Mum’s plea after ‘big-hearted’ son, 29, who rescues Thai dogs, struck with brain tumour and needs £15,000 to fly home

snoop1130

4 hours ago, car720 said:

someone please enlighten me as to what insurance everyone is talking about?  Not Travel Insurance, that's for sure.  Does anyone seriously believe that a Thai insurance company would pay up?

You obviously dont have any either by your comment? Actually they do, been there done that. If thats what you are covered for in your policy they have to pay. AXA, Bupa are 2 that I have had and used, they have always paid. Bupa paid more than 4,000,000 for me over a 1 year period. It pays to have insurance..

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to make a point about insurance, I agree that the young should have it but I'm retired over here and will be 70 in a few months. The premiums that are required, if they allow me to be insured, are more than most hospital bills and are charged annually whether or not I have had any treatment, there is no no claims bonus so no I just pay as I go. 

11 hours ago, balo said:

Sorry even if you're young you need to take care of your body and be prepared , I am sure he could afford a cheap insurance, living in Thailand since 2014 , that's 4 years . 

Don’t worry insurance company would have found a reason not to pay out ,that’s why would be great to have insurance if you knew you would be covered,and not a lottery system 

1 hour ago, sungod said:

And there lies the real tragedy, health insurance for the young is easily affordable. Whilst that wont help this guy, hopefully any young people of a similar age reading this thread will take note.

No it won’t.... just like road fatality, the young always think they are invincible...it always happen to someone else. 

7 minutes ago, rocketdave said:

Just to make a point about insurance, I agree that the young should have it but I'm retired over here and will be 70 in a few months. The premiums that are required, if they allow me to be insured, are more than most hospital bills and are charged annually whether or not I have had any treatment, there is no no claims bonus so no I just pay as I go. 

Once over 70 youre on your own regarding insurance .Even before you reach that milestone pre existing conditions will,in many cases ,make you ineligible.Just pray you dont need major surgery and if you are visibly sick you wont get on a plane to get back to your own country which may still cover you.

Airlines have their own problems with liability.

1 hour ago, StefanBBK said:

Somehow I don't think so, since he just battled cancer. Surely either the insurance would have excluded cancer from cover for some time or raised the premium.  

He should have taken out insurance 4 years ago before coming to Thailand. He had cancer treatment 2 years ago, and provided he stayed with the same insurer, his subsequent premiums wouldn't have been affected.

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

Well then you have not seen those that do cover long term abroad. Many replies just in this post talk of expats having Travel Insurance that covers for 6---12 months outside their home country. The insured simply return  to their home country every 6---12 months and take out a new policy.

Most Travel Insurance policies that I have examined only cover for a maximum of 31 days in any one trip. 

3 hours ago, davethailand said:

I had Bupa Private health insurance in Thailand for years, on the few occasions I've claimed on it they always paid out.

And give a 10% cashback if you do not make a claim. So take that into account before you do claim.

3 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

When I had my first health insurrance made in Bangkok, the company asked me just to say no to all previous illness.

I asked why they wanted me to lie and they told me that the insurrance companies do not share information so they can not find out.....

Later after 1 year they forgot to renew the insurrance but they did charge my credit card.....

Now I only stick to my Thai social sequirty at a private hospital in BKK. Great free service and free medicine.... 432 Baht/Month

Can you elaborate please on Thai Social Security and 432 baht per month.?

13 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Most Travel Insurance policies that I have examined only cover for a maximum of 31 days in any one trip. 

There are several reputable companies offering travel insurance for people who have already commenced travel. 

Plus some platinum cards offer inbuilt travel insurance for people who have spent a certain amount of the cost using the card.

ANZ platinum cards has refunded me on two occasions. 

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

Once you've already had cancer once your chances of getting any kind of cheap insurance are pretty low.

I don't think (from the way I read it,) that he knew he was suffering with cancer until he woke up paralysed.  As a young person he could have presumably got health insurance before this event but now, certainly, no company will touch him. 

Just now, dallen52 said:

There are several reputable companies offering travel insurance for people who have already commenced travel. 

Plus some platinum cards offer inbuilt travel insurance for people who have spent a certain amount of the cost using the card.

ANZ platinum cards has refunded me on two occasions. 

But wasn't it that girl in Samui who was a travel agent, booked her holiday with a card, but wasn't covered in the end. Info about those companies you mention though please.

I have Bupa (now Aetna) insurance. When I went to a doctor abroad after a light accident to made an X-ray, I paid just about 100 USD and decided to test how my insurance refund works, but it appeared that a simple payment receipt and doctor's medical report was not enough - Bupa demanded so much paperwork to get from that hospital that I just gave up on getting that refund. Still it's a mere 100 bucks.

But I got a valuable lesson: Thai insurance is a Thai insurance - you will get things sorted out within the border, but when you travel abroad - get an extra travel insurance.

22 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

and  all state u must be resident for 6  months in your home country before taking it out and ticket out must be from your home country also.

23 minutes ago, hobobo said:

He should have taken out insurance 4 years ago before coming to Thailand. He had cancer treatment 2 years ago, and provided he stayed with the same insurer, his subsequent premiums wouldn't have been affected.

I don't disagree. Wonder how he paid for his first cancer treatment. Hope somehow it will work out for him. 

On 9/29/2018 at 5:29 PM, BestB said:

Platinum is 6, should upgrade????

Do it while you can.

ANZ costs $89 A year for  basic platinum card.

If you retire or stop working it may be hard to qualify for the card. 

As my ex found out.

Plus several other benefits..

I keep mine going because now retirement has hit, I probably wouldn't get it again. 

1 minute ago, StefanBBK said:

I don't disagree. Wonder how he paid for his first cancer treatment. Hope somehow it will work out for him. 

So do I. Life should not end at 29 - his best years are ahead of him.

4 hours ago, car720 said:

someone please enlighten me as to what insurance everyone is talking about?  Not Travel Insurance, that's for sure.  Does anyone seriously believe that a Thai insurance company would pay up?

I have Thai health insurance . been here for over 10 years . 5 years ago had accident 494.000 thb that payed with no problems . last week i just came out of hospital with a stomach infection stayed in hospital for 5 nights  total cost 66.000 that pays up with no problem. even sent me a text to say get well soon . so hope this helps . bearing in mind i am 70 and is renewable for life.  at a cost. next premium will be around 130.000 b for the year in my mind is well worth it.   

10 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Starting on pages 2-3 of this post you will see a number of persons who said they went home every 6--12 months to take out a new travel insurance policy that covered from anywhere from 6 ----12 months outside the country.  Even having  a Gold or Platinum MC gives you 3-(Gold)  6 --( Platinum)  months of free travel coverage. Cheap standard EU travel insurance only covers short term but you can buy longer term policy. Same as health insurance , my policy (USA) covers me wherever I travel or live in the world. 

On 9/29/2018 at 2:46 PM, BestB said:

Every 6 months or about 11 months I returned for home visits. With each return I took out new travel policy for a year and kept doing it for about 5-6 years

Did you ever make any claims? Which companies did you use please?

Im 45 year old and been in samui for 10 years with health insurance for about 8 of those years.

I pay 160 GBP per month with ensure for insurance , most of which covers inpatient treatment or severe accidents etc. I would not stay here without it as if something happens and you need to go to hospital then your screwed if you don't have any !! Nathon is the cheapest on the island and all the rest will bill you high daily prices so its no wonder he's getting charged 600 a day .

I have not lived in the UK for 7 years and been back once in that time. I cant remember what the timescale is that the NHS will not treat you for free if you have not been resident in the UK . I think it is either 2 or 4 years . If I returned looking for treatment there I guess they would treat me as im a UK citizen but they would bill me to a degree.

I did read before about some guy who needed treatment and returned to the UK . They treated him but done so at a reduced fee compared to what they would have billed non UK citizens .

4 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

Im 45 year old and been in samui for 10 years with health insurance for about 8 of those years.

I pay 160 GBP per month with ensure for insurance , most of which covers inpatient treatment or severe accidents etc. I would not stay here without it as if something happens and you need to go to hospital then your screwed if you don't have any !! Nathon is the cheapest on the island and all the rest will bill you high daily prices so its no wonder he's getting charged 600 a day .

I have not lived in the UK for 7 years and been back once in that time. I cant remember what the timescale is that the NHS will not treat you for free if you have not been resident in the UK . I think it is either 2 or 4 years . If I returned looking for treatment there I guess they would treat me as im a UK citizen but they would bill me to a degree.

I

If you say to the NHS that you are back for good, they will treat you and not bill you. You don't need to tell the you are going back here soon. Although I do agree that only persons who have paid INTO the NHS should get anything OUT of it.

Just now, wgdanson said:

If you say to the NHS that you are back for good, they will treat you and not bill you. You don't need to tell the you are going back here soon. Although I do agree that only persons who have paid INTO the NHS should get anything OUT of it.

Also from what I remember the guy who was treated had to bring his passport before they would treat him in the UK . No idea if they ask that of everyone or what nowadays .

41 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

But wasn't it that girl in Samui who was a travel agent, booked her holiday with a card, but wasn't covered in the end. Info about those companies you mention though please.

Certainly. 

It's useful to know. 

ANZ platinum is Australia.

Commonwealth bank is also Australia. 

ANZ is underwritten by Allianz.

Commonwealth bank you have to spend more than ANZ but get issued a certificate. 

The travel insurance for people who have already commenced travel is easy to find on Google..

Several companies. 

And not expensive. 

I normally notify the bank of my intention to travel. 

It's also security for your card too.

It came up when looking for insurance for a Thai friend who was going to the UK. 

You cannot for some reason take out cover for them if travelling to your home countries. UK or Oz.

They have to take out cover before leaving Thailand..

Which is certainly odd.

Because I tend to not stay permanently in Thailand and move to the UK or Australia because of family, it's worked well for me..

Two reasonable claims in three years and both paid.

24 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Possibly true.

And just for in topic information, I offer this.

Australia had a two years out of country rule.

Your Medicare and health care card may be cancelled. 

UK I have been in and out of for over 40 years and never had any problems with treatment. 

A link here.

http://www.expatarrivals.com/europe/united-kingdom/healthcare-united-kingdom

I was born in the UK went to Australia at 19.

I'm also registered with a UK doctors practice. 

And get pensioner rate prescription.

A detached retina was treated in A&E within hours, and no charge.

Scary thing is over the counter meds are not available same as Thailand. 

Something you have to live with. 

5 hours ago, car720 said:

yes, that's what i was thinking too。Do Thai insurance company pay up?

Archived