Man ‘confesses’ to killing sister and her millionaire Brit husband

Jonathan Fairfield

On 9/25/2018 at 9:21 PM, tropo said:

It could be a good reason to live in communities with lots of other foreigners who are wealthier, and in areas where it doesn't stand out.

I think the guys that live in poor rural communities, showing some semblance of wealth, are putting targets on their backs. If they do want to live in the boondocks, go where lots of wealthy Thai people live too.

100% correct

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Just telling the truth, maybe you are not from the UK.

No you're not - you're being selective with it by saying that "a lot of the UK people go about drunk and looking for fights?"

What about the "lots of UK people" that don't get drunk and don't go looking for fights?

What about the "lots of other nationalities" that go about drunk and looking for fights? There's plenty of them about e.g. Russkies, Aussies, (Hell's Angels included) other

Eastern Europeans, Middle Easterners  - where do you stop?

And maybe you are not from the UK either but possibly a Brit going by your choice of terminology?

3 hours ago, sambum said:

No you're not - you're being selective with it by saying that "a lot of the UK people go about drunk and looking for fights?"

What about the "lots of UK people" that don't get drunk and don't go looking for fights?

What about the "lots of other nationalities" that go about drunk and looking for fights? There's plenty of them about e.g. Russkies, Aussies, (Hell's Angels included) other

Eastern Europeans, Middle Easterners  - where do you stop?

And maybe you are not from the UK either but possibly a Brit going by your choice of terminology?

I have spent a long time answering this post and it disappeared in front of my eyes, I am not doing it again.

15 hours ago, Thaijack2014 said:

What is "good" in western eyes, doesn't need to be "good" in Thai eyes. We came to live here, whatever you might think is better or good, forget about it. Or are we invading another country and forcing the locals to live like we think it's fit? There are a lot of things I realize can be improved (waste management e.g.) but some things are deeply rooted in Thai society and mentality, such as loosing face. Since we westerners cannot loose face, because we have none to begin with, it is as difficult for us to understand that principle as it is to know when to use the different intonations in Thai language (which is why some Farang want Thai to speak more English, because they are so generous to leave money in the country)...

In my opinion the more westerners are coming to Thailand, the more they think they have a say in the country, while at the same moment that some of them condemn the refugees in their own country to get more rights.

Do you think logic, decency, critical and relative thinking derives from the West and should be overlooked ...because 'this is Thailand'?

On 9/25/2018 at 6:11 PM, PhilAtUbon said:

I think the RTP had to pull their collective finger out with this one as it is all over the British press. Sky, BBC, ITV, you name it, it's getting an awful lot of coverage.

It has been successfully solved days ago.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I have spent a long time answering this post and it disappeared in front of my eyes, I am not doing it again.

England has always been famous for drunken louts behaving badly on holiday, but let's give Ireland and Scotland some well deserved credit too... ???? 

It's been a problem in cheap holiday destinations for  decades now and it isn't getting any closer to solved... 

Nearly 50 years ago it was already problematic :

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/26397/spain-majorca-then-and-now

"By the early 1970s, Majorca had been colonised by drunken sunburnt Brits squabbling over sun beds with Germans in dreary package hotels. In the 1950s Errol Flynn wreaked havoc in Majorca’s bars and hotels; in the 1970s, lager louts followed in his footsteps but without any of his style.

At the height of the package boom in the 1970s, Majorca was attracting over two million British tourists a year, of which a staggering 38% were staying in one-star hotels."

This year  not too much has changed lol:

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/news/drunken-louts-caused-havoc-on-nightmare-holiday-flight-1-4772287

Irish, English, Scots and Russians are drinking cultures so I wouldn't expect any less when they're on holiday and drink is cheap and plentiful.... 

9 hours ago, The manic said:

Its common knowledge. Thai rural areas suffer from criminality and house break ins.

True and your comment is a fair response to the piece I quoted, Manic, if not taken with its original context (and I should have highlighted more than I did).

The poster had said:

"Speaking generally about foreigners living in houses in Thailand.

You have to do your homework on where you're going to live, the province and the district.

Every province has its robber gangs who roam around looking for new targets.

A white man moving into an area that is isolated is a prime target".

The connotation that there are gangs roaming around looking for white man to rob was to my mind OTT and scare-mongering. I don't dispute that there are Thais who will opportunistically rob anyone they can - Thais and locals, but organised gangs? targeting white guys as prime targets? every province?

All a matter of opinion and personal experience. Mine is 10 years in a Sisaket village, 20km outside any town/large village, with probably the 2nd or 3rd poshest abode (but not an outlandish palace I admit). There have been several burglaries in the village in that time but none for us. OK - maybe I'm probably setting myself up for a fall????

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
16 hours ago, The manic said:

Its common knowledge. Thai rural areas suffer from criminality and house break ins.

Less so than urban areas,  in my experience. 

Uhm, not easy to quantify that.

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

I don't need to look for reasons as there are plenty always available. And, no, I don't have any pent-up hatred. I'm too old to hate. It's exhausting.

However, I am also not under the fake justifications that many old farang (including a good few of my friends here) use to make themselves feel better. Get into debates about this stuff all the time. Respect them but also pity them. Many have been on the receiving end of poor outcomes after putting all their faith in a system that they wouldn't accept is flawed and disproportionately harsh to them.

Oh well, enjoy the weekend.

It was an easy conclusion to jump to after reading your: "The problem here is a crap culture. No need to make excuses for them" comment.

Quite on the contrary. Suggesting he (the killer) could be bonkers is not nation specific. It could be and is used as a reason (or excuse) all over the world. I don't think this double murder should automatically be seen as a product of Thai culture. We don't do that when murders are committed in most members' home countries.

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

It was an easy conclusion to jump to after reading your: "The problem here is a crap culture. No need to make excuses for them" comment.

Quite on the contrary. Suggesting he (the killer) could be bonkers is not nation specific. It could be and is used as a reason (or excuse) all over the world. I don't think this double murder should automatically be seen as a product of Thai culture. We don't do that when murders are committed in most members' home countries.

Without knowing you, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and suspect you have good intentions.

However, I continue to be bewildered by people who force themselves to avoid confronting statistics and degree and frequency in favor of "this individual incident could and had happened in every place so there is nothing interesting about this place". Is every country and every city and every race and every ethnicity EXACTLY THE SAME in all aspects and at all times ever in the history of humanity? Is everything the same? If so, I suppose there is no reason to continue to analyse anything at all. After all, humans and monkeys both kill their own, so there is effectively no differences amongst us.

35 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Without knowing you, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and suspect you have good intentions.

However, I continue to be bewildered by people who force themselves to avoid confronting statistics and degree and frequency in favor of "this individual incident could and had happened in every place so there is nothing interesting about this place". Is every country and every city and every race and every ethnicity EXACTLY THE SAME in all aspects and at all times ever in the history of humanity? Is everything the same? If so, I suppose there is no reason to continue to analyse anything at all. After all, humans and monkeys both kill their own, so there is effectively no differences amongst us.

All I'm trying to do is remain level-headed and balanced and not jump to conclusions in the face of such tragedies. What statistics are you suggesting people are forcing themselves to avoid? Are you suggesting that Thailand is a world leader in atrocities due to the nature of its culture?

I've seen no such statistics. I have seen people trying to distort statistics to make their points. One example is of how many British citizens die in Thailand, suggesting it's the most dangerous place for them to visit, with no mention whatsoever of the number of people visiting compared to other countries on the list.

I'd like to look at the statistics you claim many of us are forcing ourselves to ignore. I promise I will not ignore them.  

As my wife is Filipino, I'm associated with a country that makes Thailand seem like the safest country on earth by comparison. Ironically, apart from being much poorer, it is their "crap culture" that deserves much of the blame. Their excuse is they have been heavily influenced through foreign colonization over a 500 year period.

3 hours ago, tropo said:

All I'm trying to do is remain level-headed and balanced and not jump to conclusions in the face of such tragedies. What statistics are you suggesting people are forcing themselves to avoid? Are you suggesting that Thailand is a world leader in atrocities due to the nature of its culture?

I've seen no such statistics. I have seen people trying to distort statistics to make their points. One example is of how many British citizens die in Thailand, suggesting it's the most dangerous place for them to visit, with no mention whatsoever of the number of people visiting compared to other countries on the list.

I'd like to look at the statistics you claim many of us are forcing ourselves to ignore. I promise I will not ignore them.  

As my wife is Filipino, I'm associated with a country that makes Thailand seem like the safest country on earth by comparison. Ironically, apart from being much poorer, it is their "crap culture" that deserves much of the blame. Their excuse is they have been heavily influenced through foreign colonization over a 500 year period.

Hi Po u just want best of both worlds. ????

On 9/28/2018 at 1:05 AM, MartinBangkok said:

Do you think logic, decency, critical and relative thinking derives from the West and should be overlooked ...because 'this is Thailand'?

All above is Western thinking. In our eyes it is right, but in Thai ways not. If a Thai believes in Ghosts and Demons, it is HIS RIGHT and who are we to say that we are right in everything we do? If you think it is so important to be logical, critical and all above, stay there where you can do that. Thai Logic is different from our logic and being critical is indeed a western concept. If Thailand and its people is happy with that, who are we to put that upon the people here? In the time the Christians went out to spread Christianity, we thought it would be logic to believe in God almighty and all its companions and we didn't accept that other people believed that there are gods in the bushes or that wood had a spirit.

Just because we have a concept of life, doesn't mean that EVERYBODY needs to have the same concept.

This way you talk the same like every religious preacher does: his believe is the only true one. Our Logic is ours. Thais think different. Accept that!

Archived