Landlord cut tree, now house stiffling, how to remedy?

bamboozled

Looking for some advice. My landlord recently cut down a 40 foot tree that provided ample shade for the house and yard. The house faces south and the yard is encased in concrete as is often the case in city houses. The tree blocked a good bit of sun for most of the day as it was fairly large and the branches covered a good bit of the area. Now, the house and yard are baking all day in the sun with a southern exposure. There is no escape and sitting in the house you can feel the waves of heat radiating off the concrete which spans about 40/50 feet across to the wall and adjacent house. I'm not especially happy about this development and in fact was not in-country when it happened or would have hopefully prevented it. Anyhow, the rent is quite reasonable or I would move. The house is wood/concrete and has windows all around though they are of screen and shutters but no glass. In fact, the "walls" are almost completely windows. Thus air-con all around is not really feasible as you would have to close all the shutters and live in the dark. So, I am looking for ideas on how to block this sun if at all possible. I thought of planting some kind of fast-growing bamboo or tree to replace the cut one...but really, I don't imagine it will grow quickly enough to provide much relief. A canopy extending from the house a couple meters into the yard? This would not block the waves of heat coming in but I suppose would cut them down. It would also darken the house a lot. I thought of a row of potted plants a couple meters out from the house. This would of course put an obstacle in the middle of the yard area but...at least it is prettier than a vinyl tarp or net or such. Watering down the yard every 5 minutes? Those misting hoses on the edge of the house? Since this is a rental I don't want to sink too much money into it. Does anyone have an idea or two?

Thank you!

Some of the area in my yard is shaded with inexpensive plastic garden mesh commonly called "salaem" (สแลม).  It can be bought at all garden stores, and comes in various densities and colors.

Fasten with plastic zip ties or wire; use plenty to prevent coming undone in the wind.  Bamboo poles and cross members as needed are also quite cheap to obtain.  If you can make it work, you'll be pleased with the protection from the sun that results.

garden mesh.jpg

Thanks, guys. This is certainly an option. It's sad that there once was a beautiful natural barrier that not only provided protection from the sun/heat but also softened and beautified the yard. Now what is left looks like a prison yard and feels like you're standing in the parking lot of Macro. I am really hoping I can come up with some sort of natural barrier that would somewhat duplicate what the tree provided in all ways. Perhaps I can put up the mesh for the time being and work on getting some plants strategically placed....

I appreciate your input, thanks.

28 minutes ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

Did your landlord offer any reasonably valid reasoning for cutting the tree? What prompted him to do that? Must have been quite an effort... Wondering what he really wanted to achieve.

The owner of the property doesn't need a reason to justify this action.  But, I would advise the OP to first obtain permission from the property owner before planting any trees and plants or making any physical changes to the property in writing.

52 minutes ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

Did your landlord offer any reasonably valid reasoning for cutting the tree? What prompted him to do that? Must have been quite an effort... Wondering what he really wanted to achieve.

A good question, since large trees can be transplanted, although at what are likely to be expensive rates.

53 minutes ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

I'm afraid many Thais seem to hate trees and appear to enjoy cutting them down. Happens a lot when they're bored and have nothing else to do.

There is no natural solution as any plantings would need at least 5 - 10 years to provide sufficient shade. Even bamboo would need at least 5 years to sprout enough stems and create a thick enough clump.

In Thailand, as in most hot countries, you need two layers of shade to make much difference. For example, the house provides one level of shade and the previous tree would have been the second layer to stop the sun heating up the structure of the house. 

I doubt there is anything you can do except to put in air-conditioning for those rooms you hang out in all the time.

45 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

The owner of the property doesn't need a reason to justify this action.

Sure he doesn't, right you are. But still significant effort has been taken by them resulting in changed conditions on the property. Now it is much different (deteriorated) from what it was when initially rented. This change was likely done on purpose. I wonder what that purpose might be. In a sort of human perspective.

7 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Black or green and several different shade densities, light transmission levels, if you check the larger suppliers. By the roll cheaper than by the meter.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect

My experience of these is the black ones attract mosquitoes. Shame, as I set up a nice extension for my car port with black. Replaced with green at neighbour's suggestion and away went the mozzies, but green is cheap looking.

3 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

The owner of the property doesn't need a reason to justify this action.  But, I would advise the OP to first obtain permission from the property owner before planting any trees and plants or making any physical changes to the property in writing.

Ehhhhhh, say what ? Property is rented, landlord can not just waltz in and do what he wants without tenant knowledge or approval that includes picking mangos from a tree growing inside rented house, let alone cutting down a tree

Ehhhhhh, say what ? Property is rented, landlord can not just waltz in and do what he wants without tenant knowledge or approval that includes picking mangos from a tree growing inside rented house, let alone cutting down a tree
Complain and the lunatic will come at you with the chain saw

They cut down the tree because they were afraid it would blow down in a storm and do damage to their property or the neighbors. The fear is not completely unfounded but it was highly unlikely. It was not a huge, heavy tree but it did provide a lot of shade. They don't care so much because they don't live in the house but it has become a furnace. The real heat comes not so much from the sun directly on the house but from the heat reflecting off the concrete. If the yard were grass I think the situation would be 100% different. We were going to trim the tree as agreed when we moved in but the landlady strong-armed my wife into chopping the whole thing down, in my absence. Yes, I can move but that's not the question I posted. My post is about possible solutions on mitigating the heat. Air con will work for the bedroom but I'm looking for someway to block the sun from hitting the house. Otherwise, I will indeed be forced to move.

It's not really necessary to come on here to call me an idiot, not that I'm surprised. To those folks that replied in earnest, thank you.

11 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

They cut down the tree because they were afraid it would blow down in a storm and do damage to their property or the neighbors. The fear is not completely unfounded but it was highly unlikely.

Don't forget that fast-growing tree branches are very easy to break with wind and storms, probably the tree was still growing at a fast rate, so that the landlord decided to cut it before it becomes too tall and unmanageable.

The green canopy all over the concrete area seems the best idea so far, and some potted shrubs might help to create a milder micro-climate.

You will have to water the shrubs very often, but that is necessary only in the dry season.

Don't buy small pots, better fewer but bigger, for better results.

Yes I think the canopy thing is probably really the only feasible option without spending a boatload of money. Unfortunately, that won't do much for the aesthetics of the situation. That and some shrubs/small trees as you suggest to create a barrier. I do have some 30 foot bamboo poles that I could try to rig up and run some of that netting across. It all starts to seem a bit ridiculous at a certain point. But if I can make it livable with a little ingenuity that would give me some time to find a suitable place to relocate if that's an inevitability. I'm still digesting the change. As I mentioned in my first post, the house is all windows with screens and shutters but no glass so to make air con feasible I would either have to close all the shutters or put glass. Not that the shutters close well anymore. That still leaves me with purchasing a lot of air cons, too boot. Thanks for the reply.

2 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Yes I think the canopy thing is probably really the only feasible option without spending a boatload of money. Unfortunately, that won't do much for the aesthetics of the situation. That and some shrubs/small trees as you suggest to create a barrier. I do have some 30 foot bamboo poles that I could try to rig up and run some of that netting across. It all starts to seem a bit ridiculous at a certain point. But if I can make it livable with a little ingenuity that would give me some time to find a suitable place to relocate if that's an inevitability. I'm still digesting the change. As I mentioned in my first post, the house is all windows with screens and shutters but no glass so to make air con feasible I would either have to close all the shutters or put glass. Not that the shutters close well anymore. That still leaves me with purchasing a lot of air cons, too boot. Thanks for the reply.

I would suggest you to spend a few days thinking about options, and speak with the landlord using your best diplomacy skills, so that he might propose some even better solution, and possibly help you to do the job in a proper way.

Misters around the eaves reduce the temperature quite a bit, would the landlord fork out for some insulation?, this can drop a house temp by 10 degs, shade cloth, large potted plants would help, but create work ( watering etc). Lots of options, just what suits your situation. 

my daughter has a house that we rent out and we had some tall trees ( once they get going, they grow fast)

I trimmed them many many times but finally had to admit is was too much work and the fear of limbs damaging neighbors homes led me to take them down.   The front yard is NOT concrete and there are other shrubs growing.   I still love big trees....but realistically you need a large plot of land to keep them .

Probably your landlord , as someone suggested, was concerned of the dangers of falling limbs.  As mauGR1 suggests, try to get creative.  Hopefully landlord will approve

2 minutes ago, rumak said:

my daughter has a house that we rent out and we had some tall trees ( once they get going, they grow fast)

I trimmed them many many times but finally had to admit is was too much work and the fear of limbs damaging neighbors homes led me to take them down.   The front yard is NOT concrete and there are other shrubs growing.   I still love big trees....but realistically you need a large plot of land to keep them .

Probably your landlord , as someone suggested, was concerned of the dangers of falling limbs.

Sure mate, moreover, a big tree with shallow roots may be easily eradicated during a big storm, and fall on a house with his weight plus the force of gravity.

Sometimes is better to cut a potentially dangerous tree and replace it with another variety.

10 hours ago, MrBrad said:

Some of the area in my yard is shaded with inexpensive plastic garden mesh commonly called "salaem" (สแลม).  It can be bought at all garden stores, and comes in various densities and colors.

Fasten with plastic zip ties or wire; use plenty to prevent coming undone in the wind.  Bamboo poles and cross members as needed are also quite cheap to obtain.  If you can make it work, you'll be pleased with the protection from the sun that results.

garden mesh.jpg

That is a good idea for a quick solution. Not prefect, but better than nothing. Also not that hard making it look nice, easy enough to have plants and an outdoor fan works well too. Another add-on, which maybe doesn't apply most year around is to pull some sprinkler lines on top, set to manual or slow drip, helps keep temp down some, but can get too moist/humid perhaps.

18 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Thanks, guys. This is certainly an option. It's sad that there once was a beautiful natural barrier that not only provided protection from the sun/heat but also softened and beautified the yard. Now what is left looks like a prison yard and feels like you're standing in the parking lot of Macro. I am really hoping I can come up with some sort of natural barrier that would somewhat duplicate what the tree provided in all ways. Perhaps I can put up the mesh for the time being and work on getting some plants strategically placed....

I appreciate your input, thanks.

I would be looking at an alternative 'reasonable rent' property. If you have one already, there are bound to be others. A plastic green net isn't going to improve the beautification of your yard.

I too had a large tree, (Lamyai) providing wonderful shade. 4 months after moving in - a violent thunderstorm brought the whole tree down. It will be years before the tree regrows sufficiently to provide the same shade. My rented property also faces south. Sunrise to sunset - full sun. We will be moving before next summer! The house is hot. Time to move on.

The tree should have been trimmed as we had agreed upon, in my opinion. Again, since the "yard" is all concrete, the heat is incredible and the house as-is is completely ill-suited to air con. Any option involves an expenditure of time and money on my part. Well, so it goes sometimes....you lose out. Moving wasn't on my list as I just re-signed another two year lease but it might be on my list now. I'm thinking as a starting point I will put some stakes in pots filled with sand and run that light green netting across the area. It will be ugly to look at but easy and cheap and we'll take it from there. I can at least take it down and put it up easily enough. I'll try adding some plants perhaps...and in the meantime start looking at new rentals. I tried watering the area yesterday and it quickly changed into a steam room. The misters might help.

Bundooman, are you making do with air con for the time being?

Archived