Many English teachers do not have work permits!

tilbrook007

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, colinneil said:

You need to mind your own business.

So if somebody is working without a work permit, that is their business not yours.

Everything you do is whiter than white perfect?

Depends. If working in the same field with workpermit it pisses me off if others are working without, saving on the hassle and expense that I have to go through.

If you wish to expose this alleged illegal work, then do so to the appropriate Thai authorities. Do not  consider that ThaiVisa in any way shape or form is the appropriate channel to report what you have alleged to be is illegal work by aliens.

1 hour ago, tilbrook007 said:

Here’s your chance to talk about the subject! I worked for a company that employs about 400 people that do not have work permits!

did you ask them why so many without work permits?

did they have any difficulty helping you obtain your work permit?

44 minutes ago, tilbrook007 said:

My point is to expose this!

Please be very, very (very) careful. Remember that Thailand has draconian libel and defamation laws, the statements don't even need to be untrue, just damaging.

This is the reason Thaivisa has the "no name-and-shame" forum rule, any posts giving the name of the company will be removed.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

What were these 400 people doing for jobs ? That a lot of people to be flying under the radar, suprised the Thai tax or police office hasn't caught up with the company.

There is no connection between paying income tax and having a work permit.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Depends. If working in the same field with workpermit it pisses me off if others are working without, saving on the hassle and expense that I have to go through.

If one finds oneself working alongside unqualified staff and you are not in the first flush of youth, then this should be a wake-up call for how much/little your career pathway has progressed and therefore time for a little review and reflection. Let it drift beyond a certain age and you're sunk. Ending up denouncing employers and/or the system gets one nowhere other than revenge for a trap which might have been evaded.

I know of at least one major language school and several small ones that rely on employing "part-time" teachers especially in corporate teaching....

Their official position is that it is up to the teachers to sort out visa/work permit. In reality it is virtually impossible for this to happen.

These teachers have neither B visa nor work permit and in many cases have fake degrees.

Before a teacher turns up at any company to teach or any other worker for that matter, the company should require copies of degree, work permit and visa.

They might be surprised at how many people can't provide these documents.

BTW. It is very easy to spot a fake degree...for a start they are listed on the "unaccredited degree" web page of Wikipedia.

It is a contestant source of surprise to me that RTI don't ever check this and accept some totally implausible docs as genuine.

51 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I know of at least one major language school and several small ones that rely on employing "part-time" teachers especially in corporate teaching....

I  know of a major school franchise that was closed down for this reason last year, plus several one-man / two-man bands, both Thai and farang.

Given the amount of investment and time and effort it takes to open a school, it seems absolutely crazy to me that a licensed school of any size would risk closure by not following simple clear rules on work permits.

The biggest cheaters at the moment are agencies, and I'm sure their days are numbered too.

4 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

I  know of a major school franchise that was closed down for this reason last year, plus several one-man / two-man bands, both Thai and farang.

Given the amount of investment and time and effort it takes to open a school, it seems absolutely crazy to me that a licensed school of any size would risk closure by not following simple clear rules on work permits.

The biggest cheaters at the moment are agencies, and I'm sure their days are numbered too.

The reason is the lawsgoverni.g employment of teachers and setting up language such tools take no account of the fact that a large proportion of staff have by definition to be foreigners.

Pert from anything it ensures that a lot of teaching is substandard,something that Thailand can hardly afford.

With the new work permit lawsuit may in fact become easier for tteachers to work with a legal permit....but it still doesn't get over the plethora of fake degrees........ when I used to recruit teachers for EL I was astounded by the number of total losers who expected me to believe that the university of Belford was real.

I've messaged a well known jobs site asking he stop posting PT jobs as they can't possibly come with work permit. Still going on.

Many smaller agencies do not bother with wp. They figure you'll leave in a year maximum. Often sooner. Do not work for agencies - especially small agencies with offices in sketchy parts of or near Bangkok.

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

The reason is the lawsgoverni.g employment of teachers and setting up language such tools take no account of the fact that a large proportion of staff have by definition to be foreigners.

Pert from anything it ensures that a lot of teaching is substandard,something that Thailand can hardly afford.

With the new work permit lawsuit may in fact become easier for tteachers to work with a legal permit....but it still doesn't get over the plethora of fake degrees........ when I used to recruit teachers for EL I was astounded by the number of total losers who expected me to believe that the university of Belford was real.

Have you actually set up a language school?

I dont understand what you're saying in your 2nd sentence.

I'm having difficulty trying to figure out what you mean by the "new work permit lawsuit" too.

Spotting fake degrees is easy enough, fake unis are easy to identify on the internet.

16 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

Have you actually set up a language school?

I dont understand what you're saying in your 2nd sentence.

I'm having difficulty trying to figure out what you mean by the "new work permit lawsuit" too.

Spotting fake degrees is easy enough, fake unis are easy to identify on the internet.

Yes.  TV has a problem with Android predictive text ... but I'm sure you can work it out.

Then  we come to the crux of the matter, what are you trying to say with your post? You haven't expressed an opinion.

I've already posted some sites for checking degrees...The point is that immigration and employers don't bother.

Archived