Good place to buy prescription glasses.

JimmyJ

I have an optometrist prescription already.

Been wearing soft contacts for decades but must temporarily wear glasses to let my eyes heal from infection.

I use magnifiers ("readers") for reading and want frames like those - all plastic, has springs where the long pieces meet the front lens frame so they can be pushed back rather than press hard against the head.

I recall that prescription glasses would inevitably start hurting on the nose or around/beside the ears.

These readers never hurt.

Tried one large shop today but he had none with springs and the all plastic ones were alteady out of shape and garbage.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jimmy, I've been a life long spectacle wearer and there is one important thing I've learned about frames. If you don't want them to hurt, make sure you buy the right size that fit you well. Springs in the hinge joints that you refer to are unnecessary if you get the fit right.

You haven't mentioned where you live, so how can we possibly recommend one? However, I've never known a country to be so well endowed with spectacle outlets and as Thailand. Just take your time and go from shop to shop until you find that perfect fit. You'll know when you do.

I also hope that your not relying on a prescription for contact lenses. It is not always the same as for spectacle lenses. In my case there is a difference of 1.5. Make sure you have a current eye test for spectacle lenses.

Good luck in your search and I hope that your eye problems are soon resolved.

ML

I love springed hinges for when I bump into something or fall asleep with them, they are less likely to hurt me or get tweaked themselves.

Have you tried one of the big malls? 

I've had great success with the herb eyebright btw, comes as a tea and you can put the wet bags right on your lids if its organic, or take capsules.

2 hours ago, ProbPossConf said:

Vision Center has been recommended in prior posts.  Wifey had prescription from Lanna Hospital but Dr. Apichet at Vision Center did an eye exam with the prescription and found it was incorrect.  The adjustments were used to make her eyeglasses and wifey claims she can see!

Thanks.

Do you have an address for them?

Apparently they're only listed on Facebook but I can't find an address there.

OP, if you only have minor eyesight problems you can get your lenses anywhere. However, if you have above average vision problems, like myself, I can recommend Charoensilp at Thapae RD 101-105 (oposite the former AIS office).

I have tried very many places including the popular Vision Center, but all of them where cr*p. This place is the only one one that could do an eye exam that I was happy with. Highly recommended.

1 hour ago, amexpat said:

I cast one more enthusiastic vote for the highly recommended Vision Center.  

Yes, having read all the recommendations of his place several years ago, I went there but he couldn't make proper lenses for me. I even went there a second time after he failed with his first attempt, same result.

I had an optometrist exam at Ram Hospital 2 days ago.

Also hopefully after a short time I can go back to soft contacts and just use these for backup (haven't had a pair of prescription glasses for decades).

So my major issue is getting comfortable frames which won't start hurting after wearing for an hour (or 16).

I found Vision Center. I pass it all the time but the 3 large yellow vertical signs are in Thai, as is everything on the windows other than the hours.

It's not even readily apparent that it's an eyeglass store.

It is  5 doors away from the UN Irish pub.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

I had an optometrist exam at Ram Hospital 2 days ago.

Ah! Hey, if you don't mind sharing: Do you know if one needs an appointment or can you just walk in? I'm also curious what it costs and how long it takes, and your opinion of the place, please. I've considered going there and saw mixed reviews.

On 9/29/2018 at 1:30 PM, YogaVeg said:

Ah! Hey, if you don't mind sharing: Do you know if one needs an appointment or can you just walk in? I'm also curious what it costs and how long it takes, and your opinion of the place, please. I've considered going there and saw mixed reviews.

It's theoretically possible to book online or by phone, but from what I understood of what they told me when I first called, it's necessary to show up in person before they finalize the booking, at least for one's first time using the hospital.

One can definitely walk in with no appointment.

The 1st time I went I had to wait about 2 hours but after that I had followup appointments with the doctor and the wait times were more reasonable.

I think the hospital is fine.

Doctor fees tend to run about 900 BHT for exams for eyes in my experience.

I also saw a Dr. about a cough and it was 500 BHT (No app't. with him - decided to see him when there for an eye dr. followup - saw him almost immediately).

Medication fees never seemed out of line.

Thaivisa forum has a grest resource for medical issues - Sheryl.

She's very knowledgeable about doctors and medical facilities in CM and other areas.

You can reach her thru the Medical subforum.

There's also a sticky thread there with Dr. recommendations.

16 minutes ago, amexpat said:

At Ram?  ????   Is +/- 300%  in line? 

I rarely use any medications and the eyedrops I got I never had need of before so can't compare.

If you"ve compared with Thai pharmacies and you state that Ram is several times higher I accept your evaluation.

On 9/28/2018 at 9:26 PM, Moonlover said:

Jimmy, I've been a life long spectacle wearer and there is one important thing I've learned about frames. If you don't want them to hurt, make sure you buy the right size that fit you well. Springs in the hinge joints that you refer to are unnecessary if you get the fit right.

How are you people getting the fit right?

At Vision Center I was shown frames with springs and the owner pointed out that the side arms were short for my head.

He said they're made for Asians and only in that one size.

On the positive side, he pointed out something I hadn't noticed - my readers with springs that I find so comfortable also have short arms.

So for whatever reason I guess I'll be ok with his if I get them.

I brought a spare reader and he told me I can go to a smaller shop and have them get lenses to fit into the reader glasses. Said his shop can't do that with their equipment.

I hesitate to do this because its also difficult to find comfortable readers, and, I imagine that if the lenses fall out or the frame cracks or the lenses aren't cut correctly for the prescription that responsibility will be shrugged off and blamed on me not buying their own frames.

Anyway, I need to decide today.

1 hour ago, MamaSan said:

Anyone know a reputable place to get a correct prescription ONLY?  Vision Center will not release it - so you're stuck having to buy frames there as well...

I got an eyeglasses prescription at Chiang Mai Ram from an optician who seemed very competent and took her time doing the exam rather than rushing thru it.

Unfortunately and surprisingly she didn't sign her name to the Rx I now notice.

I should be able to get it later this week and will post it.

If Vision Center charges for the eye exam it's outrageous not to release it.

Just now, Vacuum said:

Says it all about this place.

I walked in there a few years ago offering to pay for an exam....they wouldn't do it.  I drove 80 kids on a school bus with a ten dollar pair of zennis, in traffic about as bad as Bangkok.

13 minutes ago, DonDoRondo said:

In no time they had me well north of 5000 baht and so I've never bought glasses there.  

I bet you weren't talking with the owner/main man.  I have bifocal computer glasses with all the filters, bells, and whistles for

about 3000.  I've returned some time later to see about an update to the rx.  He gave me the full exam and found my vision

hadn't changed enough to warrant new lenses.  NO charge.  Also had another positive free experience with Vision Center. 

To me, hoping to get the right fit online and waiting three weeks seems like choosing the hard way.  Up to you, Thailander. 

Archived