Safer roads will boost Thai GDP by 22 per cent: World Bank

webfact

Safer roads will boost Thai GDP by 22 per cent: World Bank

By PRATCH RUJIVANAROM 
THE NATION 

c98efe05a9076ded5871187df905f30d.jpeg

file photo

THAILAND could gain significant long-term economic benefit by making the roads safer and saving its mainly young and capable population from premature death in accidents, the World Bank says.

A report released earlier this year, titled “The High Toll of Traffic Injuries: Unacceptable and Preventable”, concludes that, if road traffic injuries could be reduced in Thailand by 50 per cent and satisfactory road safety sustained for 24 years, the economy would enjoy a 22-per-cent boost. 

Dipan Bose, one of the researchers involved, said the key to earning that substantial benefit was ensuring that productive young people live long enough to contribute to the country’s prosperity. 

Instead, they’re dying or being maimed in road crashes while still young.

5b4e322763579f263cb8facca472dabf.jpeg

Dipan Bose

“Road traffic injuries are the single largest cause of mortality and long-term disability among people in the prime working ages of 15 to 29 years old,” said Bose of the World Bank’s Global Road Safety Facility.

“By improving road safety, we can save many young and valuable people – human capital – from being killed or disabled in road accidents,” he said in an exclusive interview with The Nation earlier this week.

Statistics indicated that three out of four victims of traffic accidents were young and male and most were poor families’ breadwinners. 

By losing these productive young people, not only does the country lose the benefit of their economic contributions, but their families suffer heavily as well.

According to the Thai Road Safety Centre, 15,256 people died in road accidents last year. Nearly 79 per cent of the deceased were male and most were 16 to 25 years old. 

Bose said improved road safety also brings welfare benefits to society. The researchers calculated that, if the road-accident mortality rate could be halved from now to 2038, 138,168 deaths could be prevented.

025cc72f458f31d38071b8af11bc0665.jpeg

That would lead to macro-level income growth, generating an additional flow of income equivalent to 22.2 per cent of Thailand’s 2014 GDP, he said, and provide general welfare benefits to society ranging from $850,000 to $1.8 million. 

With the potential for such high economic and social gains, said Bose, Thailand and other middle-income countries would be wise to give priority to making roads safer.

Improving the infrastructure, promoting use of public transport and encouraging people to walk or cycle rather than driving would all accomplish this.

Thailand’s roads are the second deadliest in the world, according to the World Health Organisation, with accident fatalities topping 36 per every 100,000 people and an annual estimated death toll above 24,000.

That breaks down to 66 people dying daily on the roads, causing preventable financial loss equivalent to 3 per cent of Thai GDP.

More than 11,000 deaths and 717,000 injuries have occurred|in road accidents in Thailand so far this year.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30355064

imageproxy-1.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-24

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, webfact said:

Improving the infrastructure, promoting use of public transport and encouraging people to walk or cycle rather than driving would all accomplish this.

I agree with the above, except that "encouraging people to walk or cycle" will be as easy as pushing string uphill.

No one here wants to walk, when the majority see it as a loss of face, due to others thinking they can't afford better transport. So many will use a motorcycle to go 50/100 metres to a shop for a minor errand.

"...Statistics indicated that three out of four victims of traffic accidents were young and male and most were poor families’ breadwinners. 

By losing these productive young people, not only does the country lose the benefit of their economic contributions, but their families suffer heavily as well..."

Fascinating article, and it is hard to argue with either the logic and/or assessments of the problem. I wonder how many more analysis' there are at the WB to assist in solving Thailand's issues? I'd LOVE to see one a day printed and discussed in the Nation... 

Will the Thai government take heed of the data make a genuine effort to fix the situation? Sadly, I doubt it. As @z42 noted above, it would have to be the police that were the leaders of any road safety initiative, and I don't see them doing anything.

It is frustrating to see solve-able problems ignored! 

T.I.T. strikes again...

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

Safer roads will boost Thai GDP by 22 per cent

So when some idiot is contemplating overtaking a stream of traffic at high speed on a winding road he will stop and think........."I'd better not do this, it might affect the GDP".

Fascinating - Thai road fatality rates per 100,000 vehicles are 25% LESS than the South East Asian average. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Cold comfort to those who have lost loved ones to the roads.

But Thailand’s high road death rate per 100,000 population has to do with Thai wealth - everyone here can afford a motorbike. Our safety record is not that bad, and will continue to improve with helmet and seat belt enforcement, truck inspections and the massive ongoing investment in new roads.

One of the few areas where the current government deserves some credit.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

2 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

Fascinating - Thai road fatality rates per 100,000 vehicles are 25% LESS than the South East Asian average. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Cold comfort to those who have lost loved ones to the roads.

But Thailand’s high road death rate per 100,000 population has to do with Thai wealth - everyone here can afford a motorbike. Our safety record is not that bad, and will continue to improve with helmet and seat belt enforcement, truck inspections and the massive ongoing investment in new roads.

One of the few areas where the current government deserves some credit.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

You forgot the Thai "don't give a stuff" attitude, which includes the BiB....????

Words, new regulations, more amulets around ones neck will not make a difference in traffic deaths until 1) drivers start respecting/ following rules of the road ( plus common sense) and there is a active police force giving out traffic tickets. Question for Thais to ask themselves: “Why do other countries have fewer fatalities?)

2 hours ago, Cadbury said:

So when some idiot is contemplating overtaking a stream of traffic at high speed on a winding road he will stop and think........."I'd better not do this, it might affect the GDP".

If that idiot had a smattering of English he might think it means Gotta Damnwell Pass.

Sure, the rest of the world knows that. But trying selling this GDP story to the idiots who speed around in buses/lorries/pickups/cars/motorcycles with failing brakes and worn tyres, beating red lights and sometimes driving/riding against the flow of traffic. Try telling the population to start having a slightly more first-world mentality rather than a me-first and save-face third-world immaturity. Then try telling the idiotic brown clowns to get off their lard-<deleted> and start doing some real police work - let's start with enforcement. Honestly, one would have better luck teaching defensive driving techniques - to a rock.

1 hour ago, SuperTed said:

But Thailand’s high road death rate per 100,000 population has to do with Thai wealth - everyone here can afford a motorbike

I think the finance companies would disagree, most can scrape together a deposit but I'm sure there are many defaulters.

Ah the World Bank, still pumping out that propaganda to force 3rd world countries to take out loans.

And nice they conveniently didn't mention it's probably going to cost Thailand 30% of GDP to upgrade roads so that they are of a standard to promote safer driving.

Could they be trying to push Thailand into taking out one of those high interest loans?

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Statistics indicated that three out of four victims of traffic accidents were young and male and most were poor families’ breadwinners. 

By losing these productive young people, not only does the country lose the benefit of their economic contributions, but their families suffer heavily as well..."

Fascinating article, and it is hard to argue with either the logic and/or assessments of the problem. I wonder how many more analysis' there are at the WB to assist in solving Thailand's issues? I'd LOVE to see one a day printed and discussed in the Nation... 

Will the Thai government take heed of the data make a genuine effort to fix the situation? Sadly, I doubt it. As @z42 noted above, it would have to be the police that were the leaders of any road safety initiative, and I don't see them doing anything.

It is frustrating to see solve-able problems ignored! 

T.I.T. strikes again...

Exactly!   If the police did their job, the 50% who won't use a helmet after sunset might think again, and save a few lives.  It's incredible in Chiang Mai, to see University students, farangs, and others who should know better, to hang their helmets on their bikes, and take off into the night.

Just let things drag on, and the country will continue to lose so many young people.

Age 0-10 killed riding between mom n dad on Scooter

Age 11-15 killed driving Scooter which should be ILLEGAL AS H3LL!

Scooters stay off the Sidewalks, stay on the road and FOLLOW THE DIRECTION OF TRAFFIC and DON'T SPLIT LANES!

60 lives saved daily

5 Legal drivers with drivers license lives saved daily

1 life saved daily wearing seat belt and sitting IN a vehicle saved daily

-----

66 lives live on/day

Archived