Good place to buy prescription glasses.

JimmyJ

At some of the larger events such as the Winter Fair, there will be a mobile optician operating.

Eyes are tested on the machine, get them to do a double check with the lens sets.

They then make them on-site in about 1/2 hour as you go about strolling and munching.  

Glasses cost about 400 THB, I always try to pick up a few pairs when passing.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/27/2018 at 9:02 PM, CharlieH said:

I havnt read the previous 4 pages, but just to say I recommend Zenni, if you have your prescription. Great value and service in my experience, just ordered again yesterday as they have a 20% off promotion running. ($150 for 2 pairs inc.shipping)

USD150 for two pairs? That seems quite expensive. I get two pairs of glasses plus a proper eye test by a fully qualified optician for well under USD120 in the UK at Boots.

Or is there something special or unusual about your lenses or prescription?

57 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

USD150 for two pairs? That seems quite expensive. I get two pairs of glasses plus a proper eye test by a fully qualified optician for well under USD120 in the UK at Boots.

Other than thin, progressive lenses, no.

As for Boots, in 2017, they didnt have just frames under £70 and with lenses etc they wanted over £300 a pair Specsaver £270 but atleast you got a second pair, although i find their frames cheap and fall apart or rot, out here.

So at around £100 for 2 pairs Zenni seemed a good deal to me.

20 hours ago, moontang said:

no, but it has been indicated that there are at least two different Japanese eyeglass outlets in CM that are not up to par.

ummm... Did the OP ask for information on bad places ?  I think you will find he wanted to know good places. We should all bow to your empirical proof that Owndays must be just as bad as every optician with a Japanese sounding name, which BTW is probably not even Japanese lol. Should I ignore my own experience, or a rating of 4.9 /5 from 5000+ votes on their Facebook ?.. they must be all fake..

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Other than thin, progressive lenses, no.

As for Boots, in 2017, they didnt have just frames under £70 and with lenses etc they wanted over £300 a pair Specsaver £270 but atleast you got a second pair, although i find their frames cheap and fall apart or rot, out here.

So at around £100 for 2 pairs Zenni seemed a good deal to me.

Eventually, the tints start separating, but that is after years of abuse.  I have been paying closer to 30 USD for two pairs delivered, but if you want something to go with a nice polyester suit, the sky is the limit.

• 2 weeks later...

What a fun thread

Looking to get a replacement pair as I busted, (and I mean busted) my regular pair yesterday. I am looking to get them now, not zenni, not boots in the UK or for that matter Costco in the US. Vision center sounds good but no one HERE actually gives a price. Same with the other shops..

Last pair I bought was 2 years in in P-loke but I was living in Sukkothai then. I'm sure I paid 3K for the frames a little more for lenses;  ballpark 4500 B Total - probably less. Did not keep the price tags. I suspect they did not give me the prescription either but searching right now .. heh

I expect to pay more now and in Chiang Mai, so any recommendations on lenses and frames for say 5 K. No bifocals nothing special. Just need a price and a place. Would like them in a day or two, I have a back up pair but beat up frames a scratch on one lens. I have two nice pairs of prescription sunglasses BTW,  but they can get dark at night. Go Figure

PS I have never had a problem with Thai frames even though I have a big sharp nose sometimes referred to as "The Fin"

PSS I am not going to hold you to the price, just would like an rough estimate of what I will be getting into from whatever shop you recommend. That's all.

Any help gratefully and respectfully appreciated. If you do not want to post it up just message me. Thanks again.

• 4 months later...

If anyone has to leave the country for visa reasons. Eye glasses are much cheaper in Indonesia. 

Progressive lens, Photochromic, about 4500 baht. Much cheaper than was quoted in BKK. Sadly plastic not glass but maybe they don't exist anymore? 

• 3 months later...
On 12/5/2018 at 10:53 AM, KittenKong said:

Unfortunately, the price of getting to the UK for the glasses raises the price a bit. ????

David

On 10/1/2018 at 7:42 PM, Vacuum said:

It's all about the eye examination. If you can read the bottom line and the stuff on the right, you should be happy.

The lenses are ordered from Bangkok, whatever optician you go to.

well i think some of the chosen lens quality materials do differ optically, you have a high def progressive, trivex, crown glass has the best optics but its heavy and thick. try mentioning crown glass in a shop they look at you like your crazy and immediately start talking about plastic.

but yep, the actual lens manufacture all comes out of the same factories, just like the frames do, but there are different levels of quality within the same factory. thats why they need your frame beforehand. all these different stores are just shipping back and forth to the same handful of places.

no independent optician can afford the machines necessary to manufacture their own lenses. way too expensive.

someone mentioned zenni, those all come out of a cheap (pun intended) factory in china both the frames and lenses and believe me you dont want to walk around with a zenni frame on your face all day.

"someone mentioned zenni, those all come out of a cheap (pun intended) factory in china both the frames and lenses and believe me you dont want to walk around with a zenni frame on your face all day"

I do and so do many others on this forum, they also have a very high  positive review on the internet.

I have a few pairs, never had any issues, when I had a minor accident with one pair they even sent a replacement part free of all charge Inc postage !!

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

"someone mentioned zenni, those all come out of a cheap (pun intended) factory in china both the frames and lenses and believe me you dont want to walk around with a zenni frame on your face all day"

I do and so do many others on this forum, they also have a very high  positive review on the internet.

I have a few pairs, never had any issues, when I had a minor accident with one pair they even sent a replacement part free of all charge Inc postage !!

if your satisfied you have a point, however i would venture to say you dont know what a good frame is or what looking out of a high quality lens feels like.

as for the reviews there sole web based businesses pay big money to pr firms to have bad reviews and comments bumped down. in the jndustty its called "reputation management" and is one of the top drivers of sales these days, if not THEE most important factor.

enjoy your $20 frames, maybe you got lucky!

Digressing slightly. Where can you get a good independent paid for prescription where you aren't tire into buying glasses from the shop that tests you? I like to look around for my glasses and not be limited to ok one shop.

Heard Ram and St Peters mentioned not keen on either, is there a decent opticians who isn't the one everybody loves in Chiang Mai - Vision....? If he did paid prescriptions I would be only too happy to go for my eye test and browse.

Thanks 

On 11/27/2018 at 9:02 PM, CharlieH said:

I havnt read the previous 4 pages, but just to say I recommend Zenni, if you have your prescription. Great value and service in my experience, just ordered again yesterday as they have a 20% off promotion running. ($150 for 2 pairs inc.shipping)

Totally agree. I got a pair of progressives from KT Optic in Phitsaulok, Essilor Varilux lenses, nice titanium frames, total Bht 24,000. They are great. Needed a spare pair so sent the prescription off to Zenni. Within a week for Bht 1800 I had a pair BETTER than the KTs! Haven't had 'em off my face since.

If your hat size is 7.25 plus and your nosebridge is 18.5+, the selections will be extremely limited in CM. Worse than the selection of left handed golf clubs.  I reported here years ago, that they refused to do an exam for cash near Zoe, and that was disputed.  You can try the cattle call at RAM, after you make an appointment to be in the cattle call.  McCormick might be worth looking into. 

Flame post removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

1 hour ago, moontang said:

If your hat size is 7.25 plus and your nosebridge is 18.5+, the selections will be extremely limited in CM. Worse than the selection of left handed golf clubs.  I reported here years ago, that they refused to do an exam for cash near Zoe, and that was disputed.  You can try the cattle call at RAM, after you make an appointment to be in the cattle call.  McCormick might be worth looking into. 

Exactly they don't all have the choice of glasses you want so I prefer a reliable paid for prescription without the necessity of buying in the same shop. Independent is always best bit like a Financial Advisor LOL

The aftersales at KT optic at Mee Chok plaza is terrible, I needed some repair work on some frames I bought there, I was told it cant be repaired and I would need to buy another set of frames for around 7k and all the girl did was grin like an idiot when telling me, so I went to vision center in town and got them repaired for 200thb.

Archived