Koh Tao and its mountain of garbage awaiting disposal

webfact

Koh Tao and its mountain of garbage awaiting disposal

Koh-Tao.png

Local administration officials on the popular resort island of Koh Tao have heaved a big sigh of relief after a municipality in Poonpin district of Surat Thani province has agreed to accept 45,000 tonnes of garbage from the island for disposal.

About 50,000 tonnes of garbage have been left on the compound of a garbage  disposal plant on the island and the amount is increasing by about 30 tonnes each day.  Worse still, the only incinerator has not been working for quite some time.

Lately, Advance Alliance Logistics has won the contract to dispose the mountain of garbage by having them compressed and packed in small packs, shipped to the mainland in Surat Thani and then transported by trucks to a clean power generating factory in Khon Kaen to be burned as fuel.

Full story: http://www.thaipbsworld.com/koh-tao-and-its-mountain-of-garbage-awaiting-disposal/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-09-21

1 minute ago, Thian said:

To Khon Kaen? Is there not one closer to koh tsao?

45.000 ton of plastic, how many trucks full is that? 10 ton in a truck means 4500 trucks driving 800 km to burn some plastic?

That is absolutely crazy! what a waste of fuel, not to mention the pollution caused by thousands(?) of trucks.

It would be easier to bury it under the huge pile of BS generated by the RTP whenever a crime is committed erroneously reported.

42 minutes ago, webfact said:

Worse still, the only incinerator has not been working for quite some time.

Thai incinerators are designed not to work. For confirmation check with Koh Samui residents. The incinerator there has not worked for about 10 years and the garbage must be over 250,000 tonnes. How many generations before Thailand itself becomes one huge rubbish dump. Then see how many tourists come.

If Koh Samui has about 250,000 tons of rubbish and Koh Tao about 50,000 tons, It clearly does not make sense to transport it by Ferry and road to an incinerator on the mainland.  The Government would do well to fund an incinerator on Samui, who couls then take in all the rubbish from the smaller Island around it, rather than waste money buying things like submarines et al.  Tourism makes one of the biggest contribution to the GDP.............oh, I forgot, disposing of rubbish does not provide a lucrative income for those feeding from the trough!

21 hours ago, Thian said:

To Khon Kaen? Is there not one closer to koh tsao?

45.000 ton of plastic, how many trucks full is that? 10 ton in a truck means 4500 trucks driving 800 km to burn some plastic?

You actually believe any of it is going to make the entire 800km trip? 

When there are so many empty stretches of highway (Well, empty in the sense that there are few witnesses.  Not empty with respect to the piles of trash already there) where a few thousand tons of trash will hardly make an impact on the trash already dumped there.

They have tried installing the incinerators on many islands but after about one year they cannot be bothered keeping them in working order & are just left standing idle.

One that I know of was a state of the art from France 10 years ago, been sitting idle for over 8 years

& on checking by the manufacturer the gas bottle for pre ignition had run out. Took the guy who had flown from France 20 minutes to get it back on line

I am not a Thai basher but this one is very Thai

Compared to Koh Samui as far as tons garbage is concerned Koh Tao is an amateur :whistling: Pffffff

"About 50,000 tonnes of garbage have been left on the compound of a garbage disposal plant on the island " 

555... Ridiculous, they play in the yard of the little ones, in Samui two years ago we had 250 000 tons :guitar:

Khon Kaen has a "clean power" generating plant that burns unsorted/misc garbage for fuel????

https://www.aecen.org/index.php/stories/khon-kaen-plans-power-plant-munch-trash-mountains

No date on this article that I can see. But considering KK supposedly had 800,000 tons of accumulated garbage, that plant seemingly was going to be booked for a good long while.

Pointing out that his Northeast province was among the country's top 10 for total accumulated garbage, Theerasak said the city's 98-rai dump in Ban Kham Bon, Muang district, now contained 800,000 tonnes of rubbish.
The second long-term solution, a power station to turn garbage into electricity, is waiting to be granted permission to begin construction next month and should be completed by early next year.

The power plant is designed to dispose of 450 tonnes of garbage per day - 250 tonnes of which would be new garbage.

Operating at this rate, the plant should be able to get rid the backlog of garbage within seven years, said Theerasak. The dumpsite would then be turned into a green recreational space for the local community, he added.

As best as I understand it, burning garbage is an actually clean environmental manner is no easy task that requires a high level of technology and maintenance.  Two elements that I seriously doubt are present in the current government-run refuse disposal industry in Thailand.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere in the vicinity of one of these Thai government run incinerator plants.

Thailand becoming ‘garbage bin of world’

national June 11, 2018 04:00

By PRATCH RUJIVANAROM
THE NATION

Waste policies encourage wrong choices; reducing, reusing and recycling should come first, say environmentalists.

“Waste-to-energy is one of the most polluting methods for both waste management and power generation, because not only will burning garbage emit toxic pollutants, but the leftover ashes are also very hazardous and require very careful disposal in a secured landfill. And so building many small waste-to-energy plants is a very bad decision,” Penchom said.

As of the end of 2017, the Alternative Energy Development and Efficiency Department reported that there were 15 waste-to-energy plants operating – both biogas plants and waste incinerators – and generating a total 42.82 megawatts of electricity. Nine of these waste-to-energy plants in Bangkok, Phuket, Samut Prakan, Tak, Saraburi, and Khon Kaen are waste incinerators operated by private companies.

Lack of waste segregation was another big problem that needed addressing to properly operate a waste-to-energy plant in Thailand, Penchom said. The waste-to-energy plants in Hat Yai and Phuket, were burning all kinds of garbage for power, without segregation to pull out less flammable materials, thus causing serious environmental problems and also damaging the operational system of the plants, she said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30347404

They have tried installing the incinerators on many islands but after about one year they cannot be bothered keeping them in working order & are just left standing idle.
One that I know of was a state of the art from France 10 years ago, been sitting idle for over 8 years
& on checking by the manufacturer the gas bottle for pre ignition had run out. Took the guy who had flown from France 20 minutes to get it back on line
I am not a Thai basher but this one is very Thai
Standard reaction.
If something broken, don't bother to repair it....

5 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Compared to Koh Samui as far as tons garbage is concerned Koh Tao is an amateur :whistling: Pffffff

"About 50,000 tonnes of garbage have been left on the compound of a garbage disposal plant on the island " 

555... Ridiculous, they play in the yard of the little ones, in Samui two years ago we had 250 000 tons :guitar:

Considering Samui is ten times bigger not ridiculous at all 555

The admin officials are having it right off.first they plunder the funds to run and repair the incinerator,then they call for funds to contract out the transport of the waste so getting another bonus.they must be laughing all the way to the bank.no wonder most Thais would give their right arm for a government job.

20 hours ago, jimmynewbie said:

Considering Samui is ten times bigger not ridiculous at all 555

"Koh Tao is an amateur":whistling:Pffff ....+ "They play in the yards of the little ones"

I love when people seem to answer seriously to what was obviously not a serious post at all.

OK I will do the same: Sorry Sir but Koh Tao is 21 square kilometres and Koh Samui 228.7 square kilometres so only eleven times bigger!

So stop lying to people when it suits you :tongue:  This time I'm serious. Not.

Archived