Cost of Thai Clinics for Thai Babies

Stevey

I have a long time 40 yr oldfriend Who lives near Phon Pi Sai, Nong Kai. She says when she goes to the local clinic to have her young 6month baby checked out that she must pay, usual ailments are baby hot and coughing so that’s a trip, if no drugs are given how much would that cost ? , also the whole birth had a cost. I have always doubted this but can’t really tell if it’s the truth. As the costs don’t ever cost me a lot I go along with the story. 

Let me have it. 

If she goes to the government hospital to which the baby was assigned she has to pay 30 THB if the baby is sick. If it's just a checkup i think she has to pay it by herself, but in a goverment hospital the doctor fees are really low. I once went to a doctor because my ear hurt, the doctor fee for checking my ear was 50THB, so this gives you an idea about which costs we are talking here if no laboratory tests or drugs are needed.

If she goes to a private clinic she does of course have to pay it by herself.

I assume giving birth is also covered with 30 THB.

Hhmmm. It’ll be the cheapest local government hospital probably Phon Pi Sai. She led me to believe there was quite a cost to a birth and that she would have to borrow from family   Quote from Email 8mths ago “ Steve sorry (last) month I ask you can you  help me with some money about 5000 bhat because I worry my money not enough pay for hospital I still have money now only 8000 bhat”. 

Unless it was a private place but I doubt it and saw a pic of the little future Vat payer in blue and Pink sheets , very public hospital. 

I couldn’t believe it at the time either but hey ho. ???? never leave an event like a birth pass without maximising the opportunity to create some cash. 

Giving birth does have costs.  It may be possible to have a baby without any but things like the vitamins that are recomended and folic acid are I believed not covered.  She will need nappies and baby clothes and milk bottles and milk pumps.  

There's a few costs which are hidden but seriously 5k baht and you are fretting. Providing the child is real then I can understand the ladies concerns. Maybe she is going to a cheap hospital but what about support and such?  Maybe she wants her family there and has to stump up for that. Maybe the hospital has a vip section and she wants to rest and recuperate with a bit of peace and quiet.

Maybe her family have no money but she's planning ahead knowing she needs support with the newborn. There's a million things to consider just maybe she is using a catch all reason and the truth be told the costs you speak of are minimal so what is the issue here?

3 hours ago, harrry said:

Giving birth does have costs.  It may be possible to have a baby without any but things like the vitamins that are recomended and folic acid are I believed not covered.  She will need nappies and baby clothes and milk bottles and milk pumps.  

Thanks

3 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

There's a few costs which are hidden but seriously 5k baht and you are fretting. Providing the child is real then I can understand the ladies concerns. Maybe she is going to a cheap hospital but what about support and such?  Maybe she wants her family there and has to stump up for that. Maybe the hospital has a vip section and she wants to rest and recuperate with a bit of peace and quiet.

Maybe her family have no money but she's planning ahead knowing she needs support with the newborn. There's a million things to consider just maybe she is using a catch all reason and the truth be told the costs you speak of are minimal so what is the issue here?

It’s nice to know your looking out for her ????. It not mine , it’s her errant boyfriends’, and she wouldn’t be looking to be in the VIP wing either. She appears to be genuinely poor but I may be one of many sponsors, one never knows. I’ve supported her 5-7k a month since the baby ???????? ???? hatched ????.  But as you ask “so what is the issue here?”  ‘Cost of giving birth ‘ That’s just it and from the sound of things a poor 7-11 worker wouldn’t need to waltz in to a Gov hospital with 1000’s of Baht to drop a new Tax payer ! ????

Just now, Stevey said:

It’s nice to know your looking out for her ????. It not mine , it’s her errant boyfriends’, and she wouldn’t be looking to be in the VIP wing either. She appears to be genuinely poor but I may be one of many sponsors, one never knows. I’ve supported her 5-7k a month since the baby ???????????? hatched ????.  But as you ask “so what is the issue here?”  ‘Cost of giving birth ‘ That’s just it and from the sound of things a poor 7-11 worker wouldn’t need to waltz in to a Gov hospital with 1000’s of Baht to drop a new Tax payer ! ????

Fair play that's a nice thing to do.

The clinics just for injections and stuff cost a fair bit.

The booklet with the list of injections needed for all vaccinations up until 18 months is costing about 25k over that period, maybe a couple of non mandatory ones included in that cost but those injections add up. One batch cost 14k for the full course. 

Maybe if you are concerned where the cash is going you could ask about the baby booklet and have her show you the injections page and next to each one a doctor may have signed or coded the booklet to keep track of what the child has been given.

6 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Fair play that's a nice thing to do.

The clinics just for injections and stuff cost a fair bit.

The booklet with the list of injections needed for all vaccinations up until 18 months is costing about 25k over that period, maybe a couple of non mandatory ones included in that cost but those injections add up. One batch cost 14k for the full course. 

Maybe if you are concerned where the cash is going you could ask about the baby booklet and have her show you the injections page and next to each one a doctor may have signed or coded the booklet to keep track of what the child has been given.

Hmmm that’s interesting about the injection record. I’ll ask about that. I’d just like to really be sure that could she have walked into that hospital as a citizen and have that baby with out the 5000bt , she couldn’t work up to the drop date for being so big so where would she or a 7/11 worker have got any money. I spose I just want to know is she spinning me a yarn. And as for 25k of injections where’s does anyone get that money on top of running repairs to a Honda Click ????

I asked my GF who works in a government hospital about this and according to her the 30 THB scheme covers everything essential, so giving birth is free and the baby also gets things like vitamins and vaccines for free. She does not know the exact details about vaccines, so it might of course be that there are recommended vaccines which are not free.

If somebody wants to stay in a private room this does of course cost extra. If the woman wants a c-section but it is not a medical necessity she would have to pay for this, if it is a medical necessity this would also be free.

An inoffical "cost": It seems common to tip the doctor and nurses (this may very well come in the form of chocolate or similar) so that they pay special attention, but this is something like 100 THB, so a few hundred THB if you tip all nurses involved

So when she says that her 8000 THB are not enough this is probably not true ????

She could have walked an the hospital and have the baby for 30 THB

9 hours ago, jackdd said:

So when she says that her 8000 THB are not enough this is probably not true ????

Is does appear she is most definitely lying. 

Thanks for the information. I shall at least enjoy her squirm under questioning ????

On 9/29/2018 at 7:58 AM, jackdd said:

I asked my GF who works in a government hospital about this and according to her the 30 THB scheme covers everything essential, so giving birth is free and the baby also gets things like vitamins and vaccines for free.

Had my 3 kids born in a government hospital cost nothing other than for the missus to have a private room. 800 Baht per night

14 hours ago, Stevey said:

Is does appear she is most definitely lying

100%

On 9/29/2018 at 5:59 PM, Stevey said:

Is does appear she is most definitely lying. 

Thanks for the information. I shall at least enjoy her squirm under questioning ????

Oh you want to see her squirm under questioning? Fycks sake mate you been her sponsor for how long you goose? Give her the money freely or don't give it at all. You either like the girl and want to help her out or you don't.  Long term "girlfriend" and your worried bout a couple hundred bucks? If she is going to a clinic it's definitely not free or 30 baht for that matter and yoy have been giving her money all that time and now want to put her under the knife for the costs of having a child 6 months ago....geez mate your all heart.

On 9/28/2018 at 11:24 PM, Stevey said:

Hhmmm. It’ll be the cheapest local government hospital probably Phon Pi Sai. She led me to believe there was quite a cost to a birth and that she would have to borrow from family   Quote from Email 8mths ago “ Steve sorry (last) month I ask you can you  help me with some money about 5000 bhat because I worry my money not enough pay for hospital I still have money now only 8000 bhat”. 

Unless it was a private place but I doubt it and saw a pic of the little future Vat payer in blue and Pink sheets , very public hospital. 

I couldn’t believe it at the time either but hey ho. ???? never leave an event like a birth pass without maximising the opportunity to create some cash. 

I just checked with my Thai son and his wife, they said It's possible that the birth, if at a standard Thai government hospital wouldn't be free or 30B. Lots of different possibilities and nowadays there are several levels of government hospitals, some levee some additional fees generally fairly low amounts, so I'm told.

On 10/2/2018 at 2:18 PM, starky said:

Oh you want to see her squirm under questioning? Fycks sake mate you been her sponsor for how long you goose? Give her the money freely or don't give it at all. You either like the girl and want to help her out or you don't.  Long term "girlfriend" and your worried bout a couple hundred bucks? If she is going to a clinic it's definitely not free or 30 baht for that matter and yoy have been giving her money all that time and now want to put her under the knife for the costs of having a child 6 months ago....geez mate your all heart.

Oh !! A keyboard warrior ????

On 9/29/2018 at 1:58 AM, jackdd said:

I asked my GF who works in a government hospital about this and according to her the 30 THB scheme covers everything essential, so giving birth is free.

On 10/2/2018 at 2:32 PM, scorecard said:

I just checked with my Thai son and his wife, they said It's possible that the birth, if at a standard Thai government hospital wouldn't be free or 30B. Lots of different possibilities and nowadays there are several levels of government hospitals, some levee some additional fees generally fairly low amounts, so I'm told.

Score card. JackDD seems to think it's all pretty minimal cost for a birth? Where do people get the money for births and fixing dying baby's when they work in a shop ? 

39 minutes ago, Stevey said:

Score card. JackDD seems to think it's all pretty minimal cost for a birth? Where do people get the money for births and fixing dying baby's when they work in a shop ? 

I asked my son and his Thai wife to give me some more details on the cost, their response was, as I expected, 'there is no really standard price/cost', they continued they are aware of folks paying 1.000Baht all up, even 800Baht all up and every other price you can mention.

I fully accept that there are many many poor / struggling folks who unfortunately would even struggle to pay a 1,000Baht fee, and I mentioned this to my son, he agreed and his response was: in some cases maybe the family pool some money, maybe borrow from a loan shark... The loan shark route is unfortunate but doesn't surprise me, and with all respect I'm going to guess probably wouldn't surprise you also.

And I am aware that my son and his wife have quietly sponsored all the costs of 4 babies, all grandchildren of our wonderful long-term mere baan. 

On 9/28/2018 at 5:22 PM, Stevey said:

also the whole birth had a cost. I have always doubted this but can’t really tell if it’s the truth.

Birth is free if it's the local government hospital (and she has her house book in that area).

But many Thai ladies appear too daft to register for the free birth.

Clinic is private, usually 100-200bht/visit.

My neighbours just paid 30,000bht, because the girl was too lazy to register at the local hospital.

My kid was free at the same hospital a few years back, because I got mom to do the paperwork.

3 hours ago, Stevey said:

Oh !! A keyboard warrior ????

How do you figure that Einstein? I never threatened him, pretended to be hard or called him out. I just said you been sponsoring her for that long and now you want to reconsider an investment. Nothing hard about calling a goose a goose champ. Cheers 

On 10/2/2018 at 8:32 PM, scorecard said:

You are being told bull****.

My wife was advised by her regular doctor to secure a good midwife/doctor team and book a bed in advance in the maternity ward. Cost the princely sum of around 3000 baht, there were also some admin costs on leaving the hospital a further 2000 baht, I was there so know this was the case. In the event my son was born, no hardship to my wife, or son looked after well for 4 days on the maternity ward, I was allowed to sleep on a mat alongside/under the bed. A great experience.

If you listen to some people, everything in Thailand is so cheap if your wife girlfriend asks for money she is somehow trying to take you for a mug.

Not the case. It is usually possible to pay a minor fee to ensure availability of a bed as long as is required, for example. Then there are the private rooms with TV that are more expensive yes in the 30 baht hospitals.

So I guess it depends if you resent the people you care about improving the care they receive for a minimal cost, or you wish them to receive the absolute minimal cheapest option available. It is a bit like having the option of a local guy use pliers to pull a tooth for 20 baht or go to a proper dentist!!

We use a local clinic to save going into town when the kids or family have fever, colds, coughs etc, minor ailments, usually get a couple of sets of tablets 100 - 300 baht but yes we pay. Doctor/clinic in Town used to be about 300 baht as I recall, depending on treatment required. If you have ever waited for an appointment at the hospital it is easy to know why people are prepared to pay a bit more for local doctor/clinic, with a baby in tow, local clinic is the obvious choice.

Archived