Video: New Zealander collides with Thai motorcyclist going the wrong way on bridge in Rayong

webfact

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

You've got better eyes than me, how can you determine the quality of his helmet? But even so, no helmet was ever going to save him.

Enlarge the still photo in the OP and it looks very like a V guard hat. Would fit with the industry, area, and construction work in Rayong.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

However, the Kiwi was driving in the 'fast' lane with a clear 'middle' lane, he had just overtaken the light coloured pick-up. Why didn't he move over. He had 4 or 5 seconds to take evasive action

I presume you know for sure that the middle lane was clear of any other car coming up behind the NZ driver and it was clear for him to verge over?

He was overtaken by a faster car in the inner lane since overtaking the pickup.

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Enlarge the still photo in the OP and it looks very like a V guard hat. Would fit with the industry, area, and construction work in Rayong.

If that's what you did, and the conclusion you came to, you need to get out more.

4 hours ago, Lowryderen said:

So the family will not pursue it further... Right! But the NZ should! What about damages to his car, and the psychological factor of having killed someone, even if it's not his fault in any way.. The family should be happy if the NZ don't pursue it further! Sad for them to have lost a family member, but it was to his own stupidity. *If* the motorbike had insurance, it should take care of it, but if not (and thats not unlikely) the family should pay up. Good luck with that though!

I agree but if you do what does one really expect to get or gain in the attempt?  you are most likely scrapping the bottom of the can already. Most likely the insurance on the farang vehicle would pay for the damage and then jack the policy up the next year on him.

Sad Sad state of affairs when it comes to driving.  I was on this road Sunday it could have been me?

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Another life lost due to stupidity, the motorcyclist was 100% at fault.

What was he doing riding in the fast lane against oncoming traffic?

The dead mans family are not pursuing the case, it would be pointless anyway.

Not sure if your correct in saying that for the dead mans family, to pursue the case would be pointless. We are after all discussing an event in Thailand.

7 minutes ago, marquis22 said:

I presume you know for sure that the middle lane was clear of any other car coming up behind the NZ driver and it was clear for him to verge over?

He was overtaken by a faster car in the inner lane since overtaking the pickup.

The pick-up that he (Kiwi) had just overtaken would have been in the middle lane. The black one is certainly travelling fast but in the inside lane, and possibly distracted Kiwi. I am not questioning that the motorcycle was 100% at fault, but Kiwi could have done something to avoid it.

2 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I agree but if you do what does one really expect to get or gain in the attempt?  you are most likely scrapping the bottom of the can already. Most likely the insurance on the farang vehicle would pay for the damage and then jack the policy up the next year on him.

Sad Sad state of affairs when it comes to driving.  I was on this road Sunday it could have been me?

Why, do you drive on the wrong side?   lol 

1 hour ago, tropo said:

You're the only one spouting "utter rubbish" here. The Kiwi was fast asleep or his reaction time is so slow he shouldn't be driving.

If you believe the kiwi had time to see the small motorbike then surely the motorbike had the time to see the larger vehicle and take evasive action for his stupidity.  He didn’t even attempt to pull over to miss the Kiwi. Usually the idiot motorbike drivers drive on the left hand side the wrong way so maybe the kiwi thought he was safe enough on the right lane. 

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

What was he doing riding in the fast lane against oncoming traffic?

Try reading posts instead of rushing to write a comment. Doh.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Rath said that he was trying to save time by going the wrong way. 

1 minute ago, transam said:

Well I for one was wondering why....After all the guy is dead and so could not tell folk why...

Why wonder when you've been told in the opening post? In fact why do they all ride against oncoming traffic? Common sense springs to mind.

31 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

If that's what you did, and the conclusion you came to, you need to get out more.

Go past any of the work/construction sites in Rayong at 'going home time' and 50% of the workers leaving on bikes and scooters are wearing safety hats. Usually the women are the ones with bike helmets on.

Everyone knows Thais take short cuts .. but <deleted> in the fast lane? Was he p**ed or what? But what surprised me in this video was no one even tried to avoid? It’s my belief as experienced driver .. yes even on Thai roads .. that this has ALL the hallmarks of a suicide mission ? My question is why the car driver stayed in the outside lane when the slower lane looked empty? Yes the bikers to blame but wwf?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 hours ago, Thian said:

This movie should be on the thai news every day again....too many idiots drive against traffic...Thailand only...

The family of the dead motorcyclist do not intend to pursue the case. 

for what! being in the wrong and on the wrong side of the road when he got hit and killed ?

Archived