Rent condo or house in BKK?

OzMan

I was talking with an ex-expat today who once lived in bkk and found renting a condo the size of a shoe box expensive. Talking with expats who lived on the same street he found that house rental prices on the same street were much cheaper than condo prices. He moved into a two-level house at a fraction of the cost of his condo. Has anybody any experience of this? Are house rental prices near the BTS cheaper than condo rental prices?

House you almost always get more sqm for your cash but usually there aren't many houses next to popular BTs Stations because the land is so valuable to condo developers

Using on nut as an example there are a lot of cheap 2/3 bed houses 

Down the sois, only drawback is its a bit further to walk but better than a shoebox condo imo

If you are single or a couple with no kids & one of you are working downtown, then you want to stay in a condo a few blocks away from the Skytrain or subway. Why? Because you do not want to commute to work by car & waste 2 or more hours everyday with traffic jams (and always finding a place to park your car. Besides, walking a few blocks everyday is good exercise. With kids, a  “housing “village” may be better since there may be more frrrdom for them to run around outside & have friends. True, renting a house will have more space but you may have to deal with barking dogs, noisy neighbors, or spending more time cleaning a bigger place. With a condo, you need to make sure there are no “holiday makers (AirB&B for example) in the hallway - check out the kind of people that are living in the building. I am renting a “row house” this year and wish I was back in my former condo complex that was more quiet, I had access to a nice pool & gym with restaurants and the BTS near by

I was renting several condos around Samsen Rd in Banglumpoo for 7,000bht up to 15k.. After more than a year decided to get out of a shoebox of a room.. The last 12mths I've been in a 10yo townhouse in Bang Yai, Nonthaburi at 5.5k per month..

3br, 2 bath, 2 level with carport, large family room and kitchen and laundry (enclosed).. I love it, plenty of space in a housing baan village.. But unfurnished so I had to buy everything from scratch.. The money saved in rent, and the set up costs still are far cheaper than renting a premium condo looking at your investment over 12+ months.. 

I take a 25bht motor taxi into Bangyai city, 7 min, and then choice of MRT Purple line, with interchange at Blue line to Sukhumvit.. Also many buses and minivans to BKK Central areas.. 18bht aircond and about 30 min commute.. 

Bang Yai has Central Westgate, Ikea, Homepro, Tops and 2 large Big C supermarkets, night Market and everything.. All walking distance from Bang Yai City.. 

Nonthaburi Immigration is not too far, and much quieter than CW.. 

It depends really what you're looking for, whether or where you are working.. Condos usually have a basic login WiFi service, ok for phones and notebook connection but NOT suitable for smart Tvs unless you have a dedicated connection.. I have a 3BB 50/10 VDSL Internet with WiFi router at 631bht pm, no contract and free router and installation.. Direct MEA electricity billing, about 1100bht pm including using my single aircond and water about 100bht pm.. 

So bills are cheap, as many condos bill you direct at much higher premiums charged at their rates.. One condo was charging my about 1500bht pm for electric, whereas in the house with aircond, 3 large fans and 2 air-coolers about 500bht cheaper pm.. 

10 hours ago, owenm said:

I was renting several condos around Samsen Rd in Banglumpoo for 7,000bht up to 15k.. After more than a year decided to get out of a shoebox of a room.. The last 12mths I've been in a 10yo townhouse in Bang Yai, Nonthaburi at 5.5k per month..

3br, 2 bath, 2 level with carport, large family room and kitchen and laundry (enclosed).. I love it, plenty of space in a housing baan village.. But unfurnished so I had to buy everything from scratch.. The money saved in rent, and the set up costs still are far cheaper than renting a premium condo looking at your investment over 12+ months.. 

I take a 25bht motor taxi into Bangyai city, 7 min, and then choice of MRT Purple line, with interchange at Blue line to Sukhumvit.. Also many buses and minivans to BKK Central areas.. 18bht aircond and about 30 min commute.. 

Bang Yai has Central Westgate, Ikea, Homepro, Tops and 2 large Big C supermarkets, night Market and everything.. All walking distance from Bang Yai City.. 

Nonthaburi Immigration is not too far, and much quieter than CW.. 

It depends really what you're looking for, whether or where you are working.. Condos usually have a basic login WiFi service, ok for phones and notebook connection but NOT suitable for smart Tvs unless you have a dedicated connection.. I have a 3BB 50/10 VDSL Internet with WiFi router at 631bht pm, no contract and free router and installation.. Direct MEA electricity billing, about 1100bht pm including using my single aircond and water about 100bht pm.. 

So bills are cheap, as many condos bill you direct at much higher premiums charged at their rates.. One condo was charging my about 1500bht pm for electric, whereas in the house with aircond, 3 large fans and 2 air-coolers about 500bht cheaper pm.. 

I really like Nonthaburi, and yes, I'm is a much friendlier animal out there, if you are legit.  I live on the east side of the river and look out towards Bang Yai.  I expect tremendous growth out that way in the coming years.  What would a townhouse like yours cost to buy.

On 9/29/2018 at 10:18 PM, moontang said:

Bang Yai to Sukhumvit on the MRT Purple and Blue Line comes in at around 90 minutes on google maps. So it's quite a commute. Not something you'd want to do every day.

Archived