Our Beef Tonight

thaigerd

When shopping this morning I hear a strange voice talking to me:"Take me home, take me home!"

As I turned around I found out it was a beautiful peace of meat in the display from Argentina which talked to me :o

So I went a bit closer and checked out her body:

Just perfect, fat at the right places and not too much, when checked the weight and price I decided to take the stunner home.

Some salt and pepper and fried in the pan, adding some onions to get a nice colour and taste. Bayleaves, junniper bells, garlic, mustard and some tomato paste.

Oh, forgot some stripes of bacon and 2pcs cloves.

After all these ingredients are getting nearly burnt add some chicken/vegetable stock, not too much. Now reduce again until all liquid is cooked away and add again some stock, repeat this procedure until you have a real dark colour than add a lot of your stock, cover your pan/pot and simmer very slowly until meat is soft.

Take the beef out of the pan, strain the gravy into another for final adjustments: additional seasoning and some starch.

We will have roasted potatoes and green peas & carrots with it.

My wife eats it with a spoon for the gravy coz she loves it:

[attac

ment=24271:IMG_1161.jpg]

Looks tasty. The perfect pot roast.

(How is beef transported to Thailand from Argentina? Whole sides frozen there, then thawed and butchered here? Or butchered there, frozen, shipped, then thawed here and sold?)

Looks like vacuum packed from Argentina.

So butchered and frozen there, shipped via a reefer container via ship, then thawed, at the retail outlet, and sold here.

Sounds great Gerd, just like all your other recipes. We've exchanged ideas before about Euro food - I think maybe juniper berries and sauteed cabbage last year. But this recipe seems a fusion of ideas. In all my years of cooking beside many Europeans, i never saw a combination that used juniper, and mustard, and bay leaves, and tomato paste. Even the use of garlic is very odd given the other ingredients. Again, it sounds and looks great. Wish I was there to eat some. Will probably even try this myself.

But tell me, is this a fusion of ideas you came up with ? A family recipe ? Or is it a regional thing ? You're from Eastern or Northern Europe right ? I just like to understand the origins of recipes.

My Romanian Grandmother made pot roast very similarly. And so do many French and Italian chefs. Just usually no juniper or mustard. ANd maybe some red wine instead. The mustard n juniper seems a Germanic touch. Interesting.

Sounds great Gerd, just like all your other recipes. We've exchanged ideas before about Euro food - I think maybe juniper berries and sauteed cabbage last year. But this recipe seems a fusion of ideas. In all my years of cooking beside many Europeans, i never saw a combination that used juniper, and mustard, and bay leaves, and tomato paste. Even the use of garlic is very odd given the other ingredients. Again, it sounds and looks great. Wish I was there to eat some. Will probably even try this myself.

But tell me, is this a fusion of ideas you came up with ? A family recipe ? Or is it a regional thing ? You're from Eastern or Northern Europe right ? I just like to understand the origins of recipes.

My Romanian Grandmother made pot roast very similarly. And so do many French and Italian chefs. Just usually no juniper or mustard. ANd maybe some red wine instead. The mustard n juniper seems a Germanic touch. Interesting.

Good guess, I'm German.

But the recipes I am following have no nationality, just put in what I like or think it will be a good taste.

Gerd

I have to log off now and go and eat something.

Still in Phuket Croc?

No Gerd, sorry we didn't catch up. I was hoping you would be at the "secret Tv party".

My fault for not getting in touch, I seem to have run out of time. Two weeks isn't enough.

I'll be back in may/June for a month. Definately catch up then.

I'd have to give it a shot of red wine, then finish the bottle while I'm scoffing it. Wife won't eat beef.

Even if I get a piece of fresh killed fillet from the village market and just sizzle it rare, I've gotta make a little red wine sauce in the juice.

Slice fillet about 25 mm thick, saute sliced onions in butter or olive oil, remove and place to one side. Turn up heat, add a little more butter or oil, throw in steak slices. Shield eyes with hand, ignore wife's screams, turn steak, when brown both side but still kicking in the middle, remove and add a good splash of plonk. Shield eyes etc. Reduce, throw in onions and some ground black pepper, salt to taste. Serve on steak with boiled spuds and green beans. Finish red wine, ignore wife.

I have to log off now and go and eat something.

Still in Phuket Croc?

No Gerd, sorry we didn't catch up. I was hoping you would be at the "secret Tv party".

My fault for not getting in touch, I seem to have run out of time. Two weeks isn't enough.

I'll be back in may/June for a month. Definately catch up then.

That's why it's called "secret Tv party" mate :o

Gerd