Man ‘confesses’ to killing sister and her millionaire Brit husband

Jonathan Fairfield

9 hours ago, Enoon said:

The question of how (generally poor) Thai people perceive foreigners wealth (what constitutes "flaunting") and how foreigners (living among those Thai people) perceive their own wealth (and what constitutes flaunting) is well worth a discussion away from the emotive arena that has been set up on this particular thread.

I was told by a Thai person, 8 years ago, that it takes surprisingly little (by forum members oft expressed economic expectations/standards) to be perceived as arrogant and overmighty.

If anybody should be used to flaunting of wealth Thais should be, after all it even includes getting away with murder in Thailand

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Enoon said:

The question of how (generally poor) Thai people perceive foreigners wealth (what constitutes "flaunting") and how foreigners (living among those Thai people) perceive their own wealth (and what constitutes flaunting) is well worth a discussion away from the emotive arena that has been set up on this particular thread.

I was told by a Thai person, 8 years ago, that it takes surprisingly little (by forum members oft expressed economic expectations/standards) to be perceived as arrogant and overmighty.

As a general rule it isn't the foreigner who flaunts his wealth; but, a very large majority of their wives become "HiSo" overnight.  

10 hours ago, Happy enough said:

so the brother was the one that killed his own sister with a spanner. got to be seriously deranged.

how could anyone do that.

throw that scum in a shitty cell alone.....

Throw that scum, alive, in the same hole that the couple have now vacated, and fill it in, would be better.

11 hours ago, thequietman said:

It's called FACE and it is and continues to be, the downfall of this country.

Lovely country but needs a population transplant.

Sorry, but THIS is one of those remarks which I find very stupid. If this lovely country needs a populations transplant, then please: start leaving. What is called FACE is not the downfall of this country as it progressed pretty well compared to some other countries around it. This is Thai culture and not Farang culture. Though I find it horrible, what happened is most likely to happen in the future again, if Farang don't learn to shut up and adapt to the mentality here in Thailand. 

9 minutes ago, Thaijack2014 said:

Sorry, but THIS is one of those remarks which I find very stupid. If this lovely country needs a populations transplant, then please: start leaving. What is called FACE is not the downfall of this country as it progressed pretty well compared to some other countries around it. This is Thai culture and not Farang culture. Though I find it horrible, what happened is most likely to happen in the future again, if Farang don't learn to shut up and adapt to the mentality here in Thailand. 

What an utterly offensive post

So lets all happily adapt to jealous idle men children killing innocent people and battering the their own sister to death with spanner .

"its their culture you know" 

14 minutes ago, Thaijack2014 said:

The mentality in Thailand is retarded.

Speaking generally about foreigners living in houses in Thailand.

You have to do your homework on where youre going to live, the province and the district.

Every  province has its robber gangs who roam around looking for new targets.

A white man moving into an area that is isolated is a prime target.

You need to have Thai friends who can help you make the right decision.

Thai wives may or may not be good intentioned but they  more often than not will want to live near friends and relatives.  Show off the rich old farang in many cases which creates jealousy.

Its not true that these murders are new to Thailand.  It is true that Thailand is now firmly on the media grid as well as social media.

I remember years ago hearing stories of old western men being imprisoned and starved in isaan villages as the relatives milked his atm or bank account proper.

One farang used to go for a long walk every morning . A relative of his wife came up behind him and smashed him over the head with a piece of wood. Killed him because he was jealous the farang had  a nice house and overseas trips with the missus.

Its been going on for years.

24 minutes ago, Thaijack2014 said:

Don't quite see the idea of 'adapting to the mentality' here.

You really need to explain that more. Can you give examples of the 'good parts' of  the mentality.

Good TV coverage on channel 7 this morning, and for once quite impressed with how the RTP are conducting this investigation. Particularly liked the comment , "after intense interrogation", in reference to the three suspects.  

Looking at the  pictures of the couple's property and assets , I wouldn't describe them as flash.

Well not compared to some of the farang mansions around me.

16 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

No surprise for those of us old enough to still remember the Thai craze of 'pumping'.

Sticking a bicycle pump up your rear end and filling it with air. 

And no, it wasn't a myth as claimed by Snopes, I quite clearly recall it happening way back when. 

I don't need a bicycle pump; enough air escapes from my rear end to fill the R101.

9 minutes ago, Mikeasq60 said:

I love how in Thailand they always get a confession of quilt even if innocent quickly. Coercion....possibly...more like probably.

That makes for an interesting debate, it's hard to give a clear answer.

In this case, i guess, the Police were almost sure about the identity of the main culprit.

Just now, LolaS said:

I know, or I knew them,

Please thaivisa members refrain from these horrible comments about them and their family, you don't know them and stop judging situation in which you are not even slightly involved

I don't agree, or are you suggesting that some member is lying ?

Quite often we get interesting insights by posters who have seen/known the persons in the news.

12 hours ago, thequietman said:

It's called FACE and it is and continues to be, the downfall of this country.

Lovely country but needs a population transplant.

We are trying but in some areas they kill them off if we try to help them change for their better life.  Face, false sense of entitlement, financial corruption and Me-first.  All entwined and the worst aspects of the Thai character,  totally overshadowing any Buddhist influence in so many cases like this.

47 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

and American insistence (due to their colonial ambition) not to punish fascist Thailand for siding with the Axis in WWII.

“colonial ambition”, Way too  ‘Euro Conspiracy theory’ tripe. Thailand got off from paying the rice reparations to Malaysia Singapore, because they scammed a “shortage – famine”, (what did you expect),  in their own country.

“Britain regarded Thailand as having been partly responsible for the damage dealt to the Allied cause and favored treating the kingdom as a defeated enemy. However, the US had no sympathy for what they considered British and French colonialism and supported the new government. Thailand thus received little punishment for its wartime role under Phibun”.

Americas colonial ambition was little more than no sympathy for the Old Colonialism

Archived