Banking coming next month to every 7-eleven

snoop1130

On 9/19/2018 at 11:10 PM, josephbloggs said:

An amazing thread full of the usual miserable posters. Facts:

• 7-Eleven is a convenience store.  It provides convenient services.
  • They don't only sell toasties and cans of cheap lager to tight farangs, they also let you pay bills.  This is convenient.
  • They provide a convenient service to a great portion of the population.  Well done convenience store for your convenience.
  • You can pay your cheap arse flights there.   Good for the moaners although most of them don't go anywhere - they just moan about the airport.  If you want a cheap arse flight because you can't get a credit card due you being close to death and a cheap arse you can pay in a 7-Eleven.  This helps people. especially cheap <deleted>.
  • 7-Eleven staff are nice and try their best.
  • Expanding services helps most Thais.  Most Thais can't do internet banking for many reasons.    You expect farmers to be paying their bills by a mobile app?  Buying feed by a few swipes of an iPhone?  No.  But now they can handle their daily business through 7-Eleven, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Good for them, good for 7-Eleven.

I fail to see the negatives in this.  

7-eleven is the most expensive place to buy alcohol and tobacco Thai shops are cheaper and many will sell after 2 pm-5 pm

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/20/2018 at 4:07 PM, SunsetT said:

Another example of how appalling the Thai education system is!

Whoa.

This came up in a previous thread on trusting 7/11 to give right change etc.

Numerous responses said 7/11 staff are university graduates and many are multi lingual..

Once again with feeling.

I think not...

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

7-eleven is the most expensive place to buy alcohol and tobacco Thai shops are cheaper and many will sell after 2 pm-5 pm

So do 7/11s.

All depends on the location and whose pocket they are in.

Several at Jomtien sell hooch in the afternoon. 

23 hours ago, Happy enough said:

one hour ago. went to my local seven. one girl is doing the books on the back shelf. group of 5 girls all ordered ice coffees. that's one cashier taken out for a good ten minutes. cashier on the left had some old dear with a pile of bills and people gave up waiting behind her. one till open and he is working the till, the microwave and the sandwich maker.

in front of me was a large group of burmese fishing dudes with all manner of drinks and snacks, a couple of school kids and others. just left in the end as did many other people. pretty normal here. at our house in bkk not so bad as it's much more middle class so hardly anyone eats heated up seven food and most pay there bills online, rarely wait there for more than a minute or so.

So ultimately your  undesirable 7-11 experience was mostly an  aberration.

I sounds like you might  have a place in Bangkok and another  somewhere in the sticks where service may be on the slower side.

Overall  I find service at 7's to be all I could ask for.

On 9/19/2018 at 11:10 PM, josephbloggs said:

An amazing thread full of the usual miserable posters. Facts:

• 7-Eleven is a convenience store.  It provides convenient services.
  • They don't only sell toasties and cans of cheap lager to tight farangs, they also let you pay bills.  This is convenient.
  • They provide a convenient service to a great portion of the population.  Well done convenience store for your convenience.
  • You can pay your cheap arse flights there.   Good for the moaners although most of them don't go anywhere - they just moan about the airport.  If you want a cheap arse flight because you can't get a credit card due you being close to death and a cheap arse you can pay in a 7-Eleven.  This helps people. especially cheap <deleted>.
  • 7-Eleven staff are nice and try their best.
  • Expanding services helps most Thais.  Most Thais can't do internet banking for many reasons.    You expect farmers to be paying their bills by a mobile app?  Buying feed by a few swipes of an iPhone?  No.  But now they can handle their daily business through 7-Eleven, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Good for them, good for 7-Eleven.

I fail to see the negatives in this.  

Good golly, Joe.

You almost sound upset and angry that there are thrifty (cheap) falangs out there.

Some people are financially challenged and are  disappointed at being so.

Maybe you should just be happy you're not one of those  unfortunate people.

Good luck

3 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

So ultimately your  undesirable 7-11 experience was mostly an  aberration.

I sounds like you might  have a place in Bangkok and another  somewhere in the sticks where service may be on the slower side.

Overall  I find service at 7's to be all I could ask for.

yeah they're ok. place in the south is a fishing village and a lot of workers rely on that seven so always busy.

if i had a problem with 7 i wouldn't use it, nothing wrong with a little humorous moan in life ?

by the way i don't know what aberration means, i'm but a simple boy

On Tue Sep 18 2018 at 8:20 PM, Catkiwi said:

Agreed Happy Enough. Many people already holding up the queues paying water, electric, ToT, AIS and whatever. I sorry sir, please wait 10 minutes while I process this international bank transfer...last time I looked there was no shortage of banks in most areas.

Night mare these 7/11.ssss...my local does not even know how to go into their computers....or scan...or dress up...or comb hairs....or leave their children and mobiles at home...and now we have Banking to deal with... Hmmmmm..

23 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

Hard to believe some people living here won't spend   20 min to open a Thai bank acc....

You still got to load with money coming from home and that is not free and the rate is far lower than exchanging cash at a Exchange booth. 

18 minutes ago, Ling Kae said:

You still got to load with money coming from home and that is not free and the rate is far lower than exchanging cash at a Exchange booth. 

In my experience the rate is really good if you transfer from a foreign bank into a Thai bank. The trick is to not allow the foreign bank to make the currency exchange and let the Thai bank do it.

Todays SCB TT buying rate for USD is 32.25.

Super rich is 32.29.

Super rich is slightly better. But you said far lower, and that's just not true.

It differs less than 0.2% 

23 hours ago, hobz said:

In my experience the rate is really good if you transfer from a foreign bank into a Thai bank. The trick is to not allow the foreign bank to make the currency exchange and let the Thai bank do it.

Todays SCB TT buying rate for USD is 32.25.

Super rich is 32.29.

Super rich is slightly better. But you said far lower, and that's just not true.

It differs less than 0.2% 

You forgot the fees. The sending bank fees and the receiving banks fees. It adds up to a lot. These days a lot of people are just bringing CASH, no fees and better rates than the TT rates and no 220 baht foreign Card ATM charges.

56 minutes ago, Ling Kae said:

You forgot the fees. The sending bank fees and the receiving banks fees. It adds up to a lot. These days a lot of people are just bringing CASH, no fees and better rates than the TT rates and no 220 baht foreign Card ATM charges.

Yes, I did forget about that.

Swedish Banks don't add a fee to send money, they try to take it by making the exchange themselves and they have a really bad rate.

I never noticed any fees when receiving here in Thailand (KTB). How much are the fees from the receiving bank?

*Edit* scratch that. Bank in Sweden charges flat fee of 50SEK (~180THB) for transfers outside EU.

They also charge 40SEK for taking incoming transfer from outside EU.

God I hate banks.

That being said, unless the receiving Thai bank charges huge amounts and the fee is flat for receiving I would still do the transfer rather than bringing cash for big amounts.

0.2% penalty + 50SEK+200THB fees is definitely worth it for large transfers.

1 hour ago, hobz said:

That being said, unless the receiving Thai bank charges huge amounts and the fee is flat for receiving I would still do the transfer rather than bringing cash for big amounts.

0.2% penalty + 50SEK+200THB fees is definitely worth it for large transfers.

Bangkok Bank charges maximum 500 baht for international deposits, so yes, agreed for big amounts it would be better than cash. But 10K or under (USD) I would just bring cash. 

Archived