Swedish man and Thai wife go to Chaiyaphum police after half a million missing from bank account

webfact

Swedish man and Thai wife go to Chaiyaphum police after half a million missing from bank account

1PM.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A Swedish man and his Thai wife have got fed up with being fobbed off by their bank after 480,000 baht went missing from their account. 

So yesterday they went to Muang Chaiyaphum police to make a complaint. 

Nonthaphat Sennontat, 47, and her husband, who was not named in the Daily News story, have been working in Sweden for six or seven years. 

While there they noticed that their account had been emptied - all that was left was 680 baht. 

The bank told them over the phone that they would have to come back to Thailand to sort it out. 

Once here they were told to go to the police as well as place authority for handling the case in the hands of their daughter. 

Two visits to the bank - not named as is customary in defamation crazy Thailand - failed to yield the return of the money. 

The wife complained that this trip was costing 120,000 baht. All they want is the return of the money that is rightfully theirs. 

The couple visit relatives each year who live in Ban Khawao district of the north eastern Thai city. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-27

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't leave a sum of money in a unused Thai bank account, one bank employee will notice it and plunder it in the hope it will not be uncovered for some time. More of these stories goes around and not only with Farang accounts

3 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Don't leave a sum of money in a unused Thai bank account, one bank employee will notice it and plunder it in the hope it will not be uncovered for some time. More of these stories goes around and not only with Farang accounts

But but but....the Thai government wants me to put 800.000 on a Thai account or i have to leave the country every 3 months with my wife.....

1 hour ago, Thian said:

But but but....the Thai government wants me to put 800.000 on a Thai account or i have to leave the country every 3 months with my wife.....

If you have 65,000, in income every month (if you not married then it is 40,000) you do not need to have 800,000 in the bank, if you get less than 65,000 you need to have the rest up to 800,000 or 400,000 in your bank for 3 months before the Visa is made.

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Just because she doesn't have the young hooker look that you seem to prefer. She's 47 according to article and the husband looks to be at least 50.

Doesn't it make you wonder what beats inside the chest of some people who will go to any lengths to dig up a derogatory remark about a total stranger...?

Breeding maybe?

2 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Just because she doesn't have the young hooker look that you seem to prefer. She's 47 according to article and the husband looks to be at least 50.

Exactly, and what do her looks have to do with the bank ripping the couple off?

Spot on, Vacuum.

6 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Absolute garbage.  Unless, of course, you've got something specific to share that backs up your ridiculous assertion?  'Course you haven't.

6 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

It still happens. Go back 20 years and it was even worse, to the point where many Thais would carry their bank book and every day go into a branch and get it updated to be sure nothing happened in the previous 24 hours. In those days of course there were no update machines, only update at the counter. 

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Doesn't it make you wonder what beats inside the chest of some people who will go to any lengths to dig up a derogatory remark about a total stranger...?

Breeding maybe?

More like inbreeding, I'd say. Looks are not everything, and you can't keep them forever. Remember Dorian Gray?

7 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

or don't leave your bank details in Thailand during your trip abroad - My bet is that there is no need to look further than within his wife's family or someone close to them alternatively a care taker - hopefully I am wrong, but unfortunately I have my doubts...

1. Who in their right minds uses a bank account without online banking? Given its Thailand, how can you not check the balance regularly?

2. Why can’t the police be notified, and the case started, by fax and phone? Of course brown packets must be delivered in person, but a local friend can do that.

3. As a rule, your Thai wife *must* be better looking than you (or bloody rich). You lose a lot of face in society by having a foreign wife (not being racist, just saying how it is) and lose cultural affinity in the marriage. You absolutely should be taking a benefit then in the looks department, and the wife has a responsibility to deliver.

P.S. Profile pic is not my actual photo; I won’t be marrying Ms Thai 2018

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I would be very surprised if the monies taken by an employee of the bank but maybe I am 

just lucky. I have operated up to 8 accounts over some 28 years & never had a Baht touched.

If anybody has a confirmed case of bank stealing please let me know.

I know all banks are robbers but not that blatent

26 minutes ago, natway09 said:

I would be very surprised if the monies taken by an employee of the bank but maybe I am 

just lucky. I have operated up to 8 accounts over some 28 years & never had a Baht touched.

If anybody has a confirmed case of bank stealing please let me know.

I know all banks are robbers but not that blatent

I have the same experience during 13 years and several bank accounts in different banks in Thailand - not one baht has disappeared.

The weakness of the bank system is horrifying...

Let us say that the couple left their Bank Book in Thailand, then someone just need to fill out a power of attorney form (the same form as when you deduct money - on the backside and do not need to be certified by anyone) and take the bank book together with a copy of the owner's ID and a copy of the blue book to empty the account and the copies could easily be false as the bank do not have anything to compare with - simple as that....

2 hours ago, hellstens said:

If you have 65,000, in income every month (if you not married then it is 40,000) you do not need to have 800,000 in the bank, if you get less than 65,000 you need to have the rest up to 800,000 or 400,000 in your bank for 3 months before the Visa is made.

And either way; bank balance or income, you can stay here the whole year and never leave but just report to Immigration every 90 days.

Surely a bank statement would show how the money was withdrawn, Bank Transfer  or by ATM card  ( real or cloned ) 

I was told a long time ago that Thais invested in gold trinkets because they did not trust banks. Thai gold is crap but Thais use it as a savings account ( even if they lose money on the deal )  

Archived