Gearbest purchase.

james.d

Hello All,

I will be using GearBest to purchase a tablet device as a gift for someone. 

The website states "free shipping to Thailand" but I am trying to find out if this really is free from Thai-Post insurance or taxes?

It is a gift and I will not be home to receive it then forward it.

The total price is 9402 THB for 3 items. It will be shipped from their China warehouse and they offer the choice of registered air-mail or priority line if that makes any difference.

Thank you for any feedback from personal experience with Gearbest.

Most likely all legit and smaller packages with small recorded value shouldn't be stopped by customs. 

But if the value is written as 3k baht or so. You may need to pay customs,  but worth the risk in my opinion.  

Depends on value and item usually but more often on the rule of the officer on the day.

My experience buying from Gearbest was from Europe and I paid extra to go for the priority shipment as I thought it would be better, this was my mistake, I had to pay taxes for customs, something around 15-20% (cannot remember exactly). I was told customs do check much more on the air-mail/priority shipment rather than in ordinary mail. I don't know if the same applies to Thailand.

Also the tablet I bought was defective and I had a not really pleasant time to get my money back, even the guarantee of DOA applied on my case.

I purchased a tablet from them a few weeks ago.

Yes it's free shipping.

Taxes in Thailand are nothing to do with them.

For what it's worth,  I used their standard shipping and 

did not get hit with any taxes at the Thailand PO.

IMO, once you start using priority services that involve

couriers, the greater the risk of getting taxed.

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

I purchased a tablet from them a few weeks ago.

Yes it's free shipping.

Taxes in Thailand are nothing to do with them.

For what it's worth,  I used their standard shipping and 

did not get hit with any taxes at the Thailand PO.

IMO, once you start using priority services that involve

couriers, the greater the risk of getting taxed

Thank you, may I ask out of curiosity the delivery time if you remember and did you get a tracking number for delivery to your door?

1 hour ago, james.d said:

Thank you, may I ask out of curiosity the delivery time if you remember and did you get a tracking number for delivery to your door?

Shipping took about 8 days.

You do get a tracking number but that only really tells you when it get's to Thailand and

the local post office.

It's delivered by your postie, not a courier.

27 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Shipping took about 8 days.

You do get a tracking number but that only really tells you when it get's to Thailand and

the local post office.

It's delivered by your postie, not a courier.

Thank you.

I have purchased a tablet and case, and a mobile phone from GearBest in the recent past. One item shipped from Shenzen, another from Hong Kong.

I had to pay 7% VAT upon acceptance of delivery in both cases; the VAT was applied to the original price, plus ~ shipping + insurance (~ 150 baht each). So if the item was 7,000 baht, the VAT was applied to 7,300 baht. Both orders came via DHL as I specified expedited shipping.

These type of items are excluded from any additional import, excise, duty taxes.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up as I started this thread, tablet device was received from Gearbest and did not pay any VAT. Gearbest had put value of 20$ and gift on the customs declaration. I did not request these instructions when placing the order.

Thank you for the input i received.

Archived