Visa renewal, change of category and when and where to apply

I have a non O visa based on marriage that expires in January 2019, I'm in the UK now but will be in Thailand From November until my visa expires. I want to renew but i'm separated from my thai wife so cannot do as a marriage visa

I will be 55 in April so could apply for a retirement visa.

My questions are:

Do i need to apply for a 60 day tourist visa to cover me from Feb until April or can I apply for the retirement visa early before i reach retirement age

And when and where is it best to apply for the visa.

The UK or Thailand

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If you have an extension of stay issued by immigration in Thailand you can change to one based in retirement (being over 50) in January.

If you currently are using a 1 year multiple entry visa you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement towards the end of any 90 day stay.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jackdd said:

You can get a retirement visa when you are 50 years old

What exactly are you referring to when you say a "retirement visa?"  The nearest thing to what could be called a retirement visa would be a non-Imm O-A, but that's generally only available in your home country. If the o/p is in Thailand, he would probably want an extension of stay based on retirement at an immigration office, not a visa.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

What exactly are you referring to when you say a "retirement visa?"  The nearest thing to what could be called a retirement visa would be a non-Imm O-A, but that's generally only available in your home country. If the o/p is in Thailand, he would probably want an extension of stay based on retirement at an immigration office, not a visa. 

When i say retirement visa everybody here understands what i mean even if it's not the officially used term. And regarding OP being in Thailand: He wrote he is in the UK ?

Edited by jackdd
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Suradit
Thanks for the reply and info, yes I'm referring to a non Imm O-A visa.

If you have an extension of stay issued by immigration in Thailand you can change to one based in retirement (being over 50) in January.

If you currently are using a 1 year multiple entry visa you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement towards the end of any 90 day stay.

Hi Elvia
Thanks for that, I will go down that route, what documents do I need for the extension apart from proof of savings of 800,000 baht, I cannot find any info from the thai embassies regarding extensions of stay
Cheers for your help

re: 800,000B, normally for retirement you need to produce a letter showing that you have had that minimum balance for 3 months - maybe 2 months only the first time, depending apparently on the IO. So transfer soon if they are not there already.

another document that might be needed is your residence in Thailand, either as ownership of some apartment (yellow book if you have it), or as a letter written by immigration on the basis of a statement by your landlord/juristic person in case you are renting. This and other details are relatively easy things to sort out if you'll be in Thailand a few months before. The bank funds are perhaps your main worry due to the 3 months requirement.

Once you are in Thailand, go and see an agent that deals with the immigration office you will be using. They will tell you what you need better than any website. You can still decide not to use their service later.

5 hours ago, gazben said:

Hi Elvia
Thanks for that, I will go down that route, what documents do I need for the extension apart from proof of savings of 800,000 baht, I cannot find any info from the thai embassies regarding extensions of stay
Cheers for your help

You will need to have 800K in a Thai account for 60 days if it’s your first extension, or 3 months if it’s a renewal.

On the day you apply you’ll need an updated bank passbook and a letter from the bank confirming the balance.