PM Prayut promotes growing of economic trees in Phetchabun

webfact

PM promotes growing of economic trees in Phetchabun

PNPOL610917001000401.jpg

PHETCHABUN, 18th September 2018 (NNT) – During the Cabinet retreat in the lower northern province of Phetchabun, the Prime Minister has inspected the progress of the cultivation of economic trees in line with the government’s policy of stimulating the grassroots economy. 

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha today led his offficials on a visit to the forest garden of Mr Chaisak Gesamoon in Ban Wai subdistrict, Lom Sak district, Phetchabun province. The visit was aimed at observing the growth of several types of perennial trees of economic value, such as golden teak, mahogany, Burma padauk and tamarind, and an appraisal of the timber of each. 

The government previously adopted a policy to encourage the cultivation of economic trees among Thai people, in the hope of boosting wood production to meet domestic demand while, at the same time, expanding forest areas and creating ecological balance in the country.

In ten years’ time, the policy targets the establishment of up to 20,000 economic tree communities, an increase in the total area of forestland to 26 million rai and have as many as 1 billion trees planted. It is expected that 2.6 million households nationwide will take part in the reforestation activities. 

On this occasion, the Prime Minister and members of the Cabinet were briefed by relevant agencies on their efforts to promote the growing of economic plants. The premier then presented tree saplings to local community representatives before delivering his policy address concerning economic tree cultivation. 

The government has instructed the National Research Council of Thailand to join forces with other public agencies to promote research and innovation in support of the appraisal of precious wood. An efficient valuation process is necessary for the government’s loan project for agriculturists, in which economic trees are accepted as collateral.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-09-18

This is good news. Every single vegetable field converted to hardwoods / fruit trees is a win in many ways. The government has wanted farmers to do this for a long time, now they have a well thought out plan in place and very high goals.

11 hours ago, canopy said:

This is good news. Every single vegetable field converted to hardwoods / fruit trees is a win in many ways. The government has wanted farmers to do this for a long time, now they have a well thought out plan in place and very high goals.

I don't know about the trees mentioned but I cannot wait 30 years for a return. If you look at most of the tree plantations in Oz they are merely a tax scam for the high income earners.

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

I don't know about the trees mentioned but I cannot wait 30 years for a return.

And this in fact is the key break through the government has solved for the farmers. They will go out and assess the value of the trees as they grow and pay the farmers periodically for the progress of the trees as they mature. Farmers don't need to wait 30 years. Imagine planting a thai rosewood tree that will be worth 100K baht when it matures and getting paid good chunks of that money ever so often for it as it grows. And that's just one tree, now think of a plantation of them. And not only that growing trees is much easier than the back breaking work of vegetables and better for the environment to boot. So this sounds really attractive in all respects.

1 minute ago, canopy said:

And this in fact is the key break through the government has solved for the farmers. They will go out and assess the value of the trees as they grow and pay the farmers periodically for the progress of the trees as they mature. Farmers don't need to wait 30 years. Imagine planting a thai rosewood tree that will be worth 100K baht when it matures and getting paid good chunks of that money ever so often for it as it grows. And that's just one tree, now think of a plantation of them. And not only that growing trees is much easier than the back breaking work of vegetables and better for the environment to boot. So this sounds really attractive in all respects.

Better yet, induce programs to plant prospective permanent forest to last for ages and real contribution to the broader community - in lieu of the greedy ideals of profiting on invented nature. 

3 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

That's certainly not what they have in mind.

Follow who benefits regarding these predictable schemes. 

Even if they cut all tree's after 25 years for wood it's still better than not planting any tree''s.

Climate will get more stable, air will get cleaner, wildlife will flourish, people will feel better, they can sell the wood and so on.

10 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Better yet, induce programs to plant prospective permanent forest to last for ages

You are right. I would say priority 1 is stop all encroachment and protect the remaining forests from exploitation which is a huge problem. Then step 2 is take back and reforest encroached areas.This program would be step 3, but there is no reason to have to wait till those are accomplished to start this.

Most farmers require an annual income. The rich will plant trees, and be generously rewarded. The poor will continue to grow vegetables and rice .......

And, if i plant rosewood trees and get paid a periodic payment equivalent to the trees value, what happens if someone cuts down my tree illegally and steals it? Do i have to pay the money back?

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

Most farmers require an annual income. The rich will plant trees, and be generously rewarded. The poor will continue to grow vegetables and rice .......

And, if i plant rosewood trees and get paid a periodic payment equivalent to the trees value, what happens if someone cuts down my tree illegally and steals it? Do i have to pay the money back?

And maybe they do not have forest fires here.

12 hours ago, rickudon said:

Most farmers require an annual income.

And who says they won't get an annual income with this system?

10 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

And maybe they do not have forest fires here.

This is a huge benefit of switching to trees. Farmers will no longer be doing field burning that contributes to bad air we must all breathe. Fewer field fires means fewer fires spread into forest fires. And tree farmers will be motivated to douse out of control fires instead of creating/ignoring them. So instead of farmers being part of the problem, they become part of the solution.

Farming trees is not new so keep that in mind. There are farmers in Thailand that have done it for centuries. So for every problem you can think of, the farmers already have worked out solutions. This government program seems to make tree farming accessible and attractive to the poor, rich, or just anyone who wants to do it.

12 hours ago, canopy said:

And who says they won't get an annual income with this system?

This is a huge benefit of switching to trees. Farmers will no longer be doing field burning that contributes to bad air we must all breathe. Fewer field fires means fewer fires spread into forest fires. And tree farmers will be motivated to douse out of control fires instead of creating/ignoring them. So instead of farmers being part of the problem, they become part of the solution.

Farming trees is not new so keep that in mind. There are farmers in Thailand that have done it for centuries. So for every problem you can think of, the farmers already have worked out solutions. This government program seems to make tree farming accessible and attractive to the poor, rich, or just anyone who wants to do it.

Archived