Driving from Chiang Khan to Nakhon Phanom...Stay where? See what?

Bredbury Blue

It's coming up to Thai school holidays in October so considering taking the family on another driving holiday.

Thinking of revisiting Khao Kor, then up to Chiang Khan (visited before but not stayed) and then follow the mekong river to Nakhon Phanom then back to BKK.

The section Chiang Khan (CK) to Nakhon Phanom (NP) we haven't visited before so i'm looking for tips / advice / recommendations on:

1. Accommodation in:
a. Khao Kor?
b. Chiang Khan?
c. Nakhon Phanom?
d. Any places inbetween CK and NP for a night?

2. What attractions are worth seeing between CK and NP? We like historical ruins, national parks, waterfalls, farms, etc.

Thanks

Ah the NorthEast my favorite. Live near Nong Khai so I always recommend it. The drive between Chiang Khan and Nong Khai is pretty easy. We always stop at a few fruit vendors along the way and lunch near the waterfalls at Sangkhom. 

Stop in Nong Khai at Mut Mee Guest House interesting place good mix of people. Go to the Sculpture Park weird but cool.

Next stop for us is always Wat Phu Tok. Just a very cool attraction climbing stairs around the outside of a mountain. Not really anything similar to it. 

A side trip to Ban Chiang Historical Park is interesting as well.

Wat Tat Phanom is very cool imo. There are plenty of smaller stops and sites along the way. Wat Ahong Siliwong is interesting for its relationship to the Naga Fireballs. Pa Dak Sua has the glass walk way. Boyds Guesthouse in Sangkhom is quaint, rustic but nice.

Wat HinMak Ping is also a nice stop between Chiang Khan and Nong Khai. 

Phu Pra Bat is a good day out as well. A bit off the way from 213 highway but worth visiting.

In my opinion not too much between Nong Khai and phanom. A few stops Pak Kat but we usually drive thru. 

If it is around Fire Ball festival time try to book as anything along the river books up and traffic can be a nightmare.

Good luck it is a beautiful drive,  in my opinion.hu

At NKP, try to get a room at the River Hotel which is beside The Mekong.

You can walk the stretch of 5-6 temples on your left; with Mekong/view of Laos with distant mountains (on your right). About an hour.

The restaurant at River Hotel is also worth a try if you are staying in the area.

Wat Phra That Phanom is worth stopping and to slow things a bit.

accommodation in Nakon Phanom, try the Fortune River View Hotel

its right on the river with views across to Laos

big rooms , about 1,100 a night with breakfast, when i was there a couple of weeks ago 

Or as Gloucester says, the River hotel, which is a few hundred meters away

Its the first large hotel as you enter the town from Mukdahan

50 minutes ago, Gloucester said:

At NKP, try to get a room at the River Hotel which is beside The Mekong.

You can walk the stretch of 5-6 temples on your left; with Mekong/view of Laos with distant mountains (on your right). About an hour.

The restaurant at River Hotel is also worth a try if you are staying in the area.

Wat Phra That Phanom is worth stopping and to slow things a bit.

Phra That Phanom well worth a visit..

7756325544_389477d205_o.jpg

If you stay in NKP in the evening they do a boat trip down the Mekong with food and drink, very reasonable priced, and for 2 hours. Also on the outskirts is the old house of Ho Che Min which is worth a look he stayed there for some years. Near his house is a restaurant by a lake that sells great food including fresh prawns, nice location. There is a small golf course near the University very cheap. 

Stay at the Paradise Hotel at Udon Thani. Although at a little under half-way, the remaining H22 is easier driving but offers little by way of quality accom. The H22, east of Phang Khon, is a real doddle to drive; mostly dual-carriageway and light traffic. And you ask what is there to see. That depends on whether you just want to get from A to B or to make a mission out of the trip.

If the latter, then you probably won't do better than keeping to the Mekong-side 211 and 212 roads but the latter may be a bit rough-going, north of Si Songkhram, although frequent detours into the heartlands will more than make up for any road-surface frustrations and the views of those 'crazy' mountains, across the Mekong as you approach Nakhon Panhom, are pretty mind-blowing to a mountain-man like me.

Good luck and happy driving

In Nong Khai .. the Mut Mee has been mentioned as a good place to stay.. I agree.. get one of the newer better rooms.. the food is good.. funny ordering system but seems to work.. They have a river boat if they have the numbers they take it our for an hour cruise in the evening.. up to the Friendship Bridge and back down the Laos side... 50 Bt if they have a boat load.. otherwise they want 1,000 to take it out.. I've gone a couple of times and shared with a few others for around 200 Bt.. worth it, I think.. I'v done it a few times with my family we always enjoy it.. 

At Mukdahan there is a good market type food place.. sorry I don't have better directions but it is across the road and up a bit from the Hotel with the revolving restaurant (avoid it).. at the market the food outlets each have a container and outdoor sitting area  ... nicely painted up attractive and comfortable... Iots of variety of food and nice atmosphere.. I had a great hamburger there.. but lots of choice..  

Photo of the Friendship Bridge on the evening cruise.. 

11347838113_5e2b20937d_o.jpg

Thanks guys for some great contributions; I’ve started making a list from the above posts of possible places to visit.

Just to clarify, I am only seeking advice on the Chiang Khan to Nakhon Phanom route as:

The Udon Thani to Nakhon Phanom Road we’ve been many times (on way to the wife’s village) so have been to say Ban Chiang Historical Park.

South of Nakhon Phanom Road we’ve been many times so have been to the wonderful That Phanom, Mukdahan, etc.

Please keep the advice coming. Thanks

If you can stay at the River Hotel NP. It’s in big demand and gets booked very early. 

Fab hotel and I ended up with a massive corner suite. Food in the restaurant was great and lovely views across the Mekong. They have their own boat which will take you on an excursion up the river and back in the evening free if you’re staying there. 

http://www.booking.com/Share-UhNxg7

F24E5EFD-84F5-40CB-8FF3-76B04652804F.jpeg

B39D9C0D-3B4B-4856-8659-E660642B4171.jpeg

3076465D-1F65-4C5A-A4D6-95FFD5863AB5.jpeg

7B4F5C21-A136-470C-8972-9EC69A2B1E97.jpeg

B9DC203B-318A-4976-B383-0E23DEB2B092.jpeg

1 hour ago, Patriot said:

As Kadilo suggested, book well the River Hotel NKP well in advance. 

Than Tip waterfall west of Nong Khai is great this time of the year. 

Hotel de Ladda in Mukdahan .... utterly superb 

While we are not planning on revisiting Muk on this trip, thanks for the excellent tip on the new hotel. We were not that impressed by RiverFront hotel on our last stay so it'll be Hotel de Ladda on our next visit. 

53 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

While we are not planning on revisiting Muk on this trip, thanks for the excellent tip on the new hotel. We were not that impressed by RiverFront hotel on our last stay so it'll be Hotel de Ladda on our next visit. 

Sorry BB, I meant the newer Riverfront in Nakhon Phanom

13 hours ago, petesc55 said:

Also,  the Erawan Cave at the Loei/Nong Bua Lamphu province line is worth a stop.    

Totally agree. Nice walk up to the cave, walk through the cave, it comes out the otherside of the hill and you're  rewarded with a great view of the countryside  below. Seems to be listed as in Loie or Udon province depending on different websites. Erawan cave is just off highway 210 from Udon Thani heading towards Loei

I haver stayed at the NP Residence in Nahkon Panom at was very impressed, cost was about 500 baht a night. I have stayed in hotels that cost over 2000 baht that were not as nice or as clean. 

If you fancy a side trip into the hills, I recommend  visiting Wat Pa Phu Kon, south/west of Chiang Khan. A gigantic reclining Buddha in beautiful surroundings.

From there, you could head east joining route 2021 to Ban Phue. Just east of there is Wat Pa Ban Kho. A beautiful temple with an awesome stupa and a very interesting museum depicting the life of the founding monk.

From there it's an easy drive north to Nong Khai for a night stop.

Great day's driving, sat nav recommended. 

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

If you fancy a side trip into the hills, I recommend  visiting Wat Pa Phu Kon, south/west of Chiang Khan. A gigantic reclining Buddha in beautiful surroundings.

Just to correct myself, Wat Pa Phu Kon is south/east of Chiang Khan.

I'll dig out some photos in a while to whet your appetite.

• 2 weeks later...

You probably have no time for it, or have done it before BB, but the best thing about Nakhon Phanom IMO is the scenery in Laos on the other side. A few cave temples can be visited as a day trip inland of Tha Kek, but the real jewel is the trip through the 7km long river cave (Tham Kong Lo). 12 years ago when I did it we didn't have kids and we pretty much back-packed it - involved a local bus or songthaew (actually sarmthaew) from Tha Kek to a junction some 70km north then a connecting bus eastwards on a major highway towards Vietnam through lovely scenery then a b&b stop in a local small hub town and a negotiated package of transport and homestay in a traditional Laotian village house close to the northern cave entrance. Needed a bit of research but there are probably organised tours from NKP nowadays. I recall thinking that that trip was one of my most rewarding since my hippy post-college overland to India days!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all who contributed!

I have cut and pasted your comments for future reference as we did not go on this trip in the end - a case of the kids wanting to go to the beach not a driving holiday, so we did a compromise and we'll do this journey the next time we have to visit the wife's isaan village.

The compromise was: (for the wife and I) a 7 night trip around my favourite province of Kanchanaburi; nights in Kanchanaburi, Sai Yok, the wonderful Sangkhlaburi (great scenery, very laid back and like visiting Burma more than a Thai town and it has super friendly people),  back through Kanchanaburi then (for the kids) 3 nights in Dusit HH. Great 1200 km trip and I really recommend Kanchanaburi province to you next time you are wondering where to visit if you like quiet and beautiful countryside.

Cheers!

Archived