Shark net finally coming to Hua Hin beach: D-Day is Thursday

webfact

Shark net finally coming to Hua Hin beach: D-Day is Thursday

6PM1.jpg

Picture: Talk News

Talk News said that the authorities in Hua Hin have finally decided who is responsible for installing a shark net at Sai Noi beach where a Norweigan tourist was bitten five months back in mid-April. 

Werner Danielsen, 54 at the time of the attack, has since gone back to Norway after amassing hundreds of thousands in hospital bills some of which were paid by the Thai authorities. 

Initially buoys and signage were put out to warn tourists of the danger of shark attack - they were the first of their kind in Thailand. 

Now after discussions it has been decided that the Hua Hin administration is responsible for preventative measures and they are shelling out 400,000 baht for a 300 meter long net, 50 meters out at a depth of three meters. 

Talk News said that D-Day for the start of the net installation was September 20th and it would take five days to complete. 

Source: Talk News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-18

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

and how much money was allocated on a ongoing basis to inspecting and maintaining the net?

you know the answer is ZERO! 

If they don't maintain the net the sharks will escape, thus significantly impacting Hua Hin in it's quest to become a shark-attack hub.

next storm that comes through will ruin them and that will be the end of that. I watched the swimming buoys in pattaya rot away over the years I lived in pattaya as they were never de fouled. apparently they were gifted by japan after japs were getting hit by jet skis but that's a different story.

21 minutes ago, ndfdjnd said:

Presumably the depth of the ocean at that point is 3 metres.  It sounds about right for 50 metres out on a gently sloping beach.

Well there is just over a metre rise and fall so lets hope they position it at high water

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

and how much money was allocated on a ongoing basis to inspecting and maintaining the net?

you know the answer is ZERO! 

Oh no, I think there is already a large budget allocated for maintenance......Know what I mean......

On 9/18/2018 at 4:30 AM, guest879 said:

next storm that comes through will ruin them and that will be the end of that. I watched the swimming buoys in pattaya rot away over the years I lived in pattaya as they were never de fouled. apparently they were gifted by japan after japs were getting hit by jet skis but that's a different story.

They join the tsunami warning system in Phuket.

16 hours ago, scorecard said:

And the sharks will see and read and respect the underwater signs ' swimming under nets is prohibited, fine 200Baht.'

Of course they are Thai sharks so know everything about anything. In fact Hua Hin could well become the "Hub of intelligent Sharks"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived