Thai women travelling alone abroad: Authorities assume sex work

webfact

Thai women travelling alone abroad: Authorities assume sex work

2PM.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A Thai woman went online to recount her experiences of being banged up in a Johur Bahru immigration cell for three days.

But posters told her that it was par for the course - Thai women travelling abroad alone especially to other places in Asia are often assumed to be working in the sex industry.

The woman said on Pantip under the name "Fernchiu" that she had been to Malaysia in the past with friends and family to Kuala Lumpur.

She arrived at Johur Bahru airport at midnight with no Ringgit but told immigration that she intended to change Thai money with a friend she would be staying with who would be going to Thailand later. 

2PM1.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

She had no hotel booking as she was staying with the friend, she said. 

Immigration put her in a cell. They allegedly refused to let her contact the friend who was waiting outside the airport. 

She managed to get help after exchanging notes with an Indonesian woman who was also being held and appeared to be in the next cell. 

Comment online basically said: What do you expect? Thai women travelling to places like Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong and Korea have usually told their families they are going to work in salons or restaurants. 

Then they sell sex. 

No wonder the authorities in these countries are suspicious. 

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-21

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, they tell to families that go to work in restaurant, and later they send home a lot of money, but the families go on to believe that they are working in a restaurant.....thai hypocrisy....i dream one day will finish this culture, because it's a shame for Thailand!!!!

Arriving in a foreign country with no currency or any proof of accommodation is pretty damn stupid. What did she really expect? 
It says she had thai bath, they should be okay with that, perhaps she had too little or none.

7 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Just need to look at marriage certificate. If married within the last 2 weeks, they probably have other things on their mind. The new husband is not one of them.

sorry i don't like putting confused emojis on people posts without reason but i am a bit confused as to what you mean?

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

Arriving in a foreign country with no currency or any proof of accommodation is pretty damn stupid.

I do it all the time.

Airports usually have ATMs, and I like to look around before I book into a hotel.

Been to Kuala Lumpar many times, never had any Ringgit or accommodation, VISA waiver on entry for 90 days, and all they require is you have a ticket out within that time frame. Loads of exchange booths at the airport, I change 1,000bht which is plenty for the bus into town and dinner.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I do it all the time.

Airports usually have ATMs, and I like to look around before I book into a hotel.

Each to their own then. Not something I would ever imagine doing when arriving at an airport in another country. 

Not just in neighboring Asian countries. Tried to help get a visitor's visa to the US for a Thai lady friend. She is almost picture perfect for one, ten years in a responsible job, elderly parent, just purchased a new car, new house, etc. Everything that says she is going to come back.
Learned after she was turned down that there had recently been a scandal involving a Thai "sex ring" in the US, and was told that embassy, Homeland, etc. personnel  had been instructed to assume....

14 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Infantile reasoning. She is a Thai, not the product of a western school system.
How many Thai people know any of the Roman alphabet at all? 

You cant know many Thais, most are pretty good at reading and some even writing, they are hopeless when it comes to speaking it. I do know 6 year old Thais that write better than the example shown, most Thais are not as stupid as this women.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Comment online basically said: What do you expect? Thai women travelling to places like Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong and Korea have usually told their families they are going to work in salons or restaurants. 

Tzzzzz meanwhile uncle Tu is desperately looking for skilled workers?

47 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Learned after she was turned down that there had recently been a scandal involving a Thai "sex ring" in the US, and was told that embassy, Homeland, etc. personnel  had been instructed to assume....

It's not only Thais, lately I've been getting KYC/AML rounds from banks because my address is here. I guess Thailand has deservedly been added to many shit lists. Should be added to many more.

49 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Ever been outside the big city?

You need to back up outrageous claims with some real evidence, 85% complete lower secondary, not drop out by 12!

According to UNESCO’s 2017/8 Global Education Monitoring (GEM) Report, there remain substantial challenges to the quality of education in Thailand:

• 99% complete primary education, but only 85% complete  lower secondary education

9 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

It's not only Thais, lately I've been getting KYC/AML rounds from banks because my address is here. I guess Thailand has deservedly been added to many shit lists. Should be added to many more.

As much as many of us Farang enjoy living here, Thailand is seen as a regressive, whoring dump. And, they have mostly earned the reputation. They earn it by routinely over staying visas, working illegally and engaging in all kinds of shady business. And, Thais with money and education are often worse than their less educated countrymen. The problem here is culture. Most everyone aspires to exploit and break laws and rules. 

Archived