Health Insurance

tgeezer

In answering a post it occurs to me that there is another thing worth considering when splitting the year between your home country and Thailand.

I have been offered insurance for my stay costing about 400 GBP this year that includes repatriation and medical cover in the millions, a rise of over one hundred CBP over last year. Does anyone know of any better deals from a Thai based insurance company?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

i believe what you have is travel insurance policy, which works differently to health insurance policy.

For example with health insurance policy there is no repatriation, you are covered and can get treatment in any country or zone for which policy covers.

In my personal case, my health policy covers me worldwide except the US

I used to have BUPA but decided that since the cost just increased annually I didn’t feel that I was a ‘member’ because no consideration was given for the 30 years of paying without claiming. I discontinued it when I got to sixty, and the cost increased to about 1000GBP, but that did include repatriation which I don’t think that I need, that was thirteen years ago, it would have been money wasted I am pleased to report and ‘touch wood’.
I have asked a Thai friend to research it because there was talk of health insurance being required of visitors so it is likely that someone has obtained it in Thailand.
Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• 3 weeks later...
I used to have BUPA but decided that since the cost just increased annually I didn’t feel that I was a ‘member’ because no consideration was given for the 30 years of paying without claiming. I discontinued it when I got to sixty, and the cost increased to about 1000GBP, but that did include repatriation which I don’t think that I need, that was thirteen years ago, it would have been money wasted I am pleased to report and ‘touch wood’. I have asked a Thai friend to research it because there was talk of health insurance being required of visitors so it is likely that someone has obtained it in Thailand.

Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

If you are a visitor as in “tourist” and do not live here I think the best is thaitravelshield - online insurance.

When I was visiting while I was still working offshore I went online and in a few minutes you have insurance in case of accident or illness.

It is quite inexpensive and they have several plans to choose from the cover is 1-2 million baht I think would cover most emergencies.

Strange thing is that they want visitors to have insurance but do not insure you when you’re over 70.

The important thing is you have to do it BEFORE you enter the country the starting date is the day you enter Thailand - print out the little card with insurance number and your name and put it in your wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived