Prayut still top choice for PM, poll finds

webfact

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

I disagree.. me believing in something won't make it more credible. Credibility is based on having enough respondents, a good cross section of the populace (main problem I think).

NIDA poll is neither to be believed or has much credibility. Even their chief pollster resigned and in his famous words "don't have to lick their boots". That came after NIDA refused to release a poll on whether Prawit need to declare his 2 dozens expensive watches that he claimed borrowed from friends. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

NIDA poll is neither to be believed or has much credibility. Even their chief pollster resigned and in his famous words "don't have to lick their boots". That came after NIDA refused to release a poll on whether Prawit need to declare his 2 dozens expensive watches that he claimed borrowed from friends. 

I think we are in agreement... its what i was saying all the time I don't have too much faith in Thai polls. 

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

But there are pleasures from living in Thailand even if the politics are depressing.The departing British Ambassador Sir Anthony Rumbold said it best.

"I have very much enjoyed living for a while in Thailand. One would have to be very insensitive or puritanical to take the view that the Thais had nothing to offer. It is true they have no literature, no painting, and only a very odd kind of music — that their sculpture, their ceramics and their dancing are borrowed from others — and that their architecture is monotonous and their interior decorations hideous. Nobody can deny that gambling and golf are the chief pleasures of the rich — and that licentiousness is the main pleasure of them all. But, it does a faded European good to spend some time among such a jolly, extrovert and anti-intellectual people!"

Am  guessing he'd  already left before saying that?

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

What the poll didn't tell you is that the percentage of top choice for PM is that he is on the decline. The last poll, he was in the 32+%. Other notable details are that Thanathorn overtake Ahbisit in the 3rd top choice. Rest are consistent with previous. Anyway, the poll is better left to be believed. 

I entered the figures on a spreadsheet, and unless ,I am comletely wrong, the trendline puts him at 17% by February

Too much coffee this morning.

14 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

He still has the biggest stick; the military have the last say. Any party can nominate him. 

Don't shoot the messenger, but what if the Thaksin clan got elected? What would happen then? 

I think in that unlikely event they would have to move the government to Dubai or London ????

1 hour ago, RickTik said:

I can believe that.

Prayut has done a good job.

Yes . . . a good job of turning Thailand into an international laughing stock. Problems or not, at least the country could hold its head up with some degree of pride before Prayuth and his thousand troops forced their way in. He and his joke of a government are an utter disgrace in every conceivable respect.

Tell me, RickTik, what improvement has Prayuth/junta brought to Thai quality-of-life as a result of his or the Junta's initiative, as opposed to systems, processes and projects that were already ongoing in May 2014. I can't think of one. In fact, whichever way I look, I only see regression.

Mrs. Connda will no doubt vote for him as she was aghast at the violence and civil disorder that the various 'color revolution' brought the the streets.  A lot of other Thais will probably vote for him and his party for the same reason. 

5 minutes ago, connda said:

Mrs. Connda will no doubt vote for him as she was aghast at the violence and civil disorder that the various 'color revolution' brought the the streets.  A lot of other Thais will probably vote for him and his party for the same reason. 

Sad, but probably true.

7 hours ago, YetAnother said:

disturbing

Boring, (safe) superficially moralistic, (god-fearing) authoritative. (tells me what to do. I need that) and Army (Seen as safer than many other institutions including the rich & privileged and  Amart)  No surprises there.  A very popular mix for an unsophisticated voting population.   AND he said he was going to fix traffic and poverty by the election so we can't argue with that, yet???? can we?

Probably one of the reasons he hasn't announced whether he is running or not is that he needs to be absolutely sure he will get in. Where would diddums turn if he announced it only to be crushed in the election. The narcissist wouldn't be able to handle it. He would get thrown out of his playpen along with his rattle.   

8 hours ago, jayboy said:

And of course the poll was organized by NIDA.

That's about the sum of it.Monstrous though developments are, I feel less engaged than a few years ago: it's somewhat absurd for a foreigner to feel strongly on matters most Thais seem not to care about.It's all up to the Thai people and the remedy is in their hands. But I see no sign of other than occasional mild discontent - certainly among the Bangkok middle classes.And the whole region is moving in a direction inimical to democracy.So as you say one can always enjoy the soap operas (though I hate them).

But jayboy, you insisted the genie was out of the bottle once Thaksin had been elected. According to you, once the majority of Thai people realized  that they had a voice, then there would be no turning back.

I remember you advising the elite to surrender some of their power to the hoi polloi to avoid bloodshed as the inevitable march of history meant power slipping from their hands and into those elected.

Archived