What price a life? Man faces just one month jail after his vicious dogs kill four year old riding her bike

webfact

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Just Weird said:

A breed that was not involved in this attack.  You don't think that the entire poodle and Thai breeds that were involved should be sent into extinction also?

Yes I do.

and cats also.

Domestic animals are responsible for the deaths and almost extinction in some cases of the world's native wildlife.

Sensationalist and speculative reporting hooks the hang'em high brigade every time.

From the article in the OP (my emphasis):

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Yet the dog owner could face little more than a small fine or a short jail term.

And (again, my emphasis)...

The dog's owner - 27 year old Piyanat Daengsoi - has initially been charged with an offence related to allowing fierce animals out in the street where they could do harm.

It's typically called a 'holding charge' in the west.

Even the police say...

If negligence could be proven he could be in more serious trouble, said Pol Lt-Col Thongsuk Ratseewor.

I reckon he'll get a bit more than a slap on the wrist. Having said that, the family are probably already discussing what the going compensation rate is for a 4-year old. Pretty sure just the thought of that is getting the Thai bashers all riled up as well.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Correct. There's been more than one instance of this in the UK and the owners weren't sent to prison.

The law as it stands in the UK

If your dog does injure the person attacked, you could be sentenced to two years' imprisonment and a £5,000 fine.

That's what is available to the courts.  If your dog caused someone's death then I'm sure there are more severe laws that deal with it.

In many cases, if a dog has bitten another human, then the dog is put down, the owner is fined and often banned from ever owning a dog.

15 minutes ago, HHTel said:

That's what is available to the courts.  If your dog caused someone's death then I'm sure there are more severe laws that deal with it.

In many cases, if a dog has bitten another human, then the dog is put down, the owner is fined and often banned from ever owning a dog.

But never imprisoned, even if the child dies.

20 minutes ago, harrycallahan said:

What's the punishment for the owner when their dog takes the life of a child?

Hi Harry ,

Depends on the circumstances and if negligence by the owner was a factor . Imprisonment can be imposed , a monetary fine along with a life long ban on dog ownership .  Now that recent new laws and restrictions on ownership of listed dangerous dogs has been introduced there are fewer cases of serious dog attacks .  On my visits to the UK I no longer see packs of dogs roaming the streets . Come to think about it few if any lone dogs .  I  like dogs and can make friends with them and have a mate  who has a German Shepherd that gets excited to see me when I go to my friends house . He also has 2 smaller dogs that sit with me when I visit . "  Dog is a mans best friend " is a true statement when controlled by a responsible owner  and not to be confused with stray or untrained , diseased street dogs that endanger innocent folk  .

What words can help the parents of the young child  who died from this attack ? I cringe to imagine myself in that situation . But we are surrounded by loose street dogs every day and come to accept it as a matter of norm , until these devastating tragedies occur that are preventable but remain unaddressed .

Soi dogs have stopped my walks because of attacks and some of the dogs have collars .

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

But never imprisoned, even if the child dies.

Owners (or the person in charge of the dog at the time) who allow their pets to hurt a person face punishments of up to three years in prison for injury, or 14 years for death, an unlimited fine, disqualification from owning pets, and having their dog destroyed. It is also an offence to allow a dog to injure a registered assistance dog.

Law: Dangerous Dogs Act 1991, section 3 which applies to all dogs regardless of breed.

18 hours ago, jgarbo said:

If they're neighbors, it'll get worked out to everyone's satisfaction. Money won't save the girl, nor killing the dogs. They'll work it out.

But killing the dogs would certainly stop a repeat.

Dogs that attacked a human can never be trusted again.

1 minute ago, hansnl said:

But killing the dogs would certainly stop a repeat.

Dogs that attacked a human can never be trusted again.

True but many years ago my uncle had a GSD and the local paper-boy and his dad turned up with the police, the paper-boy having a few stitches in his hand. The dog was 'destroyed' as they say.

A good few years later it was found out the paper-boy had been in the habit of poking the dog with a stick when no-one was watching. Wasn't much use to the dog years later though.

Not as serious as this thread is and the very obvious fact that these three dogs should be put down and the owner fined heavily and receive a long custodial sentence.

21 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Kill all soi dogs....kill dogs that attack humans and heavily fine owners that allow their dogs to roam unattended........

It's 2018.....people should not be attacked and savaged by dogs!

Ahh an irrational emotional uninformed claim.  You do not know the facts of the case, but you have a solution. Well, you are wrong.

This isn't about soi dogs.  The dogs in question were mistreated and the custodian was negligent.  Don't you think this was more about a small time puppy mill operation gone wrong then it is about soi dogs? The custodian of the dogs was responsible for the event. Deal with the responsibility of individuals first and you will find that the problem of dog attacks and soi dogs will be dealt with. The custodian is not really being held accountable. The local officials that did not do anything about his care of the dogs were negligible and the Thai people as a whole are responsible because they refuse to address how dogs are kept and the responsibilities of dog owners and custodians. We wouldn't have these  issues if individuals were held responsible for their dogs,  if there was spaying and neutering and if there was licensing.

You espouse a simplistic solution that  cannot work and has never worked. Only  proper animal care and control with enforcement will work. Other jurisdictions  manage to do it, even in cultures not known for compassion.

32 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

This isn't about soi dogs.  The dogs in question were mistreated and the custodian was negligent. 

Mistreated, we don't know. Negligent, sure, he should have kept his gate closed so the dogs wouldn't have a chance to roame the streets. But this is what Thai people do, they let their dogs out to do their "toilet thing" on the streets because the owners don't wan't to deal with the poop in their gardens.

20 hours ago, ttrd said:

…. and to not forget 100k/thb for smoking on the beach, 5 years in jail for using el cigarette, 500thb for not wearing a helmet comparing to 500thb for threathening People in Public with a sword - Wearing a helmet during the sword swing the fine may then be annulated...:whistling: 

Let me know if you ever hear of anyone actually receiving these threatened fines.

It's great that the owner of the dogs has accepted full responsibility. Very unusual here. I haven't read how the dogs got out to attack the girl, but I guess it can happen at any time when your back is turned. Very sad.

On 9/19/2018 at 12:46 PM, IgboChief said:

If this was my girl, he would have begged the judge for a life-time sentence w/o the risk of a probation.

Personally I would want him to get a slap on the wrist then I could give him some proper justice

10 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

You clearly do not wish to understand dogs.  It is very important to do so if you want to be safe in Thailand.  Do give it some thought.  You would be perectly safe visiting my place.  I do not speak for wild pack dogs or attack dogs bought and trained to be savage by idiot owners.

You are talking complete nonsense

This thread concerns a 4 year old child who was savaged by three dogs who were allowed to roam freely

The child subsequently died of her injuries

I find it impossible to understand anybody who then Posts on this thread that they allow their six dogs to roam freely at will 

I clearly do understand dogs to the extent that when left to their own devices they are not just capable of killing humans they do kill them, and not just defenceless children as is proven by previous events

You are no better than the owner of the three dogs involved in this thread, if anything you are worse because you have six dogs, plus some strange ideas about the capabilities of your dogs

Its people just like you who help to make Thailand such a dangerous place by your irresponsible actions my man

I suggest you give that some thought before it's too late for some other child

Absolutely no good can come from free roaming dogs as is proved in Thailand on a regular basis

Archived