Video: New Zealander collides with Thai motorcyclist going the wrong way on bridge in Rayong

webfact

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

All the above is true but really only has any impact where changes made by law or are given as ideas for improvement will have attention paid to them by the majority of drivers/riders.

Indeed... the realities of living in Thailand are such that everyone is well aware that the improvements which could be made based on findings and implementation of 'mitigation measures' such as heavier penalties, constant policing are not yet considered important enough. 

In effect, Thailand is not yet mature enough take full responsibility, as such, moronic accidents like this will continue until such steps are taken. 

Thus, the cause of the accident is obvious. However, the seriousness of the authorities in removing potential for further loss of life is questionable. 

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed... the realities of living in Thailand are such that everyone is well aware that the improvements which could be made based on findings and implementation of 'mitigation measures' such as heavier penalties, constant policing are not yet considered important enough. 

In effect, Thailand is not yet mature enough take full responsibility, as such, moronic accidents like this will continue until such steps are taken. 

Thus, the cause of the accident is obvious. However, the seriousness of the authorities in removing potential for further loss of life is questionable. 

questionable as a minimum.

18 hours ago, Pete1980 said:

Not 100% at all. 

What was the Kiwi doing in that lane?

The problem is many farangs come from countries where riding on the wrong side of the road doesnt happen and they dont adjust their driving to suit the local conditions. This is Thailand, everyday you see this, so you must adjust your driving accordingly. It is their country, up to them.

Farangs cause a lot of accidents and cause many deaths to Thais by not adjusting their driving to the conditions and then blame the Thais. When in Rome....

The rider contributed to his death, but he wasnt 100% at fault.

Good grief, i hope this is some sort of poor attempt at humour, if not then i fear you are heading for a heap of accidents!!

Rider 100% at fault.

everyday you see this

I guarantee you could drive over that bridge every day for a year or more and not see a motorcycle coming the wrong way. I do and i have not!

10 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

25,000 or so dead on Thai roads the figures speak for themselves

Perhaps it's the locals who need to adapt to their own behaviour on their roads

mai pen rai

the high death toll is just another way of doing population control

it compensates for all the boom boom without a condom

6 hours ago, LennyW said:

Good grief, i hope this is some sort of poor attempt at humour, if not then i fear you are heading for a heap of accidents!!

Rider 100% at fault.

I guarantee you could drive over that bridge every day for a year or more and not see a motorcycle coming the wrong way. I do and i have not!

Yep, spot on. This road is on my way to IRPC, and other customer plants also. Every now and then here, amongst all the usual road buffoonery and carnage, you'll see a really original 'out-of-the-box' maneuver that is heroically stupid. This was it..

Thais will always choose the easiest path between two points. Just think about raindrops running down a window pane.

Driving in the dark and ahead I see a dark shadow....turns out it is a guy with his girlfriend on the back dressed in black, but no tail lights and when he reaches another car, no brake lights. These two are just waiting to die, or be very badly injured. Then today a young woman crosses in front of us on her scooter looking down at her cell phone and riding with one hand.....doesn't anybody have a functioning brain? Is the word "Dangerous" in their lexicon?

Pretty obvious why Thailand has the worst driver death rate in the world.

26 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Driving in the dark and ahead I see a dark shadow....turns out it is a guy with his girlfriend on the back dressed in black, but no tail lights and when he reaches another car, no brake lights. These two are just waiting to die, or be very badly injured. Then today a young woman crosses in front of us on her scooter looking down at her cell phone and riding with one hand.....doesn't anybody have a functioning brain? Is the word "Dangerous" in their lexicon?

Pretty obvious why Thailand has the worst driver death rate in the world.

Thais have absolutely no concept of cause and effect, and have no common sense. Why that is I have no idea. An example that comes to mind is a lad living over the road from me took half his head off by driving his motorbike at high speed into an electric pole. Next day I saw his brother roaring off down the road on his own bike, high-speed, wrong side of the road, no helmet. And we've all seen nearly every time a motorbike pulls out of a side road the driver doesn't look to see if it's safe. It's unfathomable. how so many people can be so stupid.

• 4 weeks later...
Why cant they have a  website for this, would save huge hassles for expats and immigration ....   PHUKET: The Chief of the Phuket Immigration Office, Col Kathathorn Kumthieng, has confirmed that all foreigners registered as living in Phuket must re-report their address to immigration after being registered as staying in a hotel within Thailand, even for just one night.
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/better-if-you-do-phuket-immigration-chief-urges-foreigners-to-re-register-addresses-even-if-staying-off-island-just-one-night-65744.php#WaOEUdzeSkRVh18U.99

• 5 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:52 PM, sanemax said:

The reality is that most of the time they do not .

Its just a TVF myth that keeps on getting repeated by forum posters 

Quite the contrary. All the time they do. Be it a Thai or a foreigner, a Thai will blame the other party involved, all the time. No myth here.

When I saw an accident close to where I live, I waited a bit for the police to come. So as it is the law in my country, to remain on site as a witness.

I chose to drive home to ask my neighbour what to do, as the police were not showing up.

The answer was, 'do not stay there'.

Mainly because if a Thai is not being able to lie his way out of his responsibility because of me, my life could be I danger.

This is a land of no responsibility, for just about everything. Be it about their children, about the littering, about accidents, name it...

On 9/18/2018 at 12:21 PM, Chelseafan said:

Unfortunately Thai's don't always see it that way and would likely blame the New Zealander  - If he wasn't in Thailand then this tragic event wouldn't have occurred.

where is the tragic event? this is Darwin theory working at it's best...

On 9/18/2018 at 1:19 PM, Dorian232 said:

I drove 300+ km on what I think is one of Thailand dangerous roads on Sunday, route 212 we had over 50 mortorbikes coming towards us on the wrong side of the road, sometimes difficult to avoid them, many fid not have any lights, none had helmets, some were clearly underage, nobody followed yhe speed limits.  Police ??????? 555

Just wondering why you think this road is so dangerous

I often ride on here from Nakon Phanom up towards Bueng Kan and don't find it any more dangerous than many other roads here in Thailand

Will always find Thai idiots trying to kill you on any road, 

On 9/18/2018 at 9:27 AM, webfact said:

No mention was made of compensation in the case or the fate of the New Zealander. 

And how about compensation for the New Zealander?? And who'll pay for his car?

It''s amazing that this doesn't happen all the time in thailand because i see it all days long and the police.....oh i'm not in the mood to tell jokes right now..

On 9/18/2018 at 4:43 AM, Thian said:

This movie should be on the thai news every day again....too many idiots drive against traffic...Thailand only...

Pointless, as those socalled idiots dont read/look News ...

Even the gods fight in vain against stupidity ...

• 4 months later...
Another life lost due to stupidity, the motorcyclist was 100% at fault.
What was he doing riding in the fast lane against oncoming traffic?
The dead mans family are not pursuing the case, it would be pointless anyway.

Unfortunately all lanes are fast lanes that’s a massive problem as weaving at high speed is the norm here.. although obviously not in this case as biker was in the wrong place entirely as it’s also the norm for bikes to be on near lane hugging the side , had he been their I suspect he would still be here!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived