Nigerian, Kiwi, Thai charged in Bangkok meth bust

webfact

Nigerian, Kiwi, Thai charged in Bangkok meth bust

By Kornkamon Aksorndech 
The Nation

94acf3107c75facc2373a950531520d9.jpeg

A Nigerian man and a Thai woman have been charged with delivering 2,060 grams of crystal methamphetamine (“ice”) to a New Zealand man at a Bangkok hotel on Saturday.

A source at the Office of the Narcotics Control Board, speaking on condition of anonymity, said on Sunday initial investigation determined that John Oimma Emeka and Wararat Chansod, both 42, had reserved the hotel room where the alleged delivery took place.

cef0a5955ce4b11d2f6e805907836965.jpeg

The source said Isidor Rein, 62, of New Zealand allegedly received a briefcase with a secret compartment containing the drugs to take to his country.

Thai agencies working as part of the Airport Interdiction Task Force made the arrests following a September 12 tip-off about a New Zealand man set to receive drugs to smuggle home. 

With police on surveillance, Rein allegedly asked hotel staff to arrange a taxi ride for him on Saturday while he was waiting for “friends” in his room. 

112494443ae45fa3eeaa0c8bd7345a57.jpeg

Emeka and Wararat allegedly arrived that afternoon with the briefcase and all three people were arrested when they returned to the lobby.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30354569

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-17

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Phuket Stan said:

Isidor is of Greek origin meaning the gift of Isis or whatever....Rein is Germanic....and there ends the lesson of the day ?

It's an odd name for a Kiwi. Especially the christian name. Isis was an Egyptian goddess though, not prevalent in Greek mythology as far as I know, so I'd be interested to know if it's Greek, Mediterranean or more ancient. Whatever it's derivation, it sounds unusual for a fat, 60 something, mullet wearing Kiwi. Fake passport or free-spirited parents?

49 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

It's an odd name for a Kiwi. Especially the christian name. Isis was an Egyptian goddess though, not prevalent in Greek mythology as far as I know, so I'd be interested to know if it's Greek, Mediterranean or more ancient. Whatever it's derivation, it sounds unusual for a fat, 60 something, mullet wearing Kiwi. Fake passport or free-spirited parents?

Not even a  bl@@dy Maori name, let alone English, Scots, Irish Welsh.   

Oh, hang on a minute Cobber.......  Isidor, Isis, Irish.  Close enough!   Yep.  He is one of your typical Kiwis. 

However, he would almost certainly have got nailed going through NZ customs anyway.  They Xray ALL hand luggage and especially carefully on suspicious looking types!  Like a Greek German with a Kiwi passport and a mullet haircut.  

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Consolation for the Kiwi, is that the shirt will fit him when he is eventually released from incarceration ! :thumbsup:

I don't about the prisons here but in The U S at his age his tail hole would be a different size also.by the time he gets out.

15 minutes ago, lanista said:

Where did he find that jacket and shirt ?  I know NZ is a poor country but surely they  have better seconds than that.

He was probably going to wear it out to the airport.

Mind boggles.

He bought it brand new desu.  Methamphetamine users aren't known for their stellar personal hygiene and fashion sense.  

3 hours ago, johnnynmonic said:

Looks to be a classic case of deflection.  Phone in a tip about a guy with 2 kilos while the other mule with 6 kilos skates right on by.

I wouldn't think deflection. If that was the aim, the guy would have boarded the plane and then the ' snitch ' would phone ahead to the authorities. That way I could see your point in the authorities attention being diverted to a smaller fish and the bigger one escaping.

On this occasion, to catch him in a hotel before he has even begun his journey seems like he has just been thrown to the wolves, maybe to keep ' police numbers '  for drug arrests up there, maybe someone didn't like him or maybe, somebody had a problem with his Nigerian dealer/supplier.

On a footnote, considering his age, scruffy appearance, and dress, he definitely looks like purely a ' drugs mule'.

He certainly isn't any Pablo Escobar, that's for sure.

The Kiwi with generous belly hanging down, dressed in rags. Looks he just completed 25 years on a barstool. Definitely the type to get extra scrotiny by Customs officials on the NZ side. Can't believe he thought he could get away with it. The poor man must have been out of funds and desperate. There is always a better way to survive then to carry drugs through an international airport. No sympathy for his handlers.

Archived