Video: New Zealander collides with Thai motorcyclist going the wrong way on bridge in Rayong

webfact

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ToddinChonburi said:

Oh don't worry the Thai family will soon be at the police station expecting compensation for the dead idiot.  story coming soon.

Should we guess 500,000 baht as a starting point.

Strangely, you may not be far wrong...

3 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

Not your fault,but all your fault for being in Thailand.if you not in Thailand  my husband brother be still alive.just as well the dash cam was they to show the accident.they will  be knocking on your door for money soon enough.he was wearing a helmet at lest

So you are blaming farangs when Thais are one of the worst afar as driving skills or lack thereof?  I would suggest that natives learn how to drive a d if not, stay off the roads.

Yes the Thai rider bang to rights so to speak but I was also thinking why the Kiwi did not switch to the centre lane to avoid collision he seemed to have plenty of time? (the Thai probably had G-LOC at this point and knew his last moments had arrived)

How often do we see people riding illegally against the traffic? And how often do we see police seeing this and doing nothing?

Lots of accidents wouldn't happen if the Thai police would enforce traffic rules all the time.

But for whatever reason the police mostly don't enforce laws (not even to collect bribes) and nobody is forcing the police to do their jobs. TiT

LEARN  HOW  TO DRIVE Thais...that is all.  Your incompetence at driving has lead  to far more deaths than farangs.  Stay off  the roads if  you can't adhere to basic road driving abilities.   And if- because of  your   lack of driving ability you  cause an accident, then your license should be suspended. Simple.     

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

However, the Kiwi was driving in the 'fast' lane with a clear 'middle' lane, he had just overtaken the light coloured pick-up. Why didn't he move over. He had 4 or 5 seconds to take evasive action

Yes I agree, he is not legally at fault but in the circumstances he showed very slow reactions. He could easily  have moved over especially when he could have been killed or seriously injured himself. If it were me Im sure it would have been instinctive to get out of the way of the bike. The only mitigating circumstance would be if a vehicle was blasting up behind him to imminently undertake next to him. Or...maybe his attention was elsewhere?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Rath said that he was trying to save time by going the wrong way. 

The employee told Thai Roth that he was trying to save time after accident !!! 

I don’t think that it was about saving time. It was just one of those creative riders on suicide mission. Many of them think death is only for others. We all see on roads everyday. 

2 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Might well ask why the New Zealander was in the outside lane of a 3 lane road, when the middle lane was clear, and the vehicle in the inside lane appears to be going faster than him. 

Ask that question of a typical Thai driver first - heaps hang out in the overtaking lane.

1 minute ago, TMNH said:

Exactly...stop concentrating on  those whose Visas may expired  and pay attention to all  the unnecesary deaths.

And I'm surprised that Chinese tourists would want to go to Thailand considering all the deaths.  Is there no warning amongst the Chinese?

There isn't a day I drive that I don't see multiple motorcycles driving the wrong way down roads and highways, and at least a car or truck or two per week if not more.  These people are suicidal and I'll never understand.  Thank god they aren't going after the New Zealand guy as that would simply be a travesty.  RIP.  You can't fix stupid.

I ride a bike here and its all the time bike riders driving the wrong way no lights on at  night no helmet and they just don't care 

Thais live second by second and they have no idea about  what the out come will be 

They have a real simple  philosophy  get to were you need to be asap  no matter what the costs 

The funny thing is when you ride past them they look at you. It's  like I'm driving on the wrong side of the road it's  Bangkok  mate not New york you idiot. 

Yes, the motorcylist should not have been there but (and yes there's a but) the Kiwi seems to be moving pretty quick (hard to tell but sure flies past the truck and the white pickup) but how did he not see the motorcycle. The middle lane was clear to move into to avoid the collision and there seems to be absolutely no movement to avoid.?

6 hours ago, mercman24 said:

when i go fishing at wat yai, is see loads of these stupid riders riding against traffic on the dual carriageway across from the railway line, too  lazy to go 50 yards, turn and then come down the road on the proper side

Thais will always do whatever they want, regardless of the danger and stupidity. They lack any self-discipline as they have never been taught to accept responsibility for their actions. Deeply ingrained in the culture, and nothing will change it.

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

However, the Kiwi was driving in the 'fast' lane with a clear 'middle' lane, he had just overtaken the light coloured pick-up. Why didn't he move over. He had 4 or 5 seconds to take evasive action

I wasn't there and can't answer that question. Perhaps another "expert" can opine.

1 minute ago, connda said:

There isn't a day I drive that I don't see multiple motorcycles driving the wrong way down roads and highways, and at least a car or truck or two per week if not more.  These people are suicidal and I'll never understand.  Thank god they aren't going after the New Zealand guy as that would simply be a travesty.  RIP.  You can't fix stupid.

But, if we want to survive (and keep our stress levels down), we must accept that it is the 'cultural' tolerant norm in Thailand to do this, and we must be prepared and adjust our driving/riding accordingly. A case in point is turning left at a junction. In left hand side driving countries we instinctively look right, left, and right again approaching such a junction, but in Thailand Ive reversed this, looking left 1st as there could well be some dipstick coming around that corner on the wrong side of the road; major offenders where I live being grannys with umbrellas and/or grandchildren on a motorbike!

Motorcyclist here and my biggest peeve here is other motorcycles, especially those driving the wrong way. I don't know how many times, considering how narrow some Thai roads are you get one or a bunch coming the wrong way AND expecting you to take avoiding action. 

That being said, the victim blaming here is horrendous. Do all these smart-alecks think they will be able to avoid a collision if they were in his shoes? I envisioned that if our NZ friend took evasive action the headlines we'll be seeing is "farang fishtails while avoiding motorcycle coming the wrong way; causes massive pile up" with the emphasis on "farang causes massive pileup". 

Just now, SunsetT said:

But, if we want to survive (and keep our stress levels down), we must accept that it is the 'cultural' tolerant norm in Thailand to do this, and we must be prepared and adjust our driving/riding accordingly.

But this is thaivisa forum so all the Thais must do exactly as the clever foreigners do, else they are stupid and dumb.  You won't get 50 likes from small-minded bigots by being open-minded.

Just now, ttkeric said:

I envisioned that if our NZ friend took evasive action the headlines we'll be seeing is "farang fishtails while avoiding motorcycle coming the wrong way; causes massive pile up" with the emphasis on "farang causes massive pileup". 

The driver could have taken evasive action without fishtailing.  Braking hard was a mistake.  Nevertheless, the motorcycle engineered the situation and remains the only party at fault.

9 minutes ago, ndfdjnd said:

But this is thaivisa forum so all the Thais must do exactly as the clever foreigners do, else they are stupid and dumb.  You won't get 50 likes from small-minded bigots by being open-minded.

They are stupid and dumb but through no fault of their own. If we were Thai and had passed throught the appalling Thai education system we would be too!

10 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

But, if we want to survive (and keep our stress levels down), we must accept that it is the 'cultural' tolerant norm in Thailand to do this, and we must be prepared and adjust our driving/riding accordingly. A case in point is turning left at a junction. In left hand side driving countries we instinctively look right, left, and right again approaching such a junction, but in Thailand Ive reversed this, looking left 1st as there could well be some dipstick coming around that corner on the wrong side of the road; major offenders where I live being grannys with umbrellas and/or grandchildren on a motorbike!

I always try to make the left hand mirror my first choice when turning left ever since a prick on a bike ignored my indicator turning left and tried to go past on the left. We didn't make contact but he ended up in the ditch still upright and up to his waist in water. No, I didn't help him out.

Archived