Retirement Village in Chiang Mai

xylophone

I suppose this subject could fit in a number of Forums (health for example) however I saw something in The Nation newspaper which gladdened my heart...……..there is a Retirement Village in/near Chiang Mai which provides a 48 sq m apartment for retirees, plus round the clock care and 3 meals a day, all for 40,000 baht a month.

Hoping that this will catch on as there are many oldies here who may want to take advantage of something like this.

Personally I had always hoped that I would move in a full time carer should I become too decrepit to look after myself, but for me it would entail moving to a larger apt as well as paying them a salary, so there would be no cost difference overall.

What are the thoughts of others on this?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Small town hospital.  I stayed in a hospital outside of a small town.  The hospital contracted with ladies who stayed in my room 24/7 not very expensive.  Most retirement centers in the USA are funded by charities/churches or groups of doctors.  Find the investors and involve the health care professionals and start building.  Same thing will happen here that happened in the West.  People get tired of cleaning up grandpa's poop. 

I had always thought I would end up in the US as I fell apart, but now I'm planning on staying in CM until the end.  I want to check out McKean and another place.  I'm not close yet, but it's good to have a plan.  The way the world changes so quickly planning can be only done in a general nature, but for me now, I'm here in CM forever.

Personally, I've never lived in anything even remotely that small.....

Plus, the thought of living like that surrounded by people in various/advanced stages of decrepit-zation - to me - is horrific ...... Seems to lead to a quicker exit (as rightfully expected given the pervading/surrounding mind set)

I'm sure that some would be happily resigned to this but not me....

Part of the reason I resettled from the states, (where the kids see it as the logical next step, as they are so busy with their lives)....

Me - clawing, kicking, screaming all the way....

Just my own opinion.....

32 minutes ago, lexilis said:

Yeah I'll likely be here to the end also. From what I've heard the McKean place seems to be a good landing point when assisted living becomes a necessity. Anybody know the monthly fees there?

I quoted 40,000b per month but not 100% sure on this.

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Personally, I've never lived in anything even remotely that small.....

Plus, the thought of living like that surrounded by people in various/advanced stages of decrepit-zation - to me - is horrific ...... Seems to lead to a quicker exit (as rightfully expected given the pervading/surrounding mind set)

I had very similar thoughts to you on this pgrahmm but realised that they were my experiences from many years ago, when putting people into "old folks homes" elicited thoughts of that which you post and also similar to the scenes I saw in the movie, "12 Monkeys".

However the modern day equivalent of these "old folks homes" is entirely different and I experienced that first hand in Auckland when a lady friend of mine decided she had enough of tending to her garden and other maintenance, so at the age of 74 years old moved into a retirement village, renting/leasing her own two bedroom townhouse.

I stayed there on a few occasions when I went to Auckland because she is an old and delightful friend and I was absolutely amazed at what this retirement option provided – – indoor heated swimming pool, privacy of one's own townhouse, intercom systems in the case of emergencies and so on, and the chance to mingle with those of like mind and age (so one doesn't have to mingle with the deranged – sorry about that but could think of no better description).

She made some lovely friends and is very positive about the whole experience.

In addition, my older sister and her husband decided to sell up in Melbourne and move into a retirement village and they think it's the best move they've ever made.

They can mix and mingle with whomsoever they wish, there are fitness classes, golf lessons, jogging, movies and so much more. Needless to say they are absolutely delighted at what they have done and they are both fit and active and of sound mind.

So I think the impression that one could get from the old days was something akin to a lunatic asylum (and I say that guardedly) but the reality these days is far different and I for one would be willing to give it a try if necessary.

The place up in Mae Rim is excellent. I can't think of the name right now, but it's quite popular. I believe the owner posts in the forum from time to time. It's not only an old folks place, others can stay there too. I was really impressed with the beautiful grounds there and the very professional staff. But I believe it was more like 65-75K per month. But that is for a very nice cottage with garden, PT, OT, nursing assistance, rides to the market and so forth.

I think B65K /month at Suasawan Care Home & Resort is right for monthly stay with daily sheet change, cleaning, 3 meals a day, and 24 hr assistant is correct.

Weekly I visit an elderly friend there and while I have never asked him directly I get the impression that B65K is about right.

Very nice place and excellent staff, Dr on 24 hr call, Australian lady if I remember.

john

http://www.suansawanresort.com/

7 hours ago, elektrified said:

The place up in Mae Rim is excellent. I can't think of the name right now, but it's quite popular. I believe the owner posts in the forum from time to time. It's not only an old folks place, others can stay there too. I was really impressed with the beautiful grounds there and the very professional staff. But I believe it was more like 65-75K per month. But that is for a very nice cottage with garden, PT, OT, nursing assistance, rides to the market and so forth.

I'll have to look for the article again as I think it stated around 40k baht, and this for a small 48 sq m apartment type accommodation rather than a cottage.

About 3 years ago--and maybe more recently--Cancer Connect Chiang Mai conducted a survey of retirement and assisted care facilities in Chiang Mai.  Information on that survey can be viewed at:

https://www.cancerconnect-chiangmai.com/senior-healthcare-facilities-survey

This crooked photo gives a quick summary of the survey.

cropped.jpg

13 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I'll have to look for the article again as I think it stated around 40k baht, and this for a small 48 sq m apartment type accommodation rather than a cottage.

Found it...…………….

AN ELDERLY couple recently moved from the US to stay at the Villa Meesuk Residences in Chiang Mai, a project designed for the aged, after seeing that it met the requirements of their daily lives.

Security, safety features, round-the-clock services, harmless raw materials and purpose-built interiors of the project convinced Sampop Punthuna, 76, and his wife to take up a 48-square-metre condominium unit at the residences in May this year. The monthly rent of Bt40,000 comes with three meals a day. 

“We are happy with the accommodation, especially the emergency button and the handrails in the bathroom. There is another emergency button in the bedroom and a medical clinic is located in close proximity,” he said. 

Villa Meesuk Residences is a part of Meesuk Society, offering residential units and the Baan Meesuk Nursing Home for the elderly. 

Thongpun Pakasem, 90, a resident at the nursing home, said that facilities at the premises allows her to take part in daily activities, such as chatting with her friends or relaxing in the green area. 

“We cater to the needs of the elderly,” said Meesuk Thailand Co Ltd’s director Sasiwimol Singhanetr in an interview with The Nation. “There is a abundant space for family visits and our on-site clinic has a direct link with a nearby hospital in case of an emergency.” 

All 28 units in the condominium have been taken up through sales and rental, and the nursing home provides 24-hour care for ageing people with congenital diseases, she added.

Have always wondered why there are not more places doing a complete package setup, something like in the movie "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"

I recall when I first moved here and staying long term in a guest-house, for 40-50k a month I had everything, serviced room,  ate all of my meals there, laundry, no elec or internet bills, staff that looked after you etc, they even had transport. Add a nurse or on-call doctor etc and it would be a complete package.

I recall when it came time to setup my own condo, thinking why not just live at guest-house forever.

The model in places like Australia is independent living, then assisted living, then nursing home , all within the same complex.

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

AN ELDERLY couple recently moved from the US to stay at the Villa Meesuk Residences in Chiang Mai, a project designed for the aged, after seeing that it met the requirements of their daily lives.

I've cycled past this one,  just before MaeJo, off the 1001, near to the river.

Bit more developed and 'parks & gardens' these days.

http://www.baanmeesuk-nursinghome.com/

meesuk.jpg

There are reference materials about the various local assisted living centers and nursing homes on the website of www.LannaCareNet.org

http://www.lannacarenet.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/LCN-Care-Facilities-Survey-December-2015-Document-1.pdf

http://www.lannacarenet.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Care-survey-grid-1.pdf

If you're interested in learning more about how to prepare yourself for growing old in Chiang Mai, you may wish to attend an upcoming seminar presented by Lanna Care Net and Cancer Connect on Saturday, 6 October at River Market Restaurant, 9 am - 12:00 noon

http://www.lannacarenet.org/lessons-learned-at-the-end-of-life/

19 hours ago, xylophone said:

I had very similar thoughts to you on this pgrahmm but realised that they were my experiences from many years ago, when putting people into "old folks homes" elicited thoughts of that which you post and also similar to the scenes I saw in the movie, "12 Monkeys".

However the modern day equivalent of these "old folks homes" is entirely different and I experienced that first hand in Auckland when a lady friend of mine decided she had enough of tending to her garden and other maintenance, so at the age of 74 years old moved into a retirement village, renting/leasing her own two bedroom townhouse.

I stayed there on a few occasions when I went to Auckland because she is an old and delightful friend and I was absolutely amazed at what this retirement option provided – – indoor heated swimming pool, privacy of one's own townhouse, intercom systems in the case of emergencies and so on, and the chance to mingle with those of like mind and age (so one doesn't have to mingle with the deranged – sorry about that but could think of no better description).

She made some lovely friends and is very positive about the whole experience.

In addition, my older sister and her husband decided to sell up in Melbourne and move into a retirement village and they think it's the best move they've ever made.

They can mix and mingle with whomsoever they wish, there are fitness classes, golf lessons, jogging, movies and so much more. Needless to say they are absolutely delighted at what they have done and they are both fit and active and of sound mind.

So I think the impression that one could get from the old days was something akin to a lunatic asylum (and I say that guardedly) but the reality these days is far different and I for one would be willing to give it a try if necessary.

If you have the money. These places can be very expensive in the U.S. As you need more care the costs can rise quickly.

21 minutes ago, Jeffkp said:

If you have the money. These places can be very expensive in the U.S. As you need more care the costs can rise quickly.

Agree they can be, but I did quote a place earlier that started at 40,000 baht per month, with meals included.

As more are built and possibly larger, then economies of scale can come into play as this is only just getting a foothold in Thailand...……..let's hope so anyway.

I would think the main advantage to a nursing home would be the availability of pain killing meds in the case of incurable disease as these are difficult to get outside of a hospital and for any length of time.  Can a nursing home give the same kind of pain relief that Hospice does in the USA?  Or do they just sit around singing Thai songs as you writhe in agonizing pain.  

14 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I would think the main advantage to a nursing home would be the availability of pain killing meds in the case of incurable disease as these are difficult to get outside of a hospital and for any length of time.  Can a nursing home give the same kind of pain relief that Hospice does in the USA?  Or do they just sit around singing Thai songs as you writhe in agonizing pain.  

I suggest you come to the seminar on October 6, "Lessons Learned at the End of Life" and ask questions about this.  None of the extended care facilities in Chiang Mai are very careful to call themselves "Hospices" and you should make very specific plans for pain management before need in Thailand.

On 9/24/2018 at 4:42 AM, marcusarelus said:

nice (non-hospital / institution feeling) retirement communities in the usa are about 5,000 usd these days (160,000 baht) a month. this includes care and all meals.
something to consider if you don't have great insurance or a pension.

6 hours ago, Dick Crank said:

nice (non-hospital / institution feeling) retirement communities in the usa are about 5,000 usd these days (160,000 baht) a month. this includes care and all meals.
something to consider if you don't have great insurance or a pension.

$5000 per month would be the lower end of nursing home/assisted living facilities in the US. In some places like Massachusetts or California the "nicer" places the price can be more than twice that amount.

Archived