"So sorry about that" says "drunk" British woman after claiming she was raped on Koh Phangan

webfact

"So sorry about that" says "drunk" British woman after claiming she was raped on Koh Phangan

7PM.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A 25 year old British woman has accepted that she was not raped on Koh Phangan as she had claimed.

Hospital tests and CCTV showed no evidence a crime had occurred. 

And the woman had to admit that her fears were completely unfounded. She was named only as Joanna. 

A distraught father had contacted the British embassy by phone at the weekend to say that his daughter had been raped in her Had Rin hotel room. 

The Koh Pangan police and tourism authorities were contacted and immediately went into action, reported Sanook. 

The location where the woman was staying appears to be Coral Bungalows, but this is unconfirmed. 

Joanna was taken to the hospital for an examination. Nothing untoward was found; toxicology tests showed no drugs in her blood or urine and there was no evidence of rape. 

She was taken to the police station where an interpreter was provided from the local tourist agency and consular assistance from the British embassy were in attendance as observers. 

Joanna said: "I woke up naked. My panties were on the foot of the bed and other underwear was on the bed too. My jewelry was laid out on a surface nearby. The bedclothes were piled up outside the bathroom door". 

She admitted that she didn't remember a thing about the night before - Sanook said that she had been very drunk.

"I thought something must have happened to me," she continued, saying that she suspected a fellow British man she had been talking to at a poolside party on Saturday night might be involved.

Then she was shown the CCTV and other still photography. 

She had been the only one to enter and leave her room all night. 

When confronted with this evidence she apologized to the authorities saying she must have been mistaken. 

She thanked everyone involved for their professionalism and went back to her hotel. 

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-24

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, webfact said:

She thanked everyone involved for their professionalism and went back to her hotel. 

Extremely fortunate! Plenty of people have been charged for making false allegations about many things, lesser than this. To wander off without consequence seems to be amazingly lucky.

45 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Extremely fortunate! Plenty of people have been charged for making false allegations about many things, lesser than this. To wander off without consequence seems to be amazingly lucky.

And plenty of other people have been charged on the basis of such false allegations where these have not been retracted, as in this case. Not just in Thailand.

here is her logic:

I was drunk as a skunk, therefore I must have had sex. This doesn't happen at all when I'm sober. The sex is rape, because I'm passed out and can't say: "Yeah, go ahead, whatever." 

I have no sympathies for people who have to drink in this fashion.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Amazing what some are able to do for 5min of fame - what a shame....

10 minutes ago, sitti said:

All those typical Thai bashing here very quickly died down. I guess this isn't the kind of news they want to hear.

It was obvious (for some)  that Mr Joke had a little more in the the suitcase than just dry chili and a tooth brush, but I will not say "what did I say" this time....:thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, NextStationBangkok said:

Next time when you come to Thailand, please write your name using permanent markers on all your under-wears you bring along with you , so that no confusion will happen.

What a shame, you did a complete body checkup for zero cost. ????

RE - Next time when you come to Thailand, please write your name using permanent markers on all your under-wears you bring along with you , so that no confusion will happen.

Day or month?

Consistency! Nice to see that non-victim blaming gets as much bandwidth on TV as victim blaming.

What I take away from this story is how the diligent and professional Koh Phangan police adhered to procedures, took her statement, collated the evidence and took their time to jointly view the cctv footage before mutually agreeing that bugger all of the sort happened. I guess maybe these guys weren't on duty back in late June when the other lass allegedly got rolled on the beach at Koh Tao.

Doesn't the statute of limitations on that rape claim expire today or tomorrow? Is Big Joke still over there doing his friendly interview thing?

So, she may have been raped, but doesn't remember.  (Maybe just drunk, maybe a spiked drink-  it's been known to happen.)  In any case, she got the authorities to review the evidence and once it was reviewed, she realized she hadn't been raped, and thanked all for their help.

Would it have been better had she just kept her mouth shut and wondered for the rest of her life?  And a potential rapist (a British tourist) on the loose?

Based on the OP, it seems the only one she contacted was her father, and he put the rest of the gears in motion.  So, not knowing anything else, or whether she had been drugged, I'll cut her some slack and be happy that she got the answer that everyone would hope for.

oh comeon. is it just me or is it really possible to be that drunk that you really dont remember? I dont drink anymore but would drink more than anyone i now once upon a time, done all drugs and even rohypnol thats been used as a date rate drug and although i couldnt remember much the next day some things did come back in time. I have just never known it possible to be that drunk and i used to drink like a fish until id pass out..

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

here is her logic:

I was drunk as a skunk, therefore I must have had sex. This doesn't happen at all when I'm sober. The sex is rape, because I'm passed out and can't say: "Yeah, go ahead, whatever." 

I have no sympathies for people who have to drink in this fashion.

I’ve had some experience with women (not in Thailand) getting blind drunk and then calling the authorities for some nonexistent offense against them; the arriving police within minutes have read the situation correctly and responded accordingly. In these cases, the mini-crises have been entirely fueled by alcohol, which drives the woman’s anger, or insecurity, or confusion, or whatever to manifest itself in destructive behavior. It’s an old story.

I don’t know what this woman’s story is and it’s hard to sympathize with her, but she might need help; hope this is a wake-up call for her ...

Archived