Hua Hin to Pattaya ferry suspended for low season from today

webfact

Hua Hin to Pattaya ferry suspended for low season from today

1PM.jpg

Talk News Online reported that the Prajuab Khiri Khan harbormaster had issued a notice that the Hua Hin to Pattaya ferry will be suspended from today, September 20th until October 31st. 

There are too few passengers wanting to use the Royal Passenger Line in the low season. 

The service will begin again on November 1st for the high season. 

Source: Talk News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-20

Oh dear and there were TV members positively enthusing at the high passenger rates being carried.  Seems not the case and they want to introduce another one between Satthahip and Hua Hin !!   Seems likely that passenger numbers and tourist benefits were/are not the main drivers for the introduction and continuance of these services perhaps ?

But we've recently been lead to believe by TAT and City Hall that tourist numbers are up in Pattaya. This revelation should get their low-season denier panties in a bunch.

2 hours ago, Esso49 said:

... Seems likely that passenger numbers and tourist benefits were/are not the main drivers for the introduction and continuance of these services perhaps ?

Maybe they've overlooked the simple demographics of this self-proclaimed new wave of year-round, better-quality tourists? It looks like most Indians and East Asians just aren't interested in a weekend on the sunrise side of the Gulf.

There was talk of a car ferry service Sattahip to Hua Hin by the same company,maybe that would get more use ...though I would have thought Pattaya Bali Hai to Hua Hin

(Pattaya- Bangkok and other ports too) passengers/car ferry would be the more lucrative routes.

TAT criticises move to suspend Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry service

By The Nation

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) on Thursday criticised the operator of the Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry service over the suspension of boat trips on the grounds that it is low season.

The Prachuap Khiri Khan Harbour Office announced on Thursday that the Royal Passenger Line would suspend the service from September 20 to October 31 and would resume the service on November 1.

However, Orasa Avudhkhom, director of the Prachuap Khiri Khan Office of TAT, said that the low season should not be a reason for suspending services. She said boat services should only be suspended if the sea was too rough or weather conditions were hazardous.

She said the suspension of services could affect tourism in Hua Hin.

The ferry route concessionaire should have used marketing campaigns during the low season to attract business, instead of suspending the services, she said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30354873

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-20

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

But we've recently been lead to believe by TAT and City Hall that tourist numbers are up in Pattaya. This revelation should get their low-season denier panties in a bunch.

Maybe they've overlooked the simple demographics of this self-proclaimed new wave of year-round, better-quality tourists? It looks like most Indians and East Asians just aren't interested in a weekend on the sunrise side of the Gulf.

This doesnt directly reflect tourist numbers but rather the service. The cost of this service is high if you travel as a group or family, the reliability medium and connectivity wise its not on. What percentage of tourist want to travel directly between the 2 cities? What percentage would rather travel through Bkk than direct? It is an ill conceived venture that at most can work during high season and when the weather is good. Very similar to Airasia's KL flights. 

7 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Oh dear and there were TV members positively enthusing at the high passenger rates being carried.  Seems not the case and they want to introduce another one between Satthahip and Hua Hin !!   Seems likely that passenger numbers and tourist benefits were/are not the main drivers for the introduction and continuance of these services perhaps ?

Bad idea from the start. Too expensive, too slow, possibly dangerous. I covered enough of these hare-brained ad hoc ideas years ago. The doomed Jet Cat from Bangkok to Pattaya, the Yellow Wings flying boat from Bangkok to Pattaya. "How to start a business without really thinking."

Myself and a bunch of others would have used it, if it allowed motorcycles on it. Much quicker and easier to get to Krabi/Phuket (and back) instead of trying to navigate around Bangkok.

We have coastal ferries in BC that service small towns along the Straights of Georgia between Vancouver Island and the Mainland. The smallest boat can handle 12 cars and 95 passengers/crew:
Nimpkish_475w.jpg.4fb472a689d2181c01182fad45feb65c.jpg

The next largest ones can handle around 26 cars and 150 passengers/crew (to Canadian Safety Standards I might add).

QUADRA_QUEEN_II.jpg.8e37e013762cf42bafc92b07ec2ceccc.jpg

Both are "ro-ro" boats (roll on - roll off). Basically means you drive on at one end and straight off at the other.

When I first heard they were going to start such a service I was hoping they'd use something similar to these boats, even if they said no to cars (because of where they were docking) but allowed motorcycles. 12 cars (capacity) probably equals nearly 70 scooters.

Basically the same kind of ferry they use on the Koh Chang run (but hopefully in better condition). 

Alas it twas not to be. Strictly a passenger ferry from one coastal city to another. Might have been better to make a Pattaya (or Sattahip) route to Samui/Surat Thani instead so people could get to/from that area to Pattaya (or visa versa) easier.
But that would be a long ferry ride (420 kms as the lame duck flies) !

2 hours ago, 1337markus said:

About 3 years until China finds it safe to return. LOL

In that period of time, the Chinese will have found alternative and better destinations for their vacations.

They are already starting o spend a lot more of their money in Cambodia, and a large Chinese Consortium is building a purpose built resort to nearly rival Macau when completed.

Such is their faith in Cambodia as a Tourist destination,there is no such development here in Thailand, and there is never likely to be so.

3 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

This doesnt directly reflect tourist numbers but rather the service. The cost of this service is high if you travel as a group or family, the reliability medium and connectivity wise its not on. What percentage of tourist want to travel directly between the 2 cities? What percentage would rather travel through Bkk than direct? It is an ill conceived venture that at most can work during high season and when the weather is good. Very similar to Airasia's KL flights. 

Well no .., it does . Because clearly plenty of tourists travel between the 2 by boat in the high season in comparison to low.

also keep in mind , they did lot just decide over night, I am certain 2-3 month of loosing money , the decision was made to suspend until it gets busier. 

I am in hotel biz and can tell you same month last year I was at 65-75% occupancy on daily basis , this year I am 0-20% and not much for next month either and same on previous month

6 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Exactly, lower the fare and I and lots of other people would use it. 

6 or 7 hours by bus or just over 2 hours on the ferry was a no brainer for me. That said I was travelling alone, had I been with a few others then it would have been bus or drive.

When I took my family over for a treat we went Club Class for 1,500 Baht each.  Bloody expensive compared to Dover - Calais.  On board the Club Class was full and economy down below was empty.  It shows two things - there are some people who will go whatever the price but there are many more who would go if the price was lower.  If they priced Economy at 500 Baht it would be full every day and Club Class probably would be at 1,000 Baht.  But that's not the Thai way.

4 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Myself and a bunch of others would have used it, if it allowed motorcycles on it. Much quicker and easier to get to Krabi/Phuket (and back) instead of trying to navigate around Bangkok.

We have coastal ferries in BC that service small towns along the Straights of Georgia between Vancouver Island and the Mainland. The smallest boat can handle 12 cars and 95 passengers/crew:
Nimpkish_475w.jpg.4fb472a689d2181c01182fad45feb65c.jpg

The next largest ones can handle around 26 cars and 150 passengers/crew (to Canadian Safety Standards I might add).

QUADRA_QUEEN_II.jpg.8e37e013762cf42bafc92b07ec2ceccc.jpg

Both are "ro-ro" boats (roll on - roll off). Basically means you drive on at one end and straight off at the other.

When I first heard they were going to start such a service I was hoping they'd use something similar to these boats, even if they said no to cars (because of where they were docking) but allowed motorcycles. 12 cars (capacity) probably equals nearly 70 scooters.

Basically the same kind of ferry they use on the Koh Chang run (but hopefully in better condition). 

Alas it twas not to be. Strictly a passenger ferry from one coastal city to another. Might have been better to make a Pattaya (or Sattahip) route to Samui/Surat Thani instead so people could get to/from that area to Pattaya (or visa versa) easier.
But that would be a long ferry ride (420 kms as the lame duck flies) !

A ferry such as in the pictures would probably have a top speed of about 12 knots.  It would take 5 hours plus to get there.

48 minutes ago, whitfield said:

A ferry such as in the pictures would probably have a top speed of about 12 knots.  It would take 5 hours plus to get there.

True. They are using a catamaran ferry on the Hua Hin/Pattaya run that does the trip in 2 hours.

BC Ferries did have some "FastCat" catamaran ferries at one point but they turned out to be overly expensive and overly ineffective. Much bigger than the ones I pictured as well. They could carry 250 cars and 1,000 passengers and could do the equivalent of the  Pattaya/Hua Hin trip in 90 minutes (or less if they didn't care about the waves and other boats/docks/shorelines).

16 hours ago, Deli said:

Sad but as long as they don't accept vehicles on the ferry... it won't work out for them.

Probably dead right, also the fare is quite high, maybe putting on a low season special might fill the boat up. better to have a full ferry of paying customers then only a handful at a high fare.

No wonder, it was not a question if but rather when. 

Adjust the tariffs to comparable levels. A bus from Pattaya to Hua Hin costs X, hence the ferry (faster in time) can cost marginally more and not THB 1'230 (starting price, one way). 

Same with the network of trains. Why should I board a Bangkok-bound train in Nong Khai which is delayed from the start and costs me more than THB 1'500? The alternative is a THB 200 van to Udonthani airport and a THB 590 - THB 950 (Don Muang) or THB 890 - THB 1'250 (Suvannaphum) air ticket. 

If you cannot match the costs then either reduce the costs, upgrade the service/frequency or stop operating - simple physics law in business. 

Last not least, be honest. The ferry operator's website refers to the temporary halting with:
"Due to Royal Passenger Liner stop service at date today - 31 Oct 2018 because have stormy and windy on this period. *For safety to customer operator are not sail. However if Royal passenger liner back to open service before or after this period we will update to you again in next information."

Beginning of the end?

This has to be a service that no one needs and it looks like all the previous attempts, it is doomed to failure.

I get the impression that the only reason it has lasted so long is because it has massive funding from somewhere.

If there is to be a proper service across the gulf, it needs to answer a real need which in turn would almost certainly need government subsidies.

E.g. A car/truck ferry service linking Eastern Seaboard, Bangkok and a couple of ports along the Southern Gulf Coast might at least answer a public need even if it didn't turn a profit.

In the meantime it would come as no surprise if some unexpected misfortune befalls the current service preventing it from resuming.

Archived