Salary negotation in Thailand

I know Thai people tend to live bargaining, at least in the market.

For jobs however, what is the accepted method of negotiating a salary with a new or potential employer?

For example if you are expecting 50K, would you ask for 60K in preparation that they will try to negotiate?

Just wondering what your experiences of this are in the Land of Smiles. 

Thanks fellow expats. 

4 hours ago, punchandjudy said:

I know Thai people tend to live bargaining, at least in the market.

Only on farang markets, on Thai markets usually nobody negotiates and the prices are kind of fixed.

4 hours ago, punchandjudy said:

For jobs however, what is the accepted method of negotiating a salary with a new or potential employer?

Since i'm not employed in Thailand i don't have personal experience, but from what i've heard i would say they don't negotiate, they either take or don't take what is offered

I experienced that the less qualified shoot high and except a reasonable wage, one explained why it is less.

Higher qualified people are normally more reasonable but jump to the next place / employer easily, when an offer comes up.

And as there's a shortage of really qualified people in many fields, it's a lot of job hopping.

On 9/16/2018 at 8:58 PM, jackdd said:

Only on farang markets, on Thai markets usually nobody negotiates and the prices are kind of fixed.

Since i'm not employed in Thailand i don't have personal experience, but from what i've heard i would say they don't negotiate, they either take or don't take what is offered

Figure out how much you want/need to make it worthwhile and aim for 10-20% more than that or if more cash is out than try and get free housing /health /car etc to make it up

Check what your salary would be in other countries to see how Thai compares etc

It’s been my experience (I have only hired here, not been hired) that if they want you, they will try to get you.

That said, if your expecting manager pay for a supervisor position you will not get it.

They should have a range that they will pay for the job. You’ll need to be in that range.

I would not go in high. I would go in at what I want. If they want you, they’ll pay it. If they don’t want you they don’t want you.

If you get an offer, they want you.

If they snatch you up such that you feel you underbid, you can act disappointed and push for housing or car allowance and whatnot.

Archived