Football fans in Thailand unable to watch Champions League and Europa League games

snoop1130

Football fans in Thailand unable to watch Champions League and Europa League games

By The Nation

b7ce8daeca353b92ec4a59ce95a68498.jpeg

Thailand’s vast army of football fans were left bitterly disappointed after staying up to watch the opening Champions League games on Wednesday … and staring at blank screens instead.

TrueVisions, Thailand’s largest pay TV operator, announced that its channel beIN Sports, who were expected to continue showing Champions League and Europa League games, had failed to retain the rights for the next three seasons.

European football’s ruling body UEFA said Thai fans could watch the games live and free on goal.com after the rights were awarded to its parent company, DAZN.

But when fans tuned in all they got was a blank screen where the action should have been – and a message saying there was a problem with the stream. They were hoping to fix the problem in time for the games early Thursday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30354802

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-9-19

TrueVisions needs to be seriously sued in a class action.

1) lost the rights to broadcast HBO group of channels - no notice to customers

2) lost the rights to broadcast NHL games just before last season's playoffs (SI Sports Channel) - no notice to customers

3) lost the rights to broadcast UEFA Champions and Europa League (Bein Sports) - no notice to customers

I was unable to receive the channel that broadcast the World Cup, despite having a platinum subscription

Seems that BeIN Sports has lost these rights almost everywhere.

In France they've lost them to SFR/Altice, whose new IPTV SFR Sports subscription-based channel was so much drowning under connections yesterday that almost no one has been able to watch the Champions League matches. Lag, freezes and disconnections fiesta.

Quite a bit of bad buzz today.

2) lost the rights to broadcast NHL games just before last season's playoffs (SI Sports Channel) - no notice to customers
3) lost the rights to broadcast UEFA Champions and Europa League (Bein Sports) - no notice to customers
I was unable to receive the channel that broadcast the World Cup, despite having a platinum subscription
How is it Truevisions' fault that Bein lost the CL rights? That's just how the commercial auction of sports broadcasting rights works. Good luck with suing them!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 minutes ago, Lannig said:

Seems that BeIN Sports has lost these rights almost everywhere.

In France they've lost them to SFR/Altice, whose new IPTV SFR Sports subscription-based channel was so much drowning under connections yesterday that almost no one has been able to watch the Champions League matches. Lag, freezes and disconnections fiesta.

Quite a bit of bad buzz today.

Sounds like a bunch of companies with more money than brains. You would hope some of these companies would be properly vetted.

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

How is it Truevisions' fault that Bein lost the CL rights? That's just how the commercial auction of sports broadcasting rights works. Good luck with suing them!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I believe ZR is angry that True did not inform its subscribers about the loss. Rightfully so, but not unexpected. How often do Thai companies pass along bad news ? The word "never" comes to mind.

4 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

CH5, Amarin and True broadcast all the matches.  All those channels are free on any freeview set top box, you don't need a subscription, so why couldn't you receive them?

57 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Got all the matches on BEin here in Saudi both tonight and last night, so it mustn't be BEin who lost the rights. Could be TV companies who BEin sold the rights onto 

Without wanting to be a geek, my understanding is that rights are sold per country rather than per company. So Bein would need to buy their rights for Thailand which it looks like they haven't done.

16 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Is that on the English language Bein?

But as someone else said, rights are by country.

In the main English. Some of them have Arabs at half time but the in-match commentary is English. HD11 which has the City game on is Keys and Grey. Think I'd sooner listen to the Arabs sometimes

33 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Without wanting to be a geek, my understanding is that rights are sold per country rather than per company. So Bein would need to buy their rights for Thailand which it looks like they haven't done.

Could be right Rick, I dunno. I just know BEin here are showing them all. I'm watching Ajax V AEK at the moment

15 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

Why on earth is anyone still using True Visions these days when we have the internet?

16 hours ago, jellydog said:

Sounds like a bunch of companies with more money than brains. You would hope some of these companies would be properly vetted.

I doubt that CTH was properly vetted before being granted rights to the EPL. All they were interested in was who was offering the most money. Whether people could actually watch is completely irrelevant to them.

I hope Facebook makes a better job of presenting the EPL from next season than Amazon apparently did with the US Open tennis recently.

31 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Reliability, as the reason for this thread indicates. Of course, when it rains that reliability goes down the toilet.

I'd add quality as a reason too.

I watched the Liverpool game on BT Sport2 HD via the internet, the picture was nothing like HD quality.

This link will give some idea of whom we are beholden to for the privilege of watching loads of quite boring CL matches this year and the following two.

A British company, DAZN, is charging the equivalent of about £12 per MONTH in various parts of the world to be able to watch your favourite team.  Frankly I find that is daylight robbery, since I only want to watch one English team, but I might pay good money to watch Man City lose every other week!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UEFA_Champions_League_broadcasters

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Reliability, as the reason for this thread indicates. Of course, when it rains that reliability goes down the toilet.

People are obsessed with this rain thing. I ve still got Truevision, sometimes against my better judgement, but I like the guarantee of watching most of the major world sports events unbroken and unbuffering. The pictures from True go off only when the rain is particularly heavy, probably about three or four times in a year, and then usually for no more than a couple of minutes.

To read these threads, anyone might think that True pictures go every time it rains a bit. They dont. Honestly. Believe me....I m not making excuses for True, merely pointing out the facts!

Bein have obviously purchased the rights (as is being shown in Saudi)  & have giver True a subcontract  price to show here  but True have declined as too expensive .

This would be closer to the truth.

The WRC two years ago is a classic example, but pressure from the paying/viewing public mounted 

after missing the first game they contracted with a European operator

5 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Bein have obviously purchased the rights (as is being shown in Saudi)  & have giver True a subcontract  price to show here  but True have declined as too expensive .

This would be closer to the truth.

The WRC two years ago is a classic example, but pressure from the paying/viewing public mounted 

after missing the first game they contracted with a European operator

This is why I'm not optimistic about a deal being worked out here for CL. Its not the WC and there is no pressure from the government. 

5 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Bein have obviously purchased the rights (as is being shown in Saudi)

Again, you're missing the point. Rights are awarded per-country. That's the exact reason why I couldn't watch matches using their BeIN Connect application while I was abroad although I was subscribed. And the reason was very clearly stated in the error message, basically: no rights for the country you're in right now.

BeIN has most definitely lost the rights on C1 and C3 here in France. That's a public fact. And, I presume, in other countries as well, possibly in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, Lannig said:

Again, you're missing the point. Rights are awarded per-country. That's the exact reason why I couldn't watch matches using their BeIN Connect application while I was abroad although I was subscribed. And the reason was very clearly stated in the error message, basically: no rights for the country you're in right now.

BeIN has most definitely lost the rights on C1 and C3 here in France. That's a public fact. And, I presume, in other countries as well, possibly in Thailand.

Exactly. As an example of how widespread the current problem is, I read that viewers in the USA are having to watch the CL on Univision. Univision is a Spanish network and likely with Spanish commentary.

3 hours ago, EL159 said:

People are obsessed with this rain thing. I ve still got Truevision, sometimes against my better judgement, but I like the guarantee of watching most of the major world sports events unbroken and unbuffering. The pictures from True go off only when the rain is particularly heavy, probably about three or four times in a year, and then usually for no more than a couple of minutes.

To read these threads, anyone might think that True pictures go every time it rains a bit. They dont. Honestly. Believe me....I m not making excuses for True, merely pointing out the facts!

You're lucky. We've had plenty of heavy rain in Issan, and I've lost the service for an hour or more several times. I barely use it except for the weekend football so it probably goes far more often than I'm aware of.

Archived