BANGKOK
webfact

Video: New Zealander collides with Thai motorcyclist going the wrong way on bridge in Rayong

There isn't a day I drive that I don't see multiple motorcycles driving the wrong way down roads and highways, and at least a car or truck or two per week if not more.  These people are suicidal and I'll never understand.  Thank god they aren't going after the New Zealand guy as that would simply be a travesty.  RIP.  You can't fix stupid.

• Like 2

I ride a bike here and its all the time bike riders driving the wrong way no lights on at  night no helmet and they just don't care 

Thais live second by second and they have no idea about  what the out come will be 

They have a real simple  philosophy  get to were you need to be asap  no matter what the costs 

The funny thing is when you ride past them they look at you. It's  like I'm driving on the wrong side of the road it's  Bangkok  mate not New york you idiot. 

• Confused 1

Yes, the motorcylist should not have been there but (and yes there's a but) the Kiwi seems to be moving pretty quick (hard to tell but sure flies past the truck and the white pickup) but how did he not see the motorcycle. The middle lane was clear to move into to avoid the collision and there seems to be absolutely no movement to avoid.?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Hopefully this puts to bed the "Falang is always in the wrong" brigade.... 

Still, the poor NZ chappy has to suffer the guilt of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

However, the Kiwi was driving in the 'fast' lane with a clear 'middle' lane, he had just overtaken the light coloured pick-up. Why didn't he move over. He had 4 or 5 seconds to take evasive action

I wasn't there and can't answer that question. Perhaps another "expert" can opine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SunsetT said:

But, if we want to survive (and keep our stress levels down), we must accept that it is the 'cultural' tolerant norm in Thailand to do this, and we must be prepared and adjust our driving/riding accordingly.

But this is thaivisa forum so all the Thais must do exactly as the clever foreigners do, else they are stupid and dumb.  You won't get 50 likes from small-minded bigots by being open-minded.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, ttkeric said:

I envisioned that if our NZ friend took evasive action the headlines we'll be seeing is "farang fishtails while avoiding motorcycle coming the wrong way; causes massive pile up" with the emphasis on "farang causes massive pileup". 

The driver could have taken evasive action without fishtailing.  Braking hard was a mistake.  Nevertheless, the motorcycle engineered the situation and remains the only party at fault.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, ndfdjnd said:

But this is thaivisa forum so all the Thais must do exactly as the clever foreigners do, else they are stupid and dumb.  You won't get 50 likes from small-minded bigots by being open-minded.

They are stupid and dumb but through no fault of their own. If we were Thai and had passed throught the appalling Thai education system we would be too!

• Like 1