Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

MC Taxi Injuries


Recommended Posts

Im wondering, how many falang are injured riding on MC taxis....more in terms of miles driven or x number of rides per injury.

 

Do any of you take precautions? Like I only try to use them on side Sois plus I took out insurance with a Motorcycle provision. Am I risking my life in taking a 10 to 15 baht ride here and there (mostly the 600 meters to the BTS to keep my sweat level down)

Link to post
Share on other sites

In a place that's lax on safety & driving standards, and taking responsibility - you betcha....

Even if it's only a leg shattered from the knee cap down from an unseen jutting/moving bumper....That's enough deterent for me....

You're rolling the dice every time.... 

600 meters is a good minimal exercise program....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I ride with them since two decades and was never injured, never an accident.

A few times I had some hot-blood and I told him to take it easy and I am not in a hurry. Maybe I told him something like "Farang glua" (I am scared). They laugh about it but then they ride slower - problem solved.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I ride with them since two decades and was never injured, never an accident.

A few times I had some hot-blood and I told him to take it easy and I am not in a hurry. Maybe I told him something like "Farang glua" (I am scared). They laugh about it but then they ride slower - problem solved.

 

I'm never in a hurry too, but the problem is they (motorbike taxi) are, to get back, join the queue & pick up their next ride.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

In a place that's lax on safety & driving standards, and taking responsibility - you betcha....

Even if it's only a leg shattered from the knee cap down from an unseen jutting/moving bumper....That's enough deterent for me....

You're rolling the dice every time.... 

600 meters is a good minimal exercise program....

Oh trust me, I walk more than I ride cuz I dont want to go to size XXXXXXXXL. But there are times when I just need to be a bit cooler and drier....

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I ride with them since two decades and was never injured, never an accident.

A few times I had some hot-blood and I told him to take it easy and I am not in a hurry. Maybe I told him something like "Farang glua" (I am scared). They laugh about it but then they ride slower - problem solved.

 

2

It works because your way of telling them to slow down is smart, "Farang glua"  :smile:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to take them regularly to get from the BTS to the wife's work hospital. Always felt safe except for the day I had four large boxes of donuts, two each side of me, and the rider/driver decided to go for a tight squeeze between two vehicles at a reasonable speed. Managed to get them in the air in time but it sure hurt my already damaged right shoulder. Didn't tip that trip.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Am I risking my life in taking a 10 to 15 baht ride here

I would imagine paying a motorcy taxi driver 10 baht would be risky, but then I can't imagine using one for a ride of a few meters. Probably better for your health if you walked. If you break out in a heavy sweat walking 600 metres, riding on a motorcy taxi isn't the biggest risk you face.

 

Generally my rides are a good deal farther and I've never felt at risk or had any accidents. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

i use them sparingly in bkk and pattaya. i know im probably risking injury...

but i find 'most' of the drivers to be responsible...

the biggest risk is when weaving through the traffic or 'jumping' red lights...

in pattaya there is a major problem with indians walking accross the road without even looking...this is very dangerous when mbike has to stop or swerve suddenly...

Link to post
Share on other sites

First off, I cant stand these guys. They park blocking the sidewalk at my condo, and throw garbage and cigarettes everywhere. They piss into a funnel in the bushes. I walk past their cigarette smoke everyday while they say, "taxthi, taxthi" in a gay voice. So, no...I don't patronize them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dotpoom said:
5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

taking a 10 to 15 baht ride

Can't see how anybody can make a living with fares like that?

10B is the price for the ride to the end of the soi, they need max 2 or 3 minutes for that.

If they do only that every 10 minutes all day then they have a revenue of 480B.

Deduct worst case 100B for gasoline and they still make more than the minimum salary.

And obviously they do a lot more than only driving to the end of the soi.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

10B is the price for the ride to the end of the soi, they need max 2 or 3 minutes for that.

If they do only that every 10 minutes all day then they have a revenue of 480B.

Deduct worst case 100B for gasoline and they still make more than the minimum salary.

And obviously they do a lot more than only driving to the end of the soi.

Ive never heard of a ten baht fare. Anyway, I use them all the time in Pattaya and often in Bamgkok. Aways use a lid and hold the pillion in a strong grip. To put it in perspective: the Thai girls dont hold on, do their make up,send selfies read their FB etc.  Many of the Motosai drivers have been driving since they were kids and usually know the roads.  Both important factors in driving safety.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a problem burning my leg on the exhaust when dismounting the bike a couple of times but it coulda been that I was unsteady on my feet anyway...it's nice to be able to walk most places when one lives in a small town, market 12mins away...corner shop for booze and ciggies 5mins, etc...I get the step daughter to drive the pickup when needed...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The manic said:

Ive never heard of a ten baht fare. Anyway, I use them all the time in Pattaya and often in Bamgkok. Aways use a lid and hold the pillion in a strong grip. To put it in perspective: the Thai girls dont hold on, do their make up,send selfies read their FB etc.  Many of the Motosai drivers have been driving since they were kids and usually know the roads.  Both important factors in driving safety.

They charge me 10 baht to the station, 15 baht to the mall, 15 baht to the night market, I try not to be lazy but when you are humping it all day, a quick ride helps

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Humping all day ?? Care to elaborate sir  ?

To quote the old Tuna commercials ......Sorry Charlie...my age is showing..

 

Humping as in hiking around. Like humpin in the boonies. 🙂

 

Thats why I said "Humping it" and by golly, Im sure that some comic is gonna say "it? You humpin ladyboys?"..

 

Leastaways thats what I would say

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Entirely different meaning in other countries, hence my question 😁 thought you had been "bumping uglies" somewhere .........and "all day" too !! 😂

Ya mean making the beast with two backs? Playing hide the sausage?

 

All day? 55555555🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 When she says "short time" I say, yes...very....how about a 5 minute rate? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

5 minutes?????I wish,  I usually say, "just hang on a minute and dont cough or it all over !😩

Damn now I feel like a stud!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...