What is the best government school in Bangkok?

Owing to a change is circumstances I will have to pull my young child out of international school.  This is not actually too regrettable, as both myself and my wife had concerns, specifically how our child was beginning to compare himself to his much richer friends and feeling bad about his life.  

I have long taken an interest in Thai education and am aware of the pros and cons of both it and international schools; even if we were in a better position, we still wouldn't necessarily want him to continue in an international school.

We would like to send him to the best government school available in Bangkok, with my wife strongly preferring an English program.  I am aware the very best schools might still charge (and obviously they would for EPs).  

Does anyone have any (up to date) advice?

• 2 weeks later...

You will probably get better recommendations if you specify what part of Bangkok you are located in or can easily commute to.

Also, a bit of info about EP programs:

Many schools are offering EP programs now.  They usually cost 30K per term or more.  Some can be close to 100K per term, when you add in the cost of food, uniforms, field trips, extra classes and so forth.

In addition to EP programs at government schools, there are private schools in the same price range that are either all EP or have large EP programs. 

When you look at an EP program or school, I would ask a few questions, such as:

1. What percentage of classes are taught in Thai and what percent in English.  Usually, a full EP program will have English, Science Math and often Health taught in English, with Thai, Social Studies, P.E., Thai Dance, Art, etc., taught in Thai.  Some schools have a mini-EP program which just means extra English classes.

2. Where are the teachers from?  Some schools hire all Filipinos or Russians or Africans to save costs.  Others will have NES teachers for English and have non-NES teachers for Science, Math, etc.  Due to Thailand's rising cost of living, stagnant wages and stricter immigration rules it is becoming increasingly difficult for schools to find NES teachers with BA/BS degrees, so many schools are hiring non-NES teachers now. (Non-NES teachers often do an excellent job as subject teachers, but unless their English is really excellent I would not want one to teach English as a subject due to pronunciation and grammar issues.  Of course, some NES teachers have those same issues!)

3.  How long have the teachers been with the school?  Expats tend to come and go, so teacher turnover of up to 50% is not unusual, but higher rates of turnover are often a sign of a poorly administered and disorganized school.  If the school says "our old English teachers were all bad, we had to fire them all and we've hired good ones", run away!  The school probably refused to pay them during the school break or something like that. 

4. Try to talk to one or two of the foreign teachers privately.  Do the classrooms have projectors, A/C, speakers?  Is there adequate communication between Admin and the foreign teachers?  All of these things affect the quality of the education that the students receive.  

The area where you live will largely dictate which school you choose. You have more choice if you live in inner Bangkok. EP schools can range from 100K (or less) to over 500K a year (yes, that much). MUIDS charges 550K in total from M4, for example. 

• 2 weeks later...

MUIDS is in Nakon Pathom not BKK.

None of these are government schools. I'm unaware of any true public primaries with rankings.

For Boys

Satit Chula,

Amnuay Silpa

Assumption Ban Rak,

Saint Gabriel's,

SISB

Bangkok Christian

Bangkok Christian Intl

Prasarnmit Demonstration.

Sacred Heart Convent Primary (not EP side!) only to G6.

Girls schools much more choice.

You want your child to be fully engaged in the Thai language or they will be lost as adults. That spendy international school is not so plum when they graduate hs and can't write Thai and speak funny. Thus is a blessing in disguise.

Being luk krung at that point might create real social, career issues. I've heard this from two intl school teachers. I teach at an elite public high school, many of the kids can afford private international schools but go with the public's + tutoring.

Private is fine for luk krung boys in primary. Not many options. Build strong Thai and English skills, move to elite Thai public HS M1-3 and jump to best in M4-6 if possible. Competition is absolutely fierce in best Thai secondaries.

Many of the schools above not cheap, but solid education not price of fancy intl schools

On 10/21/2018 at 2:47 AM, ozmeldo said:

None of these are government schools. I'm unaware of any true public primaries with rankings.

For Boys

Satit Chula,

Amnuay Silpa

Assumption Ban Rak,

Saint Gabriel's,

SISB

Bangkok Christian

Bangkok Christian Intl

You want your child to be fully engaged in the Thai language or they will be lost as adults. That spendy international school is not so plum when they graduate hs and can't write Thai and speak funny. Thus is a blessing in disguise.

Being luk krung at that point might create real social, career issues. I've heard this from two intl school teachers. I teach at an elite public high school, many of the kids can afford private international schools but go with the public's + tutoring.

Private is fine for luk krung boys in primary. Not many options. Build strong Thai and English skills, move to elite Thai public HS M1-3 and jump to best in M4-6 if possible. Competition is absolutely fierce in best Thai secondaries.

Many of the schools above not cheap, but solid education not price of fancy intl schools

PM sent; hope this is okay.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 2:31 PM, DavisH said:

The area where you live will largely dictate which school you choose. You have more choice if you live in inner Bangkok. EP schools can range from 100K (or less) to over 500K a year (yes, that much). MUIDS charges 550K in total from M4, for example. 

MUIDS is not an EP school, it has an international licence i.e. It is an international school (Don't get fooled by thinking a western name before the "International" of other schools suddenly give those schools "legitimate international status"- the requirements to be an international school are clearly stated on the MOE website, and they're not that stringent).

• 8 months later...

For Boys

Satit Chula,

Amnuay Silpa

Assumption Ban Rak,

Saint Gabriel's,

SISB

Bangkok Christian

Bangkok Christian Intl

Wow, great info. Thanks.

Are there any good schools within the 100k a year mark (for a girl, primary level)?

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, NancyDrew said:

I checked Prasanmit Demonstration School and they're charging over 400k a year ???? and have large entrance fees, so it's not 100k not even close ???? too bad, we stay right nearby, and it'd be convenient (

Amnuay Silpa school is probably the best Bilingual School in Thailand, but is out of the Ops Budget - its about 300k+ per year.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:47 PM, ozmeldo said:

For Boys

Satit Chula,

Amnuay Silpa

Assumption Ban Rak,

Saint Gabriel's,

SISB

Bangkok Christian

Bangkok Christian Intl

Thats my main concern with International Schools - At an International School my Son's Thai will not develop at the level it should. Patana have him in extra Thai classes in School and we also have extra curricular Thai classes for him outside of School. Should he wish to remain in Thailand in the future he would need to 'know' Thai at a far higher level. 

That said, the primary concern is giving him a 'global education', one where he can sail into a Top UK University, that has to be at an International School or a Top Bilingual school and that costs a lot. 

Balancing the costs of education, benefits, pro's and con's of staying here with the quality of a child's education vs the options back home is perhaps one of the most difficult choices a parents has to make when living in Thailand. 

What are the best government schools in Bangkok?

• Suankularb Wittayalai School (Bangkok) Boys only. Suankularb Wittayalai Nonthaburi which is mixed.
  • Debsirin School (Bangkok) Boys only. There is also Debsirin Nonthaburi which is a mixed school
  • Sacred Heart Convent School Bangkok - Primary School

Those are very good schools. There are loads of very wealthy families who send their kids there and there are also very talented kids in those schools. 

4 hours ago, aqua4 said:

What are the best government schools in Bangkok?

• Suankularb Wittayalai School (Bangkok) Boys only. Suankularb Wittayalai Nonthaburi which is mixed.
  • Debsirin School (Bangkok) Boys only. There is also Debsirin Nonthaburi which is a mixed school
  • Sacred Heart Convent School Bangkok - Primary School

Those are very good schools. There are loads of very wealthy families who send their kids there and there are also very talented kids in those schools. 

I believe the discussion was about primary schools which accept boys. 

Suankularb Wittayalai in Yarowat starts at M1 as Nonthaburi. The latter is not an especially good school. Debsirin is thought to be a good school but I've not seen it's ONET scores. It never wins anything inter/nationally I'm aware of. Sacred Heart prathom on both sides is OK but you'll need special permission to get a boy in. Usually a sister attending/ed helps. It is a convent school. SHC is also a private school running which functions as a Thai public.

Absolutely nothing special about Suankularb Nonthaburi.

Prasarnmit Demonstration is definitely not worth 400k.

Try Assumption Ban Rak or Bangkok Christian, St Gabriel's is good too. 

For Boys

Satit Chula,

Amnuay Silpa

Assumption Ban Rak,

Saint Gabriel's,

SISB

Bangkok Christian

Bangkok Christian Intl

I am also concerned about the lag of Thai skills, especially reading and writing, when attending International schools.

If you have the time could you also list the best Thai schools for girls, please?

How would you rate Mater Dei school at Chitlom?

Archived