BANGKOK 20 June 2019 06:23
webfact

Video: New Zealander collides with Thai motorcyclist going the wrong way on bridge in Rayong

37 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Taken out of context. The whole paragraph read:

''Expect the unexpected, slow down, move over. The road is not busy. He had plenty room around him. Defensive driving is so important here, as indeed everywhere''.

Slow down, back off and move in behind the pick up. Save your overtaking maneuver until after the bridge.

I do wonder. If the vehicle had been driven by a Thai, how many of the Thai baiting fraternity would have chimed in with comments to the affect: ''Typical Thai, driving too fast in the outside lane with no regard for safety. Me first, me first''. But, of course, he wasn't a Thai and falangs don't do that sort of thing do they.

Do they?

I'd like to think that if it were a Thai driving people would still clearly see that the motorcycle was 100% at fault. 

There are other factors at play such as getting back into the central lane, but there was also another 'undertaking' maneuver going on... I think it is well within reasonable bounds to for anyone in a similar situation to remain in their lane a little longer. 

With regards to 'delaying the overtaking maneuver until after the bridge'.. well whats to say there won't be a motorcycle coming straight at you on the inside (left most, lane 1) ???....  its certainly less expected in the outside (right most, lane 3)...  I suppose this is why most people drive in the central lane (middle lane, lane 2) whenever they can which forces undertaking.

The simple fact is - someone was driving in the wrong direction straight into oncoming traffic making an accident pretty much unavoidable. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, transam said:

So the bike had road and verge to his left to move too, what was wrong with his reactions then....?

Have you thought the biker may well have been on a suicide mission...?

Yes, and that is what investigations are for, what is that you have against them?

5 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Yes, and that is what investigations are for, what is that you have against them?

Tell me about Thai investigators.. The accident tech they have available...?

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

No, I have not made any claim to who is guilty, I just think that going by his lack of reaction it should be investigated, as it would be anywhere normal.  And as for your question, I don't know, hence why it should be investigated, an idea that seems to bother you.

The guilt clearly lays with the motorcyclist (despite any "claimed" extenuating but unproven circumstances about the car driver), he was travelling in the wrong lane! What's so hard for anyone to accept that? Sheesh! The guy is dead, unfortunately, because of his own stupid choice. 

1 minute ago, transam said:

Tell me about Thai investigators.. The accident tech they have available...?

The tech, what you mean a tape measure and a table to look up the length of skid mark in?  I think they can manage that, so again, what is that you have against the idea of crashes being investigated, and why did you take me calling for an investigation as me wanting to hang the driver?  Hyperbole much?

1 minute ago, lvr181 said:

The guilt clearly lays with the motorcyclist (despite any "claimed" extenuating but unproven circumstances about the car driver), he was travelling in the wrong lane! What's so hard for anyone to accept that? Sheesh! The guy is dead, unfortunately, because of his own stupid choice. 

It appears to me to be mostly his fault, however if it were determined that the car driver was speeding, not paying attention, drunk, etc, then some blame still lays with them.  In the West we investigate crashes with a frequent outcome being that the blame is shared, sometimes equally, sometimes not.  I have no idea why you want to "accept" something that you don't know the full story of, what is it that you and others fear from an investigation?

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

The tech, what you mean a tape measure and a table to look up the length of skid mark in?  I think they can manage that, so again, what is that you have against the idea of crashes being investigated, and why did you take me calling for an investigation as me wanting to hang the driver?  Hyperbole much?

You are just trying to hang a guy faced with daft stuff...Do ABS rides have skid marks...?

I will ask you again..Why didn't the biker use the vacant road to his left...?

Come on, WHY...?

7 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

It appears to me to be mostly his fault, however if it were determined that the car driver was speeding, not paying attention, drunk, etc, then some blame still lays with them.  In the West we investigate crashes with a frequent outcome being that the blame is shared, sometimes equally, sometimes not.  I have no idea why you want to "accept" something that you don't know the full story of, what is it that you and others fear from an investigation?

OMG - you think that the "accident investigators" are going to do the same job that you would expect that modern western nation investigators would do? Reality check my friend!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolute Moron Motorbike Rider and sadly, so typical of the fools who do the same thing day after day in the belief they have a Divine Right to flout the law.

On 9/17/2018 at 11:45 PM, wgdanson said:

However, the Kiwi was driving in the 'fast' lane with a clear 'middle' lane, he had just overtaken the light coloured pick-up. Why didn't he move over. He had 4 or 5 seconds to take evasive action

More like 2 seconds. There just wasn't enough time to change the outcome.

• Like 1

Not only a myth, I have me my self-been in an accident when a thai woman, blindfolded on one eye smashed into my car in Phichit my car was standing in a parking place and she said that it was my fault and asked me to pay for the damage on her car.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Parsve said:

Not only a myth, I have me my self-been in an accident when a thai woman, blindfolded on one eye smashed into my car in Phichit my car was standing in a parking place and she said that it was my fault and asked me to pay for the damage on her car.

Did she understand those two Anglo-Saxon words .... ...?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, transam said:

A broken down vehicle would not be coming towards you at speed would it...If kiwi was doing 60mph and the bike was doing 80mph we have a 140mph situation...

Glad to see you can add up, better than the Thai teacher in another post.

7 hours ago, transam said:

You are just trying to hang a guy faced with daft stuff...Do ABS rides have skid marks...?

I will ask you again..Why didn't the biker use the vacant road to his left...?

Come on, WHY...?

Again, I am not trying to hang anyone, I just think these things should be investigated, not sure why you're struggling to see the difference, perhaps its because of your own willingness to hang people based on little info, but that is not something I do.

Yes, ABS leaves skid marks, dotted ones.

Again, I have no idea why any of it happened the way it did, perhaps an investigation would clear up your questions.