Video: New Zealander collides with Thai motorcyclist going the wrong way on bridge in Rayong

webfact

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

However, the Kiwi was driving in the 'fast' lane with a clear 'middle' lane, he had just overtaken the light coloured pick-up. Why didn't he move over. He had 4 or 5 seconds to take evasive action

I bet you support Musk too...?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kotsak said:

One of the reasons why I can't feel relaxed even when driving on an emtpy road here. You simply don't know what the hell will run into you all of a sudden. ?

I have commented that a sure test for alzeimer's is to drive in Thailand. Your brain must be firing on all cylinders or you end up in an accident or dead.

1 minute ago, prakhonchai nick said:

stupid comment from one who really should know better

So you would chastise a farang on a three lane directional highway for hitting a bloke going down in the wrong direction...Good grief...Where I come from cops do 150mph getting to a call on the same type of road. Are you saying those cops would be at fault taking out a prat on the wrong side of the road...?

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

However, the Kiwi was driving in the 'fast' lane with a clear 'middle' lane, he had just overtaken the light coloured pick-up. Why didn't he move over. He had 4 or 5 seconds to take evasive action

Just about to say the same thing ... plenty of time, slow reaction. Doesn't excuse the idiot on the m'bike though.

Not the first nor last. Same thing earlier this year here in Pattaya motorbike taxi killed driving the wrong way up the Potomac hill with a passenger who did not object nor the she say anything.

This is a country and culture that accepts stupidity because its IQ is getting lower and lower with each generation. 

So ridiculous - always see these morons trying to save 15-20 seconds by driving against the traffic, but if you actually see them when they get to where they were going, its apparent that there was no rush at all - stop bike, stand down, check facebook / makeup / spark up a ciggie etc and drag one's feet going to one's destination...

The Kiwi is probably lucky that he had a dash cam.

I installed a system on my bike that has front and rear camera specifically because of all the BS that happens in the roads on a regular basis here. I want to be sure that if something does happen I will hopefully be able to prove that I wasn't at fault.

If you get into a "his word against yours" argument, chances are you aren't going to fare well (though in this case it would have been really hard to argue that the Kiwi was at fault anyways but - TiT.

I had a minor accident in Sisaket last April, a week before Songkran. The first thing the cop did when he came over to my bike was point at the GoPro and ask "Camera ?" (as in, he wanted to know if the camera had recorded the accident). Unfortunately it hadn't because the batteries had died 3 hours earlier.

Then, as soon as he saw me pull out the 24 hour contact number for the Insurance company, that was pretty much it for the investigation. I was almost willing to bet that even if I had recorded the incident, it wouldn't have mattered as soon as they knew I had "good" insurance.

However, as a result of the GoPro battery issue, I bought a better system that has more memory and runs off of vehicle power (and starts/stops automatically whenever I start/stop the bike as well).

Better safe than sorry !

I agree. The Kiwi had no reason to stay in the "fast" lane, and saying he only spotted the bike when coming over the brow of the hill is bs. The motorcycle was visible for long enough for him to take evasive action. He had plenty of time. The Kiwi must have been half asleep as he didn't even make an effort to swerve in the full 4 - 5 seconds the motorcycle was visible. That Kiwi should never drive again IMO.

1 minute ago, tropo said:

I agree. The Kiwi had no reason to stay in the "fast" lane, and saying he only spotted the bike when coming over the brow of the hill is bs. The motorcycle was visible for long enough for him to take evasive action. He had plenty of time. The Kiwi must have been half asleep as he didn't even make an effort to swerve in the full 4 - 5 seconds the motorcycle was visible. That Kiwi should never drive again IMO.

Total rolox, what speed was the bike doing PLUS the speed of the kiwi, add them together...?

19 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

KIWI should not have been in the outside lane.  If he was undertaken by a car in the inner lane, that is where he should have been long before the accidemt.  A typical outside lane hogger -you see it all the time -especially up here in Isaan.  That however does not take away the sheer stupidity of the motorcyclist

Look again, he had overtaken a big truck 12 seconds earlier the pickup 6 seconds before the kamikaze idiot on the motor cycle hit him which was about 2 to 3 seconds after he had good vision of possible traffic over the bridge, so you say he should have cut across two lanes in the 3 seconds after passing the pickup when he was blind to possible traffic in front and would have seen the black pickup approaching at speed.

It is certainly possible, even probable, that the black pickup contributed to the incident.

Do bother to check the video before spouting such utter rubbish.

The reality is that most of the time they do not .
Its just a TVF myth that keeps on getting repeated by forum posters 
I can assure you that as someone who has a forward thinking modern Thai girlfriend her family are not and they have said something similar on many occasions.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Total rolox, what speed was the bike doing PLUS the speed of the kiwi, add them together...?

That's total "rolox". You can watch the video and count seconds from first seen until impact. The Kiwi was sleeping. Have a coffee and watch the video again. I hope your reaction time on the road isn't that slow.

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Look again, he had overtaken a big truck 12 seconds earlier the pickup 6 seconds before the kamikaze idiot on the motor cycle hit him which was about 2 to 3 seconds after he had good vision of possible traffic over the bridge, so you say he should have cut across two lanes in the 3 seconds after passing the pickup when he was blind to possible traffic in front and would have seen the black pickup approaching at speed.

It is certainly possible, even probable, that the black pickup contributed to the incident.

Do bother to check the video before spouting such utter rubbish.

You're the only one spouting "utter rubbish" here. The Kiwi was fast asleep or his reaction time is so slow he shouldn't be driving.

8 minutes ago, tropo said:

Kiwi must have been half asleep as he didn't even make an effort to swerve in the full 4 - 5 seconds the motorcycle was visible.

You must live where time is different, it is a maximum of 3 seconds where the motorbike could have been visible. Look again. Also no headlight on the bike either & it looks as if it's easily new enough to have a permanently on light.

1 minute ago, tropo said:

That's total "rolox". You can watch the video and count seconds from first seen until impact. The Kiwi was sleeping. Have a coffee and watch the video again. I hope your reaction time on the road isn't that slow.

So a bloke driving on a one way street is at fault hitting a guy driving the wrong way....OK....Good grief......

Well it seems we have farangs here that want to hang farangs because Thai daft stuff must be taken into consideration.......I am speechless...?

He is driving on wrong side, so then he should be f%#I&%# aware of consequences, instead he just speeded on.

NO attempt to prevent collision, could be a suicide mission.

This image is burnt in the mind of the Kiwi, i hope he can handle it.

Had a same kind of experience last year, happily in town with very low speed. It almost gave me a heart attack.

And it is still in my mind. 

This you cant imagine, the motorist COMING your way on highway, just seconds and the motorist didnt do a thing.

He knew he was wrong , the Kiwi doesnt expect

.Very possible,  a suicide mission

Just now, transam said:

So a bloke driving on a one way street is at fault hitting a guy driving the wrong way....OK....Good grief......

Well it seems we have farangs here that want to hang farangs because Thai daft stuff must be taken into consideration.......I am speechless...?

This is just "rolex". My comments were about the Kiwi having enough time to avoid the collision. not about who was wrong. He had plenty of time to avoid this accident and it's pretty obvious from the video footage he was sleeping. Good grief!!!!

7 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You must live where time is different, it is a maximum of 3 seconds where the motorbike could have been visible. Look again. Also no headlight on the bike either & it looks as if it's easily new enough to have a permanently on light.

3 seconds, 4 seconds, 5 seconds. The video is not extremely clear. It's still plenty of time to avoid a head-on collision. He might have been viewing a FB message on his phone at the time.

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

3 seconds, 4 seconds, 5 seconds. The video is not extremely clear. It's still plenty of time to avoid a head-on collision. He might have been viewing a FB message on his phone at the time.

I hope you never have a ploblem regarding Thai daft stuff and ask for advise here...I have along memory....?

I had an incident earlier this year riding a saleng (3 wheeler). I was on a wide main road near our house and was about to make a left turn down a smaller road when out pops a motorcycle from that road with a guy, wife and kid on it on my side of the road so I had to lock the front wheel to stop me from running into them. I then hear the guy tell his wife that I was drunk .....

If you drive in town people just pulling out from the left without looking is a daily occurrence, it seems like they rely on other people to look out for them and correct lane positioning is optional. 

12 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It was more than 3 seconds, but even 3 seconds would have been enough to avoid this death.

Just now, transam said:

I hope you never have a ploblem regarding Thai daft stuff and ask for advise here...I have along memory....?

Why do you have to make this personal? I disagree with you, deal with it. Don't worry, I don't need your advice. Most of it is "rolex".

Do u hate N Z'S?  Fancy trying to pass blame to the innocent N Z...Your statement is idiotic n u must be a "Flat Earth"  believer...to say it the way u did...

Why did u not say; Why did the idiot Thai not move over......Could u react to your stupid statement at 100 klm?  NO!

Just now, tagalong said:

Do u hate N Z'S?  Fancy trying to pass blame to the innocent N Z...Your statement is idiotic n u must be a "Flat Earth"  believer...to say it the way u did...

Why did u not say; Why did the idiot Thai not move over......Could u react to your stupid statement at 100 klm?  NO!

Your statement is particularly idiotic. I have a NZ passport, but that doesn't mean I like every Kiwi.

Archived