Is going back home easier said than done?

rooster59

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/20/2018 at 8:28 AM, VBF said:

I trust you offset your Personal Allowance against that UK income? If your UK income is covered by the PA, then you can come OUT of SA (Self-Assessment). Even people living in UK are entitled to apply for that. It can, in certain circumstances, make life simpler.

My accountant handles it.

The biggest adjustment in moving back to the west involves courting and sex.

I am middle aged and forced to court and then sleep with middle aged women that I've begrudgingly worked to get.

I am making all the efforts and they don't have to do anything except enjoy it all while the men have to sweat their balls off trying to get anywhere with them. 

1 hour ago, The manic said:

My accountant handles it.

Because of my chequred and complex employment history I got into the habit of doing an SA. Now my total earnings come from disparit income streams the SA continues to be required and prevents me from getting into debt with the revenue man.

59 minutes ago, The manic said:

Because of my chequred and complex employment history I got into the habit of doing an SA. Now my total earnings come from disparit income streams the SA continues to be required and prevents me from getting into debt with the revenue man.

Similar. As I said, in certain circumstances one can come out of SA - sadly that doesn't apply to either of us. ☹️

It is perfectly easy to do.

But it takes about two weeks to re-adjust.

As far as sex is concerned the local knocking shop (staffed by intrepid non Caucasians) is a valuable resource and leaves you to get on with what Aussie sheilas are fine with-being good mates.

Have a beer,a chin wag and an arm wrestle..after that check your Keno ticket, load you into the jalopy,take you home,dump you at your front door,mutter "men.." kick you in the ribs and go home.

Simples..

• 4 weeks later...

So, to move the discussion out of our pants, isn't the biggest question about going home, how you left?

If you sold up everything, burnt bridges, then you're returning to some unknown rental, maybe with family support, maybe not. Tha'ts when it gets hard.

If you have maintained links back home, visited frequently, then I think it's a fairly easy transition back home

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

So, to move the discussion out of our pants, isn't the biggest question about going home, how you left?

If you sold up everything, burnt bridges, then you're returning to some unknown rental, maybe with family support, maybe not. Tha'ts when it gets hard.

If you have maintained links back home, visited frequently, then I think it's a fairly easy transition back home

Further, in some countries housing prices move up very quickly, sell out then come back 10 year later and very possible it's close to impossible to get back into home ownership.  

And if the person involved spent too much here in Thailand trying to build a 'happy family' then available cash to re-establish a serious overall negative. 

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Further, in some countries housing prices move up very quickly, sell out then come back 10 year later and very possible it's close to impossible to get back into home ownership.  

And if the person involved spent too much here in Thailand trying to build a 'happy family' then available cash to re-establish a serious overall negative. 

I think you hit the nail on the head there.

Nobody wants, or plans for things to turn south, but when you move to a third world country, often with a lady from a different culture it just can go bad...quick.

I’ve always been in the ...have a bolt hole camp

On 9/16/2018 at 4:31 AM, 55Jay said:

The underlying reason that keeps me on the fence is probably the same for many.  The housing nut. 

In my case, high cost $an Diego, Kalifornia. 

I miss the Pacific Ocean, that's the big draw.  Waters and beaches of Thailand just don't do it for me, so in a lot of ways, my time here is "cheap" dead time, just waiting for the next trip out.  Although I have been thinking about a nice double wide mobile home somewhere in Florida, and split our time here and there.  Mindful that said mobile home is a gamble during the annual hurricane seasons.

Otherwise, all the big ticket items here are bought and paid for, which makes it far too easy to simply stay, be lazy, and drift along on about $2,500 USD a month.   Granted, the hole in my CV just keeps getting bigger, and we ain't getting any younger.

California is such a tough nut to crack.

I’m a Californian by birth and and I love the place. 

Central Valley guy, lived in the Bay Area and Socal. San Diego is almost my perfect location, except for the cost

So we make compromises. Luckily I’m a snow guy anyway, and escape to Thailand for the worst of the winter

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:46 PM, catman20 said:

Couldn't do it. The UK is an absolute monster in terms of rules, regulations, and prices that are spiralling out of control for everything.

getting a bit like that here in Bkk Phuket and Pattaya

One reason that leaving LOS permanently was less traumatic than I expected was because LOS is following the west down the over regulated, excessive bureaucratic insanity road. It's lost much of the sanuk that made me love it . Yes, there are lots of things I don't like about the west, but the difference between west and LOS is diminishing rapidly. It used to be that LOS was so far superior to the west that I couldn't even consider leaving it, but that superiority is diminishing, IMO, rapidly.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:44 AM, Odysseus123 said:

It is perfectly easy to do.

But it takes about two weeks to re-adjust.

As far as sex is concerned the local knocking shop (staffed by intrepid non Caucasians) is a valuable resource and leaves you to get on with what Aussie sheilas are fine with-being good mates.

Have a beer,a chin wag and an arm wrestle..after that check your Keno ticket, load you into the jalopy,take you home,dump you at your front door,mutter "men.." kick you in the ribs and go home.

Simples..

A half hour knee trembler was never the attraction of LOS to me. What I loved was finding a nice lady to take to the beach for a couple of weeks. Try doing that with one of the knocking shop girls you are talking about

Archived