Dead in minutes! Koh Phangan has box jellyfish warning ahead of Full Moon Party

webfact

Dead in minutes! Koh Phangan has box jellyfish warning ahead of Full Moon Party

7PM.jpg

The Surat Thaini governor has ordered urgent action to protect tourists after deadly box jellyfish that can kill in two minutes were found at Koh Phangan.

A research institute found 25 deadly jellyfish of the variety Chironex Indrasaksajiae in the area of Ao Chaloke Lam bay. 

Surat Thani governor Wichawut Jinto acted after the find last week demanding that signage go up warning tourists about the danger. Supplies of vinegar for first aid have also been put on the area's beaches. 

Doctors quoted by TNA said that the signage had gone up at Had Rin where the Full Moon Party is held each month. The event attracts many foreigners who take dips in the sea. 

A net has also gone into the sea at Had Rin, the media said. 

Doctors advise that anyone stung by this jellyfish should bathe the area for 30 seconds in vinegar. Under no circumstances use fresh water to wash the sting. 

Seek medical attention immediately. 

Medical teams are prepared for this eventuality.

This relatively newly discovered variety of jellyfish is named after a queen consort of Rama 6, King Vajiravudh, according to thaiboxjellyfish.blogspot.com

Source: TNAMcot

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-19

Box jellyfish kills you in the water. You rarely even reach shore. A survivor, who was saved by a coincidental rescue team at a beach in northern Oz attending a heart attack, said it was "like being whipped with red hot barbed wire". Unpleasant.

Oh and don't forget the little Irukandji, transparent, smaller than your little finger nail, and deadly: 

"... the sting as "100 times as potent as that of a cobra ..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_jellyfish

Old Australian saying: "Everything is OZ is trying to kill you" .   

If this a confirmed case (as per the photo) all of the southern island beach areas are in big trouble. When I was living on Samui there were deaths attributed to the box jellyfish but none were ever produced. Other jellyfish can cause heart attacks or breathing problems.

There have been survivors of the box but the scars they leave are horrendous.

This could be devastating for tourism. The box jellyfish have been around for years but it seems they are appearing in numbers and in the news more and more. If they are indeed the same or equally dangerous box jelly fish that exist in Australian waters you won't make it to the vinegar. 

I was doing a Rescue Diver qualification off Phuket in 2009. I fleetingly saw a very small Box Jelly Fish in front of my face. Too late it stung me with 2 tentacles on my pinkie finger and palm of my hand. The pain was nothing that any human can relate to. 10,000 /10 on the pain scale.

Forget using urine, vinegar or any other type of neutralising agent, they DO NOT work ok.

The pain was so intense that for five days, I was self injecting with a nerve block in the finger and between the fingers, to get the pain to stop. I am medically trained and certified to administer injections.

The Pictures and my experience was sent to Dr. Lisa-ann Gershwin in Australia.

This incident was deemed so serious as the Thai marine folk said there were no "Boxies " on or near Phuket waters.

This incident was so serious, that Dr Lisa-ann Gershwin flew to Phuket to check the waters and the denial of the Thai authorities. Boxies were found at Surin Beach and on the East Coast

It's a very long story, all documented with pictures, but the bottom line is , Boxies are here in and around Phuket waters and if you get enough stinger hits, say four to five stinger threads on your body they will kill a 100 KG human being. Kids don't stand a chance.

So cut the rubbish about vinegar and urine as antidotes, that does not work for boxies.

This is not a scare thread but a very real threat of the sea.

Vinegar is for cooking and cleaning. It works for Blue Bottle stings and that's it.

6 minutes ago, pikao said:

I totally agree that vinegar does not work as an antidote to the box jelly venom but, as far as I know, it does stop the (remaining) tentacles from firing more venom, if applied in abundance.....if you make it to the beach

well then, at there's gunna be plenty of vinegar left over to put on my hot chippies 

Archived