Pattaya inundated by rains from tropical storm Trami

webfact

Pattaya inundated by rains from tropical storm Trami

Pattaya.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Pattaya was in chaos Sunday as rains associated with tropical storm Trami inundated the resort. 

Many roads were under 30-50 cms of water and some were impassable. 

Some communities in low lying areas were under a meter of water. 

Manager reported that there was two hours of heavy downfalls around 2pm on Sunday. 

Though they added that the situation was now back to normal. 

Trami is described as a tropical storm in this area though in the pacific it has been called a typhoon after packing high winds and originating in the area of Guam. 

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-24

Oh my, did it rain somewhere ?

Up here on soi Khao Noi I think I heard the pitter-patter of a few drops of rain hitting the roof. Looked a little damp outside but no problem, the Som Tam seller still made his circuit through the village.

After the rain yesterday I looked at the forecast for today and it showed a 60% chance of rain in the morning. Great, the day I have to go to Immigration. Turned out to be a nice morning though. Did my Immigration thing, stopped off to do some shopping on Khao Talo, came home, put the laundry out on the street (Thai style) and things were great.

Of course, 2 hours later it was pissing down rain but who cares ! Laundry done. Shopping done. Immigration done. Bowl full of spicy som tam - almost done !
There are worse places you could be and worse weather you could be enduring !

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Of course, 2 hours later it was pissing down rain but who cares ! Laundry done. Shopping done. Immigration done. Bowl full of spicy som tam - almost done !
There are worse places you could be and worse weather you could be enduring !

I still don't understand why farangs eat spicy som tam 

no money for better food???? 

Just wondering hmmmm

Just wondering hmmmm
Its nice every now and again with some roasted chicken and sticky rice....bit like a superhot vindaloo
"after 15 pints down pub" on Friday night. [emoji33]

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
9 hours ago, Orac said:

Good job he had an umbrella or he might have got wet.

It was very deep yesterday, water was almost above my exhaust

Are you just being polite and saying the water level was well up to the top of your legs ??

4 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Just wondering hmmmm

somtams alright. some larb pork sticky rice and fried chicken. whats not to like??

by the way you can get somtam in places like issaya and namsaah bottling trust, not cheap in the slightest

15 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Just wondering hmmmm

I generally spend 2,500-3,000 baht a week on food and usually do my own cooking. I like a variety of things so I may try cooking German dumplings one day, Quiche Lorraine another day, Spicy Coconut Chicken soup/Green Curry with pork/Masaman Curry/Roast Beef(etc, etc) on other days. 

My cupboards are full and so is my freezer. In fact, I did a little shopping at "Siambury" yesterday and had trouble fitting the pork chops and "streaky" bacon into the freezer. Really got to use those pizza crusts one day - got all the fixings - just waiting for my new pizza pans to arrive from Lazada.
I had to buy this cabinet just to hold the stuff I didn't have room for on my counter tops and other shelves. I could use another one the same size actually. Not sure where I'd put it though !

42556390_10156394186409220_2392481871192653824_n.jpg.9216458858d31a742cea27352533aac6.jpg  42551961_10156394186384220_1773424569550372864_o.jpg.674478b3353322bbc05457bf1a1edecc.jpg

I have a bookmark folder just for Recipes I find on the internet - 65 bookmarks (so far) for recipes for things like Perogies, Cheesecake, Devilled eggs, meatloaf, chocolate fudge, wiener schnitzel, scones, beef stew (etc, etc). Have a couple of nice Thai cookbooks as well. Every so often I try and get creative - with mixed results. Good thing I have a "caste iron" stomach (aside from the acid reflux).

Oddly enough though, despite having been coming to Thailand since 1993, I had never tried "som tam" until a couple weeks ago. We had a vendor selling pork noodle soup that used to come through the village everyday. I can easily make the same thing (more or less) but sometimes I'm lazy (and to cook a small amount of meat just to use in a soup once every couple of days isn't worth the effort). The soup guy stopped coming a couple weeks ago and was replaced with a Som Tam vendor. I decided to try it just to see what it was like.

Told the guy to make it "Thai spicy" and instead of crab I asked him to use shrimp.

It was pretty good. Not as spicy as it could have been. Couple days later I had him do it again but with more red chilies. Much better. 
All things considered, it's probably pretty healthy as well, considering the ingredients. Chopped papaya, green bean, tomato, red chili, peanuts, shrimp. 

(though the oil, salt and other things may offset the "healthy" aspect of it).

As with the soup, I could probably make the Som Tam myself but it would be a pain in the keester to get all the ingredients (I have a small mortar and pestle already) and then use just enough to make one or two meals as I wouldn't want to be eating it every day for a week.

But luckily, rain or shine, there is someone who comes right by the front of my house nearly every day that has all the ingredients and is pretty good at making Som Tam (well - pretty good as far as my limited experience is concerned). I also like that the small money it costs me goes into a "local" pocket instead of eating all my meals at MacDonalds or Burger King (or spending all my time "chasing balloons" around the city).

And should I find that all that Som Tam (or other food) is causing some weight issues - I can always pop out to the patio and use some of this stuff:
42434600_10156394301734220_7885740623255306240_o.jpg.dbdd1f51c5013cc17c5d7df2c70453fc.jpg

Which I can do - even when it rains - because I put a roof over the patio (specifically because of the rains).

And because I live on a hill - if it ever gets to the point I have to worry about flooding, well, the Som Tam guy will probably still come by, but maybe in a rowboat instead of on a scooter !

Archived