Prayut still top choice for PM, poll finds

webfact

Prayut still top choice for PM, poll finds

By The Nation

4bbd8da3d2cb2f9ef30fb2edc1304e0c.jpg

File photo

Public opinion has again named General Prayut Chan-o-cha as the most popular choice to be prime minister after the next election – but there’s doubt the political party linked to him will be a winner – according to a new poll.

In the Nida Poll results released on Sunday, 28.8 per cent of respondents picked the Pheu Thai Party to win the election now scheduled for February 24.

Most respondents have no faith that date will be honoured, however. Nearly 53 per cent said they expected another postponement. More than 45 per cent said they trusted the government on the schedule. That left 2.1 per cent unsure.

The Palang Pracharat Party, which plans to nominate Prayut as its prime ministerial candidate, finished second with 20.6 per cent support among poll respondents.

It was followed by the Democrat Party (19.6 per cent), Future Forward Party (15.5) and Seri Ruam Thai Party (4.2). 

Nida (the National Institute of Development Administration (Nida) polled 1,251 eligible voters age 18 and up in all regions of the country last Monday and Tuesday (September 17-18).

Prime Minister Prayut was the top choice to lead the post-election government, garnering 29.7 per cent of support from the respondents, it found.

Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan, a leading candidate to become the next Pheu Thai Party leader, was second with 17.5 per cent of support.

She was followed by Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit of the new party Future Forward (13.8 per cent), the Democrat Party’s Abhisit Vejjajiva (10.7), Seri Ruam Thai’s Seripisut Temiyavej and Pheu Thai’s Wirode Pao-in.

In three prior Nida surveys, Prayut always came first among the same group of possible candidates.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30355057

imageproxy-1.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-24

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Statistics (especially under the junta) are of course meaningless and do not necessarily bear any relation to reality - as will the 'election' (really SELECTION) of Prayut as the next leader. It is all a waste of time now - unless the Thais act (nearly half of whom are said to 'trust' the junta's word about the election ) - but they won't (not in sufficient numbers, anyway).

Those of us who are older have to resign ourselves to living out the rest of our days under a Prayut-style 'government' in Thailand. The writing is so very clearly on the wall.

Oh well, the marvellous, realistically acted and intellectually challenging Thai soap operas will still be on, whatever happens. So you see - it's not all bad!

18 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

He is the leader in the poll because all others have been banned from campaigning.

Lift the ban and watch the numbers change.

Doh!

And of course the poll was organized by NIDA.

5 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Statistics (especially under the junta) are of course meaningless and do not necessarily bear any relation to reality - as will the 'election' (really SELECTION) of Prayut as the next leader. It is all a waste of time now - unless the Thais act (nearly half of whom are said to 'trust' the junta's word about the election ) - but they won't (not in sufficient numbers, anyway).

Those of us who are older have to resign ourselves to living out the rest of our days under a Prayut-style 'government' in Thailand. The writing is so very clearly on the wall.

Oh well, the marvellous, realistically acted and intellectually challenging Thai soap operas will still be one, whatever happens. So you see - it's not all bad!

That's about the sum of it.Monstrous though developments are, I feel less engaged than a few years ago: it's somewhat absurd for a foreigner to feel strongly on matters most Thais seem not to care about.It's all up to the Thai people and the remedy is in their hands. But I see no sign of other than occasional mild discontent - certainly among the Bangkok middle classes.And the whole region is moving in a direction inimical to democracy.So as you say one can always enjoy the soap operas (though I hate them).

Prayuth is asking, 'Is this my left or my right? . . . I forget. Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is an Article 44 Magnum, the most powerful article/ice cream in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?'

Funny poll, because if he is so popular to become a PM then why are parties supporting him not popular.. the poll itself is contradicting itself.

Not that I have much faith in Thai polls they almost always reflect what the person who ordered them wants to show. Never seen it any other way junta or no junta.

What the poll didn't tell you is that the percentage of top choice for PM is that he is on the decline. The last poll, he was in the 32+%. Other notable details are that Thanathorn overtake Ahbisit in the 3rd top choice. Rest are consistent with previous. Anyway, the poll is better left to be believed. 

7 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

What the poll didn't tell you is that the percentage of top choice for PM is that he is on the decline. The last poll, he was in the 32+%. Other notable details are that Thanathorn overtake Ahbisit in the 3rd top choice. Rest are consistent with previous. Anyway, the poll is better left to be believed. 

Well spotted EL . . . you weren't an analyst in your other life, by any chance?

19 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

What do you exactly mean with left to be believed ? Do you mean its credible ? Because if this is true then it would mean a huge loss for the PTP..  Because 28.8 is a lot lower then they ever scored.. I am not so sure about that. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

In three prior Nida surveys, Prayut always came first among the same group of possible candidates.

Are they trying to show a crisis in Character and leadership in Thailand?  No poll is necessary for that.  Just read the news. 

The future forward party has promise as do those who criticize the junta.  If fairness plays out, than Thais will prosper. 

Well they could have polled Buriram which now might be the same as polling parts of Bangkok now they they have a promise for truck loads of free government money promised.. But what all these polls are is a demographic target to give the reply they want. 29.7% of what is still 29.7% of what? But next week they may say 35% and then in 1 month 40%, and then in 2 months around December a whopping 65% and the people would be no wiser except for saying wow, I'm going to vote for the winner. Who knows what the strategy is, but it will not be fair. 

1 minute ago, fullcave said:

I predict that there is no way in hell he's not coming back as PM to guide the country into the future. PM for life! Enjoy the election.

...and under his tutelage I predict that they will all march boldly together into the 15th century.

I agree with 'Jayboy' that it is all rather boring,and as 'Eligius' says it now has all the intellectual content of a lakorn-without the superb acting so often on display.

25 minutes ago, robblok said:

What do you exactly mean with left to be believed ? Do you mean its credible ? Because if this is true then it would mean a huge loss for the PTP..  Because 28.8 is a lot lower then they ever scored.. I am not so sure about that. 

It will only be credible if you believe in it. Different poll have different results. Suan Dusit poll in June had PTP way in front at 55.02% and PPP way down 4th spot at 17.39%. Quick forward, PPP crept closer to PTP and shoot up to second spot. Not sure to laugh or be alarmed.  

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

It will only be credible if you believe in it. Different poll have different results. Suan Dusit poll in June had PTP way in front at 55.02% and PPP way down 4th spot at 17.39%. Quick forward, PPP crept closer to PTP and shoot up to second spot. Not sure to laugh or be alarmed.  

I disagree.. me believing in something won't make it more credible. Credibility is based on having enough respondents, a good cross section of the populace (main problem I think).

I won't speculate here and will wait for election results as those are the ultimate test. My opinion is that Thai polls like this are generally not trustworthy as they are used as a propaganda tool reflecting what the person who is in charge wants it to reflect.. by putting questions in a certain way ect ect. The other problem is that is hard to get a cross section of the Thai populace.

I believe poll tests in my country (can't say much about the rest of the world) is far more reliable as the institute that carries them out is more professional and less bias. In Thailand i would not trust them as much as back home and even there they are not always correct but often close.

Archived