Watching Netflix on old TV

pj123

We would like to access Netflix but we do not want to invest in a new TV. We have AIS fibre but the TV is only connected via wifi. We are planning to connect a cable to the router. The TV is downstairs and the router is upstairs connected to the alarm system. I have a WDTV Live box but the Netflix app on that does not work. I think Nvidia Shield would do the job but its a bit expensive. Any cheaper options that we could connect by LAN to the router and gives us Netflix. 

1 hour ago, MarleyMarl said:

Does the TV have HDMI? If so you can use a Roku box, it comes with a remote.

There are also android boxes you can get from the Thai lazada that will work too. 

Those Android boxes from Lazada are a good recommendation. Some of them that cost around 2000 baht are pretty decent. There would be an issue if his TV doesn't have an HDMI input but the NVIDIA Shield would have the same issue and there must be such a thing as HDMI to composite video converters.

2 hours ago, lordblackader said:

The question is whether the old TV has a HDMI port or not. If yes a Chromecast is ideal. If not you can still use a Chromecast but you'll need a HDMI to composite cable connect box - they're about 150 baht. 

Composite to HDMI cables are a scam, they don't work.

https://www.hdtvsupply.com/composite-to-hdmi-cable.html

This composite to HDMI Cable doesn't exist because:

1. HDMI is digital with pulses and composite is analog with waveforms so an composite to HDMI Cable can't work
  2. HDMI has 19 pins and composite has only 1 so an composite to HDMI Cable can't work
  3. HDMI has the HDCP copy protection signal whereas there is no composite equivalent so an composite to HDMI Cable can't work
  4. A cable is a passive device made up of 2 connectors, solder and wires. It cannot convert one digital signal into another analog signal so a composite to HDMI Cable can't work

Again, this composite to HDMI Cable does not exist and there is no such thing! If someone is selling them don't buy it as it can't ever work.

5 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

1. HDMI is digital with pulses and composite is analog with waveforms so an composite to HDMI Cable can't work
  2. HDMI has 19 pins and composite has only 1 so an composite to HDMI Cable can't work
  3. HDMI has the HDCP copy protection signal whereas there is no composite equivalent so an composite to HDMI Cable can't work
  4. A cable is a passive device made up of 2 connectors, solder and wires. It cannot convert one digital signal into another analog signal so a composite to HDMI Cable can't work

Again, this composite to HDMI Cable does not exist and there is no such thing! If someone is selling them don't buy it as it can't ever work.

But an HDMI to composite adapter works fine. The signals going the other way?

Just now, rbkk said:

But an HDMI to composite adapter works fine. The signals going the other way?

If you read the website you will see that the other way around also doesn't work.You need a converter to achieve this, but those are a bit more than 150 baht.

If you don't believe, I have the cables here, free to a good home for the price of the postage.

NOTE: This composite to HDMI Cable also could never be used in reverse and convert HDMI to Composite or S-Video signals. Go here if you need a HDMI to S-Video or Composite Scaler.

On 9/16/2018 at 2:23 PM, rbkk said:

I can recommend the Google Chromecast. Its made an old TV ="smart."

Hmm I got one of those and while youtube videos are fine (short duration ones) whenever I watch Netflix the chromecast jobbie often drops out (reboots) every 10-15 minutes - really annoying.

9 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

If you read the website you will see that the other way around also doesn't work.You need a converter to achieve this, but those are a bit more than 150 baht.

If you don't believe, I have the cables here, free to a good home for the price of the postage.

NOTE: This composite to HDMI Cable also could never be used in reverse and convert HDMI to Composite or S-Video signals. Go here if you need a HDMI to S-Video or Composite Scaler.

I have one of these in a spare bedroom. It works as advertised.https://www.lazada.co.th/products/high-quality-mini-composite-hdmi2av-1080p-hdmi-to-rca-audio-video-av-cvbs-adapter-converter-for-hdtv-hdmi-to-av-i125624937-s131837346.html?spm=a2o4m.pdp.recommendation_2.3.7da844eayrP10G&mp=1&clickTrackInfo=1a9700f7-4603-4b5b-863e-e504369937e5__125624937__5530__1__99110&scm=1007.16389.99110.0

3 minutes ago, rbkk said:

If it works is good, and that is also what I posted. What you have is a converter ( adapter) not just a cable.

The reason it is so cheap is probably maybe because it say HDMI 1.3 compatible, while these days it is minimum HDMI 1.4 or even 2.0, but if it works  forr you that's all what counts.

13 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

That's odd because I have one that works. Sure, the output of Netflix (via Chromecast) isn't great due to the down play to the lower screen resolution on the old TV but it 100% works. 

4 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

That's odd because I have one that works. Sure, the output of Netflix (via Chromecast) isn't great due to the down play to the lower screen resolution on the old TV but it 100% works. 

That is really odd, because there are plenty of links on the internet that explain why it can't work, unless you add a converter between cable and device

https://www.quora.com/Do-HDMI-to-RCA-cables-work

Cables themselves don't do the converting, the converter does that. The converter will basically change the HDMI, a digital signal, to RCA, an analog signal. So don't just buy the cables, you need the converter, otherwise, it won't work.

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+hdmi+to+rca+cables+work&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab

23 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Cables themselves don't do the converting, the converter does that.

Why start an argument over cables, the original post on the point said  "but you'll need a HDMI to composite cable connect box"

When did a box mean a cable.?

Just now, sandyf said:

Why start an argument over cables, the original post on the point said  "but you'll need a HDMI to composite cable connect box"

When did a box mean a cable.?

Why start an argument if you are not able to read? When did a cable mean a box?

The member definitely meant " to connect to the box" but missed the ":to the" in his reply.

I only warned people that those cables don't work, and i have never seen a converter been called a box.

If you read post #15 you will even see he confirmed that was the cable he had in mind, but you were probably to eager to make your post that you couldn't be bothered to read further

43 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Why start an argument if you are not able to read? When did a cable mean a box?

The member definitely meant " to connect to the box" but missed the ":to the" in his reply.

I only warned people that those cables don't work, and i have never seen a converter been called a box.

If you read post #15 you will even see he confirmed that was the cable he had in mind, but you were probably to eager to make your post that you couldn't be bothered to read further

Rubbish, you made something out of nothing.

Bottom line is that HDMI to composite does work, I do it regularly in hotels with my small box.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Rubbish, you made something out of nothing.

Bottom line is that HDMI to composite does work, I do it regularly in hotels with my small box.

So you will use a converter, instead of just a cable Mr rubbish.

By the way if there is someone making something out of nothing it must be you , because i never addressed you.

The TV hs two HDMI ports. I am now tempted to purchase the Nvidia Shield having just seen how easy it is to install and run Nordvpn on it. I would like to watch  BBC Iplayer in Thailand on my TV rather than notebook or IPad

5 hours ago, pj123 said:

The TV hs two HDMI ports. I am now tempted to purchase the Nvidia Shield having just seen how easy it is to install and run Nordvpn on it. I would like to watch  BBC Iplayer in Thailand on my TV rather than notebook or IPad

To watch BBC Iplayer you don't need a shield, it can be done on any box at a fifth of the price of a shield, and installing Nord VPN on them is exactly the same.

Check first if you can watch BBC Iplayer with Nord, because not all VPN's work, and never believe what you see in a youtube

7 hours ago, pj123 said:

I tried Nordvpn and could not get BBC iplayer to work on any device.

I also tried Cyberghost and got the BBC iplayer to work ok on Windows but it wouldn't work with the Android app on the tv box.

I gave up on the iplayer, I watch live BBC on TVcatchup which works ok with any vpn, and I watch BBC programs with Placenta on Kodi - no problem.

Archived