Big Joke warns about "paak waan" foreigners as Thai woman conned out of 6 million baht

webfact

Big Joke warns about "paak waan" foreigners as Thai woman conned out of 6 million baht

7PM.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

The deputy commissioner of the Thai Tourist Police has warned his compatriots about foreigners who flatter females and con them out of money in romance scams. 

Maj-Gen Surachate Hakpan - famous for his high profile crime busting and known in the media as Big Joke - was thanked by a Thai pharmacist who had been ripped off by a Malaysian gang to the tune of more than 6 million baht. 

tp.jpg

The lady was at Huay Khwang police station in Bangkok yesterday to thank the Maj-Gen and his team for solving the case in just two days. 

Starting in July she had been contacted through We Chat by a man who said that he was a stock investor in Hong Kong. Love appeared to develop and she was persuaded to transfer money for investment in the Hong Kong stock market. 

She transferred between 100,000 and 200,000 a total of 56 times before the penny dropped.

By that time she had parted with a staggering 6,410,650 baht. 

She went to Big Joke on Monday and by yesterday he had two Malaysians in custody after they were arrested outside the Tai Fa restaurant in Sadao near the border. 

They were named as ringleader Lim Yae Hok, 60 and finance man Boon Cheng Nang, 45. A woman called Lee Fong Laen is being sought. 

Evidence was presented in the form of electrical equipment, including 11 phones and 25 ATM cards. 

Surachate said that Thais must be on the look out for flattering foreigners. Of course it is not illegal to strike up relationships with foreigners, he said, but he implored the Thai public - calling them "phee nong prachachon" rather in the manner of a veteran politician - to watch out. 

These scams are all very similar, he said, and use such platforms as We Chat and Facebook. Once the victim's confidence has been gained come the requests for money.

He said that Romance Scams were harder to bust than call center crime - many are not even reported. 

He urged women who think they have been conned into love and parting with money by "paak waan" (sweet talking) foreigners to contact his Tourist Police Bureau hotline. 

The pharmacist presented Surachate with flowers and praised the police for solving the case within two days. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-09-27

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow's news 200,000 farang petition big joke about being scammed in Thailand by some sweet mouth bar girls.i can't imagine how much money and property has been scammed out of farang over the years but without it Thailand would be a very poor country.it must blow the Thais mind when they are scammed by some stupid thick farang.i can see it now....what you were tricked out of money by a farang?????????????????

The underlying reason here is pure, blind greed and the dream of unreal profits. Big Joke, warn YOUR compatriots that if seems too good to be true, it generally is......lateral thinking is not one of their strong attributes! 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

She transferred between 100,000 and 200,000 a total of 56 times before the penny dropped.

I checked out the picture, and she definitely only has one head, so how on earth can she be so dim......I guess Love is really blind sometimes after all.

Not long after I first arrived I lent a 'paak waan' 5,000 baht. She seemed like the sweetest girl in the world. After she failed to return my messages or phone calls the day the money was due, I knew I wasn't getting the money back. 

I wish Big Joke had been around back then. She'd have been arrested, and I'd have had my money back in days ????

7 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Not long after I first arrived I lent a 'paak waan' 5,000 baht. She seemed like the sweetest girl in the world. After she failed to return my messages or phone calls the day the money was due, I knew I wasn't getting the money back. 

I wish Big Joke had been around back then. She'd have been arrested, and I'd have had my money back in days ????

was the 5k baht given before or after and was she worth it.............:clap2:

7 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I checked out the picture, and she definitely only has one head, so how on earth can she be so dim......I guess Love is really blind sometimes after all.

nothing to do with love...she was hoping to make a tidy profit :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The deputy commissioner of the Thai Tourist Police has warned his compatriots about foreigners who flatter females and con them out of money in romance scams

Well I don't know how that worked  .. I've been flattering woman 'ere for yrs but always end up sending them dosh not the other way around .. ????

3 hours ago, Wiggy said:

As the Tourist Police he should warn foreigners of paak wan Thais as well.

I guess that the scamming Thais wiilcome out on top.

In numbers and in amounts.

I think this policeman has his priorities wrong, hugely wrong.

1 minute ago, hansnl said:

I guess that the scamming Thais wiilcome out on top.

In numbers and in amounts.

I think this policeman has his priorities wrong, hugely wrong.

I think so too...

Priorities velly,velly wrong but that is because I thought he was a Field Marshal in the TOURIST police.

Archived