Video: New Zealander collides with Thai motorcyclist going the wrong way on bridge in Rayong

webfact

Video: New Zealander collides with Thai motorcyclist going the wrong way on bridge in Rayong

rayong.jpg

video screen shot

A dash cam video from the car of a New Zealander driving in Rayong showed the moment he collided with a Thai motorcyclist going the wrong way in the right lane on a bridge.

The 28 year old motorcyclist was killed. He was named as a local employee called Worawut. 

Thai Rath said that he was trying to save time by going the wrong way. 

The New Zealand driver - in a Mitsubishi Space Wagon - was not named but was said to be 40 years old. 

The family of the dead motorcyclist do not intend to pursue the case. 

The presenters warned the public that such "time saving" could result in death. 

No mention was made of compensation in the case or the fate of the New Zealander. 

He had told police that after going over the brow of the hill he could not brake in time to avoid the motorcyclist.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-18

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another life lost due to stupidity, the motorcyclist was 100% at fault.

What was he doing riding in the fast lane against oncoming traffic?

The dead mans family are not pursuing the case, it would be pointless anyway.

So the family will not pursue it further... Right! But the NZ should! What about damages to his car, and the psychological factor of having killed someone, even if it's not his fault in any way.. The family should be happy if the NZ don't pursue it further! Sad for them to have lost a family member, but it was to his own stupidity. *If* the motorbike had insurance, it should take care of it, but if not (and thats not unlikely) the family should pay up. Good luck with that though!

when i go fishing at wat yai, is see loads of these stupid riders riding against traffic on the dual carriageway across from the railway line, too  lazy to go 50 yards, turn and then come down the road on the proper side

2 minutes ago, Lowryderen said:

So the family will not pursue it further... Right! But the NZ should! What about damages to his car, and the psychological factor of having killed someone, even if it's not his fault in any way.. The family should be happy if the NZ don't pursue it further! Sad for them to have lost a family member, but it was to his own stupidity. *If* the motorbike had insurance, it should take care of it, but if not (and thats not unlikely) the family should pay up. Good luck with that though!

But if the Kiwi persued the matter for compensation a la smashed truck (and the rest) the poor petals would lose their oh so vauable face. We can't be having that can we!!

However, the Kiwi was driving in the 'fast' lane with a clear 'middle' lane, he had just overtaken the light coloured pick-up. Why didn't he move over. He had 4 or 5 seconds to take evasive action

43 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

However, the Kiwi was driving in the 'fast' lane with a clear 'middle' lane, he had just overtaken the light coloured pick-up. Why didn't he move over. He had 4 or 5 seconds to take evasive action

But he was being undertaken by that black car right before the crash. If I had a car undertaking me on the left, no matter if it was in first or second lane I would wait for it to pass before changing my lane.. Just in case, and my focus would be partly in the mirrors. Anyway it also take a moment to realize that the motorbike is actually driving towards you, and not in the same direction as you.

4 minutes ago, kotsak said:

One of the reasons why I can't feel relaxed even when driving on an emtpy road here. You simply don't know what the hell will run into you all of a sudden. ?

Me too. Driving here is very stressful, requires nerves of steel and total concentration. I find a  3 hour drive Bangkok to Hua Hin is mentally exhausting.  I've started taking the train. Slow but relaxing.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Another life lost due to stupidity, the motorcyclist was 100% at fault.

What was he doing riding in the fast lane against oncoming traffic?

The dead mans family are not pursuing the case, it would be pointless anyway.

Unfortunately Thai's don't always see it that way and would likely blame the New Zealander  - If he wasn't in Thailand then this tragic event wouldn't have occurred.

1 minute ago, Chelseafan said:

Unfortunately Thai's don't always see it that way and would likely blame the New Zealander  - If he wasn't in Thailand then this tragic event wouldn't have occurred.

Although no one has stated that .

Archived