Shock and aspirin -- Fascino Pharmacy South Pattaya Road CLOSED!

Jingthing

Some months ago, a member posted that the local flagship Fascino pharmacy on North Pattaya was going to close.

As that place is quite popular with both Thais and expats, and often has meds that most other pharmacies don't, I found that really surprising, perhaps just another rumor.

Well now, last night I noticed that a much smaller Fascino on South Pattaya road had indeed gone out of business.

So that begs the question about the future of the Fascino on Pattaya Klang and the flagship on North Pattaya Road.

Any info about that?

3 hours ago, champers said:

Been in Nua this afternoon, staff practically forming a guard of honour when you go in. Many more staff than customers and they did not have the Adalat CR I was looking for.

Is there a general problem at the present in finding Adalat CR.My wife told me she had been unable to find it in Bangkok?

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sorry for the false alarm. Lights are on at Pattaya Tai again and they are restocking. Last night all the shelves were cleaned out like after a Zombie Apocalypse so I figured it was curtains.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, alarm indeed. Just planning my bimonthly restocking from the Pattaya Tai location. It seems only a year or two since they last did a minor renovation.

Only recently I went to make an appointment at my long term dentist on Pattaya Tai only to find it closed. Nothing to indicate whether that was a temporary or permanent event. 

15 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

You have not been able to get in Thailand for years you can get 81 mg for heart.also you can no longer get detol antiseptic cream

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I get 81mg aspirin from pharmacy on Sukhumvit Road, opposite Pattaya Orphanage & next door to DMED hearing aid shop. My last purchase was about 2 months ago.

Back in 2011 when we had the big floods, it is my understanding the maker in Thailand for 81mg aspirin was flooded and, at that time, restricted shipments of existing stock to hospitals.  Thus, many pharmacies said you couldn't get 81mg aspirin anymore or that you had to get it at a hospital.    Although this was only for a few months, it appears many smaller pharmacies still don't stock it and will still tell you it is unavailable or you must get at the hospital.

There are different brands of the low dose aspirins. The supply problem was with the Aspent brand in a small white bottle. You could always get the strips of 10 another brand at some places. I buy them at P and F, Central Pattaya Mall. 1 baht per pill and they're enteric coated as you'd want them to be. 

17 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Yes,my daughter brings some over for me,

@ivor bigun I do NOT wish to cause FUD, but you might wish to check on the legality of that, for your daughter's sake!

There are 1 or 2 threads running about people bringing prescription meds into Thailand, but if your daughter is bringing large quantities of meds in without a prescription, she may have problems at Customs.

I'm hoping @Sheryl sees this and advises - she is the knowledgeable one on TV about such matters.

Also, if your daughter flies via other countries (especially in the Mid-East) do tell her to ensure she packs meds in her checked bag, not hand luggage! 

Quite possibly you/she have considered this already, but just in case.

[mention=289970]ivor bigun[/mention] I do NOT wish to cause FUD, but you might wish to check on the legality of that, for your daughter's sake!

There are 1 or 2 threads running about people bringing prescription meds into Thailand, but if your daughter is bringing large quantities of meds in without a prescription, she may have problems at Customs.
I'm hoping [mention=14639]Sheryl[/mention] sees this and advises - she is the knowledgeable one on TV about such matters.

Also, if your daughter flies via other countries (especially in the Mid-East) do tell her to ensure she packs meds in her checked bag, not hand luggage! 

Quite possibly you/she have considered this already, but just in case.
Thanks,but yes her and i have been doing it for years,always put in checked luggage, especially when stopping in Dubai,luckily nothingi take is illegal there or here.

The rule is 30 day supply. And they need to be clearly labelled. They won't quibble at a bit more but a whole suitcase full is another matter. Obviously no problems if not checked, the issue is what if.

The main concern is (1) what it is i.e. that not a controlled substance, if in clearly labelled packaging then that is OK and (2) that it is for purely personal use not sale or use in making something else.

It is not the case that Aspirin at any dosage is no longer available OTC!!!  Aspirin is available in Thailand is dosages of 81, 300, 325 and 500 mg. Not only does it not require a prescription but it is classed as a non-dangerous drug i.e. can be sold in the absence of a grade 1 pharmacist.

What has happened is (1) there was a temporary stock out of Aspent brand  (2) Bayer brand is no longer available (out of stock a long time) and (3) a number of Thai brands are also no longer on market due to low sales, though there are still several brands remaining.

In addition there have been long standing warnings given to pharmacists to be sure not to give aspirin to people who might have dengue fever and to avoid giving it to children with fever, period.  Some Thai pharmacies are easily spooked -- especially those without a "real" pharmacist always on duty -- and will just stop carrying something altogether  when they get guidance like that (something similiar going on with tramadol).

This is largely a Pattaya phenomena. I have no idea if it is most pharmacies in Pattaya or just pharmacies which happen to be where a lot of TV members tend to go. As you can see from posts #16 and #17 some people are finding at least the low dose aspirin in Pattaya.

300, 325 and 500 mg remain easily available in most parts of the country.

where"s an Herb shop in Pattaya ?
You can buy herbal capsules in almost any pharmacy. But there is a specialized one inside Marina mall , next to Big C , or in Royal Garden Plaza , near Starbucks.

11 hours ago, balo said:

Very few customers inside Fascino when I visited a few days ago, in fact I was the only one, and I counted at least 15 staff. Let's hope they will survive.

I used to buy my medication from the Nua Fascino, but earlier this year started going to the hospital at Bang Saen and saved about 30%. Still call into Fascino from time to time for other stuff but as you say only ever a couple of customers.

• 3 months later...

Archived