Phitsanulok: Hospital administrators wai in apology after aggressive nurse video goes viral

webfact

Hospital administrators wai in apology after aggressive nurse video goes viral

2pm_VID.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Administrators at a leading Phitsanulok hospital have wai-ed for the cameras and promised an investigation after a video of one of their nurses abusing a patient went viral on Thai social media. 

The secretly filmed video showed an old man in a hospital bed. A cloth of some sort is thrown at his head before he is yanked roughly towards the nurse. Only then is his head propped up with the cloth. 

Some 189,000 people shared the clip after it was posted on Facebook. The poster said: You didn't expect this to be filmed did you? I am glad it was not my dad.

Comment was rife prompting the administrators at Phuttachinrat Hospital to go on a public relations drive on their own Facebook page. Doctors and nurses were seen wai-ing in contrition and talking about an immediate investigation. 

The head of nursing at the hospital said that the staff member was of previous good character and disposition. She was reportedly stressed out by being shamed in this way. 

But Sanook reported that the hospital had been under fire many times for its poor quality staff. 

They said that the man in the video is 90 years old and was admitted suffering from an asthma attack related to ongoing emphysema. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-26

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

She was reportedly stressed out by being shamed in this way. 

She should also be out of a job.

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

The head of nursing at the hospital said that the staff member was of previous good character and disposition.

Translation = "She hadn't been caught mistreating vulnerable patients before".

Evidently something had occured in the past as the shooter of the video was ready and waiting...

But a wai and a sorry will fix everything.

Nurses very caring people, not this cruel disrespectful woman.

So just wai and say sorry BS, she should be instantly dismissed and banned from nursing forever.

Who ever took the video was waiting for this to happen, so clear it had happened before.

Perhaps due to the passive nature of many Thais, the more verbally aggressive thais tend to take charge even if they aren't the best educated personnel.  It's similar to having an aggressive head secretary who tells highly qualified staff members when to jump and how high.  This seems to happen very often in Thailand.

That being said, it's commonplace around the world for elderly to be abused.  Fortunately this "nurse" was caught on tape.

I was in hospital recently, a diabetic old man, and one nurse took exception to my presence; no idea why other than being the only farang in the ward. Having a serious sugar low one night as I was forbidden any food or drink. I asked for the doctor and she said "no understand", another nurse? "No understand." Glucose? " No understand." Even though they were checking my glucose levels every two hours. Near passing out,  I had to pull my antibiotic and saline IV decorated tree, along with stomach tube hanging out my nose and into a bag, down the hall until I got enough attention to get a nurse to call a doc, who authorized a glucose bag be put on a second tree, all three plugged into the wall and with needles in my hands. (Try the bathroom stall down the hall with that, along with trying to hold up your Thai pajamas!) That same nurse would thereafter wave a temperature wand at me and check my blood pressure with one pump on the arm wrap and move on. I ignored it.

Counter to this, on the day shift, there was one of the most delightful, caring, sweet nurses, if not any female, on the planet. Woke up to that gentle face and thought I had died and gone to heaven. Seriously.

9 hours ago, BestB said:

Thai news reporting, this man passed away today. As she threw him around, oxygen tube came loose and she did not plug it back in.

The lady in question is going to be even more stressed out by a murder charge.

Archived