Buddhist amulets worn by 70 per cent of Thais, survey finds

webfact

Buddhist amulets worn by 70 per cent of Thais, survey finds

By The Nation

ef42782c2851ff5831b6444263f85589.jpeg

More than 70 per cent of Thais wear Buddha amulets, a Suan Dusit Poll has revealed, whether as a matter of faith or worship, belief in its protective power or as a gift from respected seniors.

The most popular amulets are those bearing the likeness of the monks Luang Pu Thuad of Wat Chang Hai (47 per cent of all amulets worn) and Phra Somdej Toh (21.9 per cent).

The survey conducted among 1,126 people nationwide from September 11-15, found that 12.9 per cent wore Luang Por Sothorn amulets, 9.4 per cent Luang Phu Toh's Phra Pidta (Close Eyes) amulets and 8 per cent Luang Por Ngern of Wat Bang Klan.

Forty-one per cent of amulet wearers acquired them via “Chao Phra” purchases, 32 per cent got them from their parents, 7.7 per cent received them from respected seniors and employers, 7 per cent from other relatives, 6 per cent from grandparents, and 5.5 per cent from friends or relationship partners or free from a temple.

Nearly 57 per cent of Thais wear an amulet out of faith, spiritual dependence, or its protective power, 25 per cent due to personal religious belief, and 14 per cent out of tradition and Buddhist practice. Four per cent wear them for other reasons, including as a fashion item.

Nearly 43 per cent said the Thai Buddha-amulet market was growing fast and becoming more popular, 20 per cent found it more commercial amid price speculation, and 13.6 per cent believed the sluggish economy was slowing the market.

Another 12.3 per cent said the Chao Phra purchase system should be standardised and complained about forgeries, while 11.3 per cent saw it as a niche market where interested people could exchange items and information.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30354634

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-17

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Brain washed from day one. All religions do it because if they didn't everyone would see it for what it is. A huge con.?

You don't need religion to brainwash folks, you can have things like climate change and atheism. Folks like to believe in something, it assuages the fear of their own mortality.

19 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

You don't need religion to brainwash folks, you can have things like climate change and atheism. Folks like to believe in something, it assuages the fear of their own mortality.

That's one advantage of Alzheimers,  you forget what you believed in yesterday. Well I think that's right but can not really remember now   ?

Just now, Esso49 said:

That's one advantage of Alzheimers,  you forget what you believed in yesterday. Well I think that's right but can not really remember now   ?

Huh? What? I thought this was the "Where do I find size XXXL Adult Diapers in Bangkok" thread......

7 hours ago, overherebc said:

A large percentage of those who follow christian beliefs wear a gold cross.

Next!!

How about those that have a St Christopher statue glued to the dash board of their car ?  " Hey Mon ,Its to protect me in my Chavy"

If we extrapolate this 70% figure - and there is reason to believe that drivers are if anything more prone to wearing amulets than non-drivers - then of the fifty drivers killed each day on Thai roads, about thirty-five were wearing amulets.

One wonders what these wearers are doing wrong; perhaps amulet-power is helpless in the face of utter stupidity?

4 hours ago, AsiaHand said:

How about those that have a St Christopher statue glued to the dash board of their car ?  " Hey Mon ,Its to protect me in my Chavy"

I happened onto the remnants of a vehicle accident one morning when visiting Mexico City.  Skid marks onto the sidewalk, bits of broken glass and a bit of trim.  In the middle was a magnetic Jesus statue that came through the windshield.  Must have lost its mojo and was just left there.  I brought it back, but never sent it out to get recharged.

Archived