BANGKOK
webfact

Video: New Zealander collides with Thai motorcyclist going the wrong way on bridge in Rayong

55 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

Hopefully that is some black humour there. Otherwise it is one of the most illogical things that I have ever heard. I guess he had no right to be in the fast lane since that is where motor bikes are supposed to travel the wrong way....?

No such thing as a 'fast' lane.

Outside lane yes and in reality people should not be using it 'if' the lanes to the left are clear of traffic. That's why you use an indicator to signal your intention to overtake but there is no requirement to indicate left to return to the centre or left hand lane after overtaking because that's where you 'should' be.

8 hours ago, wgdanson said:

However, the Kiwi was driving in the 'fast' lane with a clear 'middle' lane, he had just overtaken the light coloured pick-up. Why didn't he move over. He had 4 or 5 seconds to take evasive action

how do we know he had got past the truck on the inside?we have all seen it you go past them and they go past you on the left,the truck could of accelerated .only the driver will know .if you look in your mirror put your indicator on look again that takes 6/8 sec.if you do it safely no the kiwi is not to blame and and when in thailand hold your lane as you never know whats coming on the inside .

• Like 2

Not only in Thailand. Unfortunately a similar accident has occured yesterday on a french highway near Avignon. A car was going the wrong way, it collided and killed a motorcyclist .... 

It is very rare. About 3000 die on the french roads every year, 25000 in Thailand. For approximately the same population. 

2 hours ago, willow wilson said:

Unfortunately he may have been wearing one of those 200bt helmets.

I still think it looks like V guard site safety hat.

No way or time  to avoid the motorcycle. With the two driving at lets say 80 kph that would make the closing rate of speed around 160 kph. Try missing something coming at you at 160. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wgdanson said:

However, the Kiwi was driving in the 'fast' lane with a clear 'middle' lane, he had just overtaken the light coloured pick-up. Why didn't he move over. He had 4 or 5 seconds to take evasive action

In a perfect world he would have

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Thian said:

This movie should be on the thai news every day again....too many idiots drive against traffic...Thailand only...

I agree with much of what you say, but not the last bit.

India, Pakistan, Vietnam, Egypt,. To name just a few I've known and I'm sure there are many more.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

Whatever professor...fast / overtaking, call it what you want. I also know very well what an indicator is for and indicating is a requirement for all changes in direction however, that strays far from the point that the motor bike rider has no right to be travelling in the wrong direction, in any lane. 

In that case you indicate going around a bend in the road because it's a change in direction????

And probably brake as well???

Edited by overherebc
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, AL said:

Not only in Thailand. Unfortunately a similar accident has occured yesterday on a french highway near Avignon. A car was going the wrong way, it collided and killed a motorcyclist .... 

It is very rare. About 3000 die on the french roads every year, 25000 in Thailand. For approximately the same population. 

I bet that was a genuine mistake by the car driver

49 minutes ago, tropo said:

So what's your point? Anything the Thai did or didn't do doesn't change the fact that the Kiwi had some time to react and possibly avoid the collision. By the looks of it, he didn't even try. Maybe he was playing a game of chicken - who's going to move over first.

My point is that the Kiwi might not have had time to react. Can you see what was to the left or the rear of the Kiwi? Can you see his speedometer if he was braking or not? Do you know if the Kiwi was playing a game of chicken?  Most probably the answer is no, yet you continually thoughout this thread claim he did have time to react. So either you know something others don’t or your deliberately trying to be antagonistic with your comments. My bet is on the latter. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrfill said:

You do realise that the helpful circle around the motorcycle was added later, I trust. With a likely closing speed around 120mph and no headlight, it is not easy to see and reaction time would have to include the time taken to realise that it was really happening.

It's actually easier to see the closing speed of a motorcycle (or any vehicle) in daylight without lights on. Again difficult to to tell but the bike (you can just see before 'the helpful circle') is maybe 100+ metres down the road. Also I would guess that 75% of the closing speed you mention was the car. Bit slower i.e. speed limit it may have been a different outcome.?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Catkiwi said:

So the Kiwi was speeding, in the lane reserved for idiots going the wrong way and recklessly drove straight into the bike on purpose? Right then, case closed!

Fantastic paraphrasing.?  Yes, it sure looks like the Kiwi was speeding and yes the idiot on the bike was going the wrong way (not uncommon here and something you should keep in mind, even crossing a road on foot) but could you please show where I stated; recklessly drove straight into the bike on purpose.

• Sad 1