What's Happening in Nan?

Shoeless Joe

It looks likely I'll be moving to Nan province (Ban Muang Jung) next year for a while, after 7 years living in Chiang Mai. What is there in the way of entertainment etc in and around Nan town? Are there decent bars with farang / ex-pat clientele, restaurants, and maybe some live music, golf?

Thanks,

Joe

Been in Nan for four months now. I'm married and of an age where bars are not an attraction for me. There is a ton of restaurants, some golf and a few bars where I understand certain vices can be purchased or taken out. The Thai wife and I shop at Big C and I see less than one farang and Thai wife per visit. We love it here...clean, green and quiet. Nan Immigration is friendly and I've never seen it busy.

On 9/19/2018 at 11:36 AM, Shoeless Joe said:

Thanks for the advice but I think not...I'd like to stay alive and uninjured. ?

Joe

Believe it or not but having driven over a good deal of Thailand over the years, the Thai drivers in Nan are far better than elsewhere in the country. I've even seem some courteous and dare I say it, good driving skills from time to time. Plus the roads are good and the traffic less than most other provinces.

1 hour ago, Chicken George said:

Nice place to visit. On the plus side there is an airport to get the hell out of there.. There is a craft beer home brewery there.. Google the place.. Its a quiet place 

I never visited Nan and I'd like to. There's an airport? Flights from CM perhaps? It's just far enough from CM that a cheap flight could be appealing (I think about 5 hours drive right?).

On 9/19/2018 at 10:39 AM, BritManToo said:

Absolutely nothing for foreigners.

Probably the dullest place outside Issan.

I live in Issan and it is far from dull. Plenty of farang bars, restaurants and nightlife in Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Nong Khai and Korat to name a few cities. I presume you are from one of those dreadful southern resorts.

28 minutes ago, genericptr said:

I never visited Nan and I'd like to. There's an airport? Flights from CM perhaps? It's just far enough from CM that a cheap flight could be appealing (I think about 5 hours drive right?).

I believe there are seasonal flights between CM and NNT on Wisdom Air. Not sure of the season. The aircraft is small, a Caravan I think I read. I'm close to the flight path at the moment and have only ever seen AirAsia and Nok commercial aircraft going in and out, they fly to DMK.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Khon Khen is dull as ditchwater, even the bus station has gone.

Korat is just a gigantic army base.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Khon Khen is dull as ditchwater, even the bus station has gone.

Korat is just a gigantic army base.

Wrong!!!! khon Kaen now has an ultra modern bus station to the south of the city centre with direct connections to most of Thailand, Laos and Vietnam. The old bus station still exists for local services, mini buses and "baht buses". A new council run bus service traverses the city with one link to the airport where the bus stop is near both arrival and departure terminals. The new buses are adapted for disabled passengers in wheel chairs. By the way I have NEVER seen a military building in the center of Nakhon Ratchisima (Korat).

2 hours ago, BoganInParasite said:

Been in Nan for four months now. I'm married and of an age where bars are not an attraction for me. There is a ton of restaurants, some golf and a few bars where I understand certain vices can be purchased or taken out. The Thai wife and I shop at Big C and I see less than one farang and Thai wife per visit. We love it here...clean, green and quiet. Nan Immigration is friendly and I've never seen it busy.

You mean Clean, Green, and Serene, rolls of the tongue easier not that i know even where Nan is, but good luck sounds like the place i would like to live these days! 

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

I live in Issan and it is far from dull. Plenty of farang bars, restaurants and nightlife in Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Nong Khai and Korat to name a few cities. I presume you are from one of those dreadful southern resorts.

hey, man,

Nan is a small place, not comparable to KK, Udon, Ubon, Korat, Nong Khai (Nong Khai is also small9.

41 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

op go to google maps and look around and use street view.

the problem with Nam is it is in the middle of no where. if you like national parks you should be ok.

found a golf club and a big c! :clap2:

They got a mid-sized Tesco a couple of years back (maybe 3).

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Wrong!!!! khon Kaen now has an ultra modern bus station to the south of the city centre with direct connections to most of Thailand, Laos and Vietnam. The old bus station still exists for local services, mini buses and "baht buses". A new council run bus service traverses the city with one link to the airport where the bus stop is near both arrival and departure terminals. The new buses are adapted for disabled passengers in wheel chairs. By the way I have NEVER seen a military building in the center of Nakhon Ratchisima (Korat).

Yeah but its way out of town now...   And the bars are no where near as good as they were a few years ago..   The best is maybe My Bar but still not as good as before..  And Blues bar is the worse..   The rest of the place is ok,  nice people

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 11:28 AM, rcjoop said:

Buy yourself a big bike, Nan province has some of the best roads in Thailand e.g. the 1148

Agree , 1148 is great on the Forza but in the Vios miserable . My TW keeps banging on about going there as her folks live there but as I get bored after 2 days there ...she can go I am staying put.

I Have lived in Nan for over eight years now and yes its very quiet but there seems to be a lot more farangs comming into town to live a quiet life There are a lot of Thai bars in town but very little places for the farang.

I have recently opened a small western/Thai restaurant not far from the air port  where you can get some good pub style meals and a cold beer.

Shoe less Joe drop me a PM and i will be happy to tell you more about Nan

On 9/19/2018 at 3:39 AM, BritManToo said:

Absolutely nothing for foreigners.

Probably the dullest place outside Issan.

You realise Nong Khai / Ubon / Udon / Khon Kaen / Buriram to mention a few are all in Issan.

You can get your nat king in most of those places too which appears to be your MO most of the time....

Archived