Swedish man and Thai wife go to Chaiyaphum police after half a million missing from bank account

webfact

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, SuperTed said:

1. Who in their right minds uses a bank account without online banking? Given its Thailand, how can you not check the balance regularly?

2. Why can’t the police be notified, and the case started, by fax and phone? Of course brown packets must be delivered in person, but a local friend can do that.

3. As a rule, your Thai wife *must* be better looking than you (or bloody rich). You lose a lot of face in society by having a foreign wife (not being racist, just saying how it is) and lose cultural affinity in the marriage. You absolutely should be taking a benefit then in the looks department, and the wife has a responsibility to deliver.

P.S. Profile pic is not my actual photo; I won’t be marrying Ms Thai 2018

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Thanks for the clear up on the photo, I was convinced that Brad Pitt

posted here

Considering the couple noticed the money missing from their Thai account in Sweden, then I assume they use on-line banking.

Could be a security breach somewhere. A keylogger or virus or malware on their computer, could they have logged into their bank account at an Internet cafe leaving their log in details on a public computer or used Wi-Fi that was hacked?  

We don`t know the whole story, could be their own negligence. The bank will refuse to cover the loss unless the couple can prove they were not negligent and that`s not going to be an easy task.

3 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Thanks for the clear up on the photo, I was convinced that Brad Pitt

posted here

I can't get online banking with my savings account with Bangkok Bank because online banking is a separate branch, and I need a work permit or some other qualification that I can't meet as a non resident. makes no sense, but TIT

11 hours ago, SuperTed said:

1. Who in their right minds uses a bank account without online banking? Given its Thailand, how can you not check the balance regularly?

2. Why can’t the police be notified, and the case started, by fax and phone? Of course brown packets must be delivered in person, but a local friend can do that.

3. As a rule, your Thai wife *must* be better looking than you (or bloody rich). You lose a lot of face in society by having a foreign wife (not being racist, just saying how it is) and lose cultural affinity in the marriage. You absolutely should be taking a benefit then in the looks department, and the wife has a responsibility to deliver.

P.S. Profile pic is not my actual photo; I won’t be marrying Ms Thai 2018

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

•  

I can't get online banking with my savings account with Bangkok Bank because online banking is a separate branch, and I need a work permit or some other qualification that I can't meet as a non resident. The only way I can check things is with my card or to go to the bank. makes no sense, but TIT. It shouldn't be hard in today's world to track down the culprit, even if it was Russian, Chinese, Ukrainian, or North Korean hackers. Everything leaves an electronic or paper trail.  I agree that the more likely scenario is that someone with their banking info has done this, and any profession can have a few bad apples, including banks. I predict that this will be solved

21 hours ago, TPI said:

Of course you're correct, as always, we can always count on your BS meter to fire up, even when you're asleep! (wood duck!)

Perhaps we can count on the poster to whom I commented to help prove your assertion of my bullshit by coming up with some specific evidence to back his ridiculous claim.  He won't, I guarantee it.

Or perhaps you've got something to back him up?  If you haven't perhaps you shouldn't be claiming that what I say is bullshit.

You'll have to explain what "wood duck!" means.

19 hours ago, AlexRich said:

How dare he suggest that fraud and corruption takes place in your beloved Thailand?

It’s not the first report I’ve read of people’s Thai bank account being dipped. The Government themselves have made public their desire to clamp down on corruption. An admission from the top that the problem is rife.

How dare he suggest that staff in Thai banks will steal your money as though it is par for the course.

19 hours ago, guest879 said:

this case for a start and I know of several others. I no longer leave any money in Thailand. 

What?  This case has not proved anything, they just want to know where the alleged missing funds are!  No bank staff have even been accused of theft, never mind having it proven against them so this case is not a start.  Good grief...

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

What?  This case has not proved anything, they just want to know where the alleged missing funds are!  No bank staff have even been accused of theft, never mind having it proven against them so this case is not a start.  Good grief...

and I know of several others. one personally.

It would be Interesting to find out the answer to this one, like who got the Money ? ...

...  a Bank Employee ? Or more likely one of their Relations, and well maybe them, and a bank Employee, who Improperly have them access to the account. ...

I know the story of a hard working Thai Maid, who went to Sweden for 12 Years, and put her pay half and half, in 2 Bank Accounts in Thailand, one for her Family to use, ...  and one as a nest egg for her self to buy a home with on her return. ... naturally when she got back,, both accounts were empty. ... And her mother just said, "We needed the Money" ... so well, Some Mothers and TIT ! and this is about as far as Thai bashing that I will go. ...

And naturally she could just do nothing about it, as to Shop Mum, would just not be on. TIT, Right ! SO only let your self have access to them, and always watch your bank accounts balances !!! ... In every country. ... 

16 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Such as...?

a guy I know put money in one of those 5 year interest bearing accounts. why I don't know. he went back to check on things a few years in and there was no record of the money ever being deposited and the bank employee has disappeared. quite a few years ago so I don't remember the amount. when I heard about it it was a bit of a wake up call as I assumed banks were reliable. no way I would risk keeping money in a thai bank. I have read several stories similar to this one and my thai girl says it is not uncommon.

1 hour ago, guest879 said:

a guy I know put money in one of those 5 year interest bearing accounts. why I don't know. he went back to check on things a few years in and there was no record of the money ever being deposited and the bank employee has disappeared. quite a few years ago so I don't remember the amount. when I heard about it it was a bit of a wake up call as I assumed banks were reliable. no way I would risk keeping money in a thai bank. I have read several stories similar to this one and my thai girl says it is not uncommon.

Yeah, sure. And his receipt for the deposit?

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Yeah, sure. And his receipt for the deposit?

I am not in contact with the guy any more so I am not sure if he was just given some sort of fake paperwork. for sure the banks can not be trusted.  it is smarter to simply not leave any significant amounts of money in a thai bank. even if the banks are honest their employees may not be. I saw a lot of theft  in Thailand. was very difficult to get staff who would not steal if the opportunity presented itself.

It's sort of odd that, and maybe I missed this in 6 pages, that bank can't even reveal if the money was withdrawn over multiple ATM's, or as a single transfer.

It's unfortunately but not the first anyone that has lived in Thailand for any length of time hasn't seen before.

Between thiefing relatives and a banking system which is, not quite what you would expect in the West. Not uncommon.

I fear they have spent money on airfares which will simply compound their loss

16 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

It's sort of odd that, and maybe I missed this in 6 pages, that bank can't even reveal if the money was withdrawn over multiple ATM's, or as a single transfer.

It's unfortunately but not the first anyone that has lived in Thailand for any length of time hasn't seen before.

Between thiefing relatives and a banking system which is, not quite what you would expect in the West. Not uncommon.

I fear they have spent money on airfares which will simply compound their loss

Same here, by now they should know where the money has gone, but we are left in the dark.

It think these kind of news leave the readers wishfully hope ( or hopelessly wishing ) for a follow-up.

17 hours ago, guest879 said:

I am not in contact with the guy any more so I am not sure if he was just given some sort of fake paperwork. for sure the banks can not be trusted.  it is smarter to simply not leave any significant amounts of money in a thai bank. even if the banks are honest their employees may not be. I saw a lot of theft  in Thailand. was very difficult to get staff who would not steal if the opportunity presented itself.

"I am not in contact with the guy any more so I am not sure if he was just given some sort of fake paperwork. for sure the banks can not be trusted". 

Geez...talk about solid evidence!

"...for sure the banks can not be trusted". 

Yes, Thai banks can be trusted.  I've been here for 25 years, have accounts with four different banks and have never had an issue with any of them and I have heard of no incidents reported anywhere where HSBC, KTB, KBank or Bangkok Bank staff have thieved from customers accounts.  Doubtless you will correct me with some specifics, as opposed to hearsay, though.

"I saw a lot of theft  in Thailand. was very difficult to get staff who would not steal if the opportunity presented itself".

Really?  So you were working for, and recruiting for, Thai banks, yes?  Which ones were you directly involved with for which you have evidence to back up what you allege about the staff being light-fingered?  

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

"I am not in contact with the guy any more so I am not sure if he was just given some sort of fake paperwork. for sure the banks can not be trusted". 

Geez...talk about solid evidence!

"...for sure the banks can not be trusted". 

Yes, Thai banks can be trusted.  I've been here for 25 years, have accounts with four different banks and have never had an issue with any of them and I have heard of no incidents reported anywhere where HSBC, KTB, KBank or Bangkok Bank staff have thieved from customers accounts.  Doubtless you will correct me with some specifics, as opposed to hearsay, though.

"I saw a lot of theft  in Thailand. was very difficult to get staff who would not steal if the opportunity presented itself".

Really?  So you were working for, and recruiting for, Thai banks, yes?  Which ones were you directly involved with for which you have evidence to back up what you allege about the staff being light-fingered?  

your money, you want to risk it that's your business. makes no difference to me.

5 minutes ago, guest879 said:

your money, you want to risk it that's your business. makes no difference to me.

Hahaha...!  Sure is, but no risk so far after 25 years.

And that is your only response to my points, you've got nothing to back up your allegations, then?  Thought that might be the case.

When I converted my visa to retirement I used an agent because 1. I did not want to leave the country and deal with immigration and 2. I didn’t have 800,000 in a Thai bank. The agent asked for my passport and bank book ( the account had just been opened with 300 baht). Magically as I was checking via on line means, 800,000 baht in 2 400,000 baht deposits appeared one day and were withdrawn the next from my bank account. My confidence in the security of Thai banking is forever shaken however I still use the same bank as I am very happy with their service but I never keep more money in Thailand than I need for each month.

Archived